PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade early | later | through Bittorrent

3rdalbum
May 21st, 2006, 07:00 AM
On June 1st, people will be scrambling to update their distros or download CD images. The repositories in your countries might go down due to traffic, leaving many people with unstable half-upgraded systems and preventing administrators of earlier versions from applying security updates.

So I propose the following:

1. The people who are really REALLY keen on upgrading should dist-upgrade between May 26 and May 31st.
2. The people who would like to have the new system and have fast internet connections and high download limits should download between June 2nd and June 6th.
3. The people who have slower internet connections or lower download limits should download after June 6th.
4. The people who are already running Flight 7 or earlier should dist-upgrade on June 1st, as should the people in Group 1.

Alternatively, download the disc image(s) with BitTorrent and make them available to other users.

If a large enough number of people follow this guideline, then we won't see the mass of problems that occurred during last years' updates of SUSE and Mandriva.

RAV TUX
May 21st, 2006, 07:05 AM
On June 1st, people will be scrambling to update their distros or download CD images. The repositories in your countries might go down due to traffic, leaving many people with unstable half-upgraded systems and preventing administrators of earlier versions from applying security updates.

1. The people who are really REALLY keen on upgrading should dist-upgrade between May 26 and May 31st.
2. The people who would like to have the new system and have fast internet connections and high download limits should download between June 2nd and June 6th.
3. The people who have slower internet connections or lower download limits should download after June 6th.
4. The people who are already running Flight 7 or earlier should dist-upgrade on June 1st, as should the people in Group 1.

Alternatively, download the disc image(s) with BitTorrent and make them available to other users.

If a large enough number of people follow this guideline, then we won't see the mass of problems that occurred during last years' updates of SUSE and Mandriva.

Thanks for the guideline.

GarethMB
May 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
This probably won't happen. When dapper goes official people will probably want it so bad they'll just -dist on June 1. I'm already using Dapper though. But im going to download the ISO and reinstall just so i cant have a totally fresh system. But i might wait a bit before doing it.

graabein
May 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
But im going to download the ISO and reinstall just so i cant have a totally fresh system. But i might wait a bit before doing it.
Hi, I think I want to reinstall also to get rid of the ghost of old nvidia/xfree86 problems. I think I partitioned for that possibility when I installed Hoary many months ago. Can you take a look at my setup and tell me how to do it?

Here is my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hdd /media/dvd udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sda1 /mnt/store ext3 defaults 0 2

On the subject I think I will wait a couple days to update. A short week extra wait is fine by me, I just hope XGL/Compiz works flawlessly on my system! I have GeForce 6600 so I think it'll work...

Randomskk
May 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM
I'll probably be downloading the .iso of Kubuntu, and burning that twice - once for my server (swapping it to dapper! :D) and once for my main pc.
I'll then spend the rest of the day trying to back up my old system >_>

I don't feel so bad doing it because it's my birthday on June 1st :P

fornix
May 21st, 2006, 03:18 PM
I think if everyone downloads through torrents, there will be no traffic problems. But there should be at least one complete source seeding for that :)

RAV TUX
June 1st, 2006, 04:30 AM

lets remember these suggestions.