PDA

View Full Version : Facebook video calling

srisharan
July 7th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Facebook( + Skype )video calling is out.Not silver-light hence Linux supported(Sigh!!..:p).Supported browsers-FF,IE Safari and chrome.Chromium not supported :mad:

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 06:24 AM
not silverlight but the add-on is a.exe i believe which is not supported in linux ;-)

srisharan
July 7th, 2011, 06:43 AM
It is not?? damn :mad:

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 06:49 AM
It is not?? damn :mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ASsvsByKo

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
So, not linux supported but also not silverlight? I believe I win back my money and then 1.5 times that. *pays self 7.50$*
Oh, and we can chalk facebook up to the list of things people will complain about when swapping to linux now,the rest being itunes, netflix, MSO, most games (regression), and photoshop. Go team MS!

doorknob60
July 7th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Uhh, why couldn't they just use Flash or something? As much as I bag on Flash, to me it makes more sense to use a plugin that already is out there and everyone has than to create a new proprietary plugin that people have to go out of their way to install. Hopefully they'll put something together for Linux eventually, but right now I'm not all that optimistic.

Dustin2128
July 7th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Uhh, why couldn't they just use Flash or something? As much as I bag on Flash, to me it makes more sense to use a plugin that already is out there and everyone has than to create a new proprietary plugin that people have to go out of their way to install.
'Cos skype is owned by MS. It's what they do. The agreements said that they had to continue making non-windows versions of skype- said nothing about new development as far as I know.

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Well i personally stopped using Facebook a short while ago, however i find it ironic that

according to http://developers.facebook.com/opensource/ they have developed FB from the ground up on open source software.

There servers run LAMP and on Big-IP 9.4.6.

and so they make a .exe for their new product launch ;-)

MS and FB together = 1984 ;-)

beew
July 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Well no Linux support, what a surprise. It doesn't affect me personally, but I imagine it is going to be quite tough for Canonical, which appears to have been gearing up Ubuntu to target that particular demographic for whom this feature is very important. Unity is not going to win over such "average users" if there is no Skype on facebook, and probably no Skype at all eventually.

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Well no Linux support, what a surprise. It doesn't affect me personally, but I imagine it is going to be quite tough for Canonical, which appears to have been gearing up Ubuntu to appeal to target that particular demographic for whom this feature is very important.

i like the way you summaried the target audience in a very articulate and non flammatory manner so as to avoid an infraction, or was that just me with a certain view ? LOL ;-)

handy
July 7th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I reckon that there is a good chance that Google will step up on this one with their new Facebook challenge, if they want to succeed they must be able to do everything that Facebook can & some.

If anyone can do it, Google can.

beew
July 7th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I reckon that there is a good chance that Google will step up on this one with their new Facebook challenge, if they want to succeed they must be able to do everything that Facebook can & some.

And probably still no Linux support.

Grenage
July 7th, 2011, 08:59 AM

Google don't have an amazing history of Linux support, but it is a minority market share.

ZarathustraDK
July 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, this makes me root for Google+ too.

Sure Google may not be particular Linux-centric, but still look at the battlefield:

- Google wants to beat Facebook.
- Facebooks weakness in this regard is its privacy concerns and unsupported clientele; Google would want to snatch these up ASAP.
- Facebook uses a proprietary codec for its video-conferencing thus being subject to licensing-terms and the bill that follows. Any offspring-service of this would be subjected to the same conditions.
- Facebook is in bed with Microsoft. Microsoft makes money off licensing Skype to Facebook.
- Microsoft leeches off of Android with imaginary patents, making money from Googles product.
- Google makes revenue through advertising and are thus more positively geared towards open source as they don't focus on selling software. Google summer of code is an example thereof.
- Google+ is still in its infancy, it will need major code-contributions to suprseed Facebook.
- Guess who like to contribute code, Open source users.

Anyone in their right mind would say that the course is clear: Make Google+ as open as humanly possible, codecs, protocols, API's etc. Google need every inch they can gain over Facebook and Microsoft in regards to wooing users on this one.

Also, Facebook and Microsoft is hogtied to each other by now because of Skype. All it takes to make them redundant in that department is a widely adopted open sourced voice/video-protocol. It's the software equivalent of scorched earth, only it's not illegal, and everybody but Microsoft and Facebook will prosper from it.

handy
July 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Google is by far the largest supporter of open-source software on the planet.

It is worth remembering that.

Grenage
July 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM

That has nothing to do with supporting Linux, however. ;)

handy
July 7th, 2011, 12:25 PM
That has nothing to do with supporting Linux, however. ;)

Agreed, though I do like to live in hope... :)

srisharan
July 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
This is the last straw.I am now officially rooting for google in the google+ vs fb war :guitar:

Ric_NYC
July 7th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Didn't we have video calling in the 1990's?

Grenage
July 7th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Didn't we have video calling in the 1990's?

If you can't use a website to chat, post images, stream web-cams, and generally plan your life, it's just not cool enough.

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
If you can't use a website to chat, post images, stream web-cams, and generally plan your life, it's just not cool enough.

we could get a video calling plugin for this forum quicker than we are likely to get one for facebook on linux ;-)

Grenage
July 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
we could get a video calling plugin for this forum quicker than we are likely to get one for facebook on linux ;-)

That would not surprise me at all; at least the Linux user base % is high enough to justify it! ;)

Ric_NYC
July 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I think they are making billions of dollars with old ideas.

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 04:21 PM
That would not surprise me at all; at least the Linux user base % is high enough to justify it! ;)

oh i dunno, have you browsed the threads lately ? i think there are more windows users here....mind you now the FB videocallng is not supported i am sure that will thin out now ;-)

ctrlmd
July 7th, 2011, 04:35 PM
i think they are going to release a linux package later on since linux has skype app

cgroza
July 7th, 2011, 04:46 PM
i think they are going to release a linux package later on since linux has skype app
Which looks like it's coming from the neolithic compared to the Windows/Mac one.

White-Energy
July 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think so.

Bandit
July 9th, 2011, 01:22 AM
If its just a program I am sure something will get wrote soon that uses the video chat protocols. No different then using yahoo, live, ICQ, and facebook chat now. If its using a network, its got protocols that can be hacked.

cgroza
July 9th, 2011, 03:31 AM
If its just a program I am sure something will get wrote soon that uses the video chat protocols. No different then using yahoo, live, ICQ, and facebook chat now. If its using a network, its got protocols that can be hacked.
Well, if they use Skype's protocol that it is not going to happen.

wambagilles
July 11th, 2011, 11:40 AM
is it not possible for linux users to write their own unofficial plugin to support the video calling feature of facebook right in linux?

medic2000
July 11th, 2011, 12:17 PM

It is worth remembering that.

Google is exploiting the free software not "really" supporting it. What did Google do for Linux users? For free software? They are only using great open source programs to make their capital more. Yes Google you are evil!

Gremlinzzz
July 11th, 2011, 12:20 PM
So now what to do,go back and rejoin face book just for vc .I found no real use for face book and ended up with hundreds of friends i didn't even know.
this one wants to be your friend so i just clicked ok.before i new i had a chit load of people.so i cancel face book:D

KIAaze
July 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Google is exploiting the free software not "really" supporting it. What did Google do for Linux users? For free software? They are only using great open source programs to make their capital more. Yes Google you are evil!

Troll?

What about the Google Summer of Code: https://code.google.com/soc/
And all the software they release as open-source like chromium and android?
Are they exploiting Free software more than all the people who use Free software, but don't pay/donate/develop/etc for it?

As Stallman says (https://guiodic.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/richard-stallman-interview/): "Google does things which are good, things which are neutral, and things which are bad."

Don't be so manichaean. :)

medic2000
July 11th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Troll?

What about the Google Summer of Code: https://code.google.com/soc/
And all the software they release as open-source like chromium and android?
Are they exploiting Free software more than all the people who use Free software, but don't pay/donate/develop/etc for it?

As Stallman says (https://guiodic.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/richard-stallman-interview/): "Google does things which are good, things which are neutral, and things which are bad."

Don't be so manichaean. :)

Oh no people are so prejudiced. You labeled me as a troll instantly which i have never been. What i am trying to say is Google bases almost all of its programs on open source. Makes millions of dollars from them. But what i gives is very very little. Plus Linux support in Google programs are either missing or poor.

cgroza
July 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM
is it not possible for linux users to write their own unofficial plugin to support the video calling feature of facebook right in linux?
Not until someone gets the protocol specifications from Skype or should I say Microsoft.

NCLI
July 11th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Google don't have an amazing history of Linux support, but it is a minority market share.

They don't?? I'm not trying to be a fanboy here, but I literally can't think of a single instance where I've found their Linux support lacking. Oh, except for Google Desktop for some reason, but I never cared much about that, though I guess it counts.

el_koraco
July 11th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Like, Chrome is the only browser that sets up a repository for Linux. Google Talk voice plugin.

lykwydchykyn
July 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Not supporting Linux is one thing, but making it an .exe that only supports Windows is silly at this point. I suspect there is a good chunk of people who do not access their social networking through Windows any more -- OSX, iOS, and Android ought not be sneezed at, and more are (potentially coming): webOS, WindowsPhone (which is *not* Windows), ChromeOS, etc.

This just seems like a dangerous time to develop platform-specific technology on the web. But whatever.

cgroza
July 11th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Not supporting Linux is one thing, but making it an .exe that only supports Windows is silly at this point. I suspect there is a good chunk of people who do not access their social networking through Windows any more -- OSX, iOS, and Android ought not be sneezed at, and more are (potentially coming): webOS, WindowsPhone (which is *not* Windows), ChromeOS, etc.

This just seems like a dangerous time to develop platform-specific technology on the web. But whatever.
So that means that Mac users are in the same boat as Linux users...

haqking
July 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM

Well FB are shortly brining out the FB app for the Ipad so i am sure there will be OSX development

KIAaze
July 11th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Oh no people are so prejudiced. You labeled me as a troll instantly which i have never been. What i am trying to say is Google bases almost all of its programs on open source. Makes millions of dollars from them. But what i gives is very very little. Plus Linux support in Google programs are either missing or poor.

Yes, sorry, I apologize for that. It was uncalled for.
As for the rest, yes, I kind of agree. Google's main goal isn't supporting Free software, it's making money. At least they do support it, which is better than nothing.

NCLI
July 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, sorry, I apologize for that. It was uncalled for.
As for the rest, yes, I kind of agree. Google's main goal isn't supporting Free software, it's making money. At least they do support it, which is better than nothing.
So does every other big company supporting free software, without which Linux wouldn't be anywhere near as usable as it is today. ;)

DangerOnTheRanger
July 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Even if such a thing existed (a FB video calling plugin for Linux), I wouldn't be caught dead using it. FB is FB.

Slightly (okay, very) off-topic, just how often do you change your sig, haqking? I've seen at least 3 different ones in the past 1-2 months or so.

srisharan
July 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM

No,Mac users have it,only linux of all desktop environments dont

http://www.techstuffs.net/2011/07/how-to-setup-facebook-video-calling-in.html

Swagman
July 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I really can't see video chat taking off to be honest.

I'd be taping over the camera lens when I wasn't using it for a start.

haqking
July 13th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Even if such a thing existed (a FB video calling plugin for Linux), I wouldn't be caught dead using it. FB is FB.

Slightly (okay, very) off-topic, just how often do you change your sig, haqking? I've seen at least 3 different ones in the past 1-2 months or so.

Yeah cos i got told to change it by the mods. shock ;-)

ranjit.
November 16th, 2011, 05:12 PM
oh man thats really bad, what Microsoft is doing, when ever i need to call i have to restart my system to the boring old Microsoft vista (:() to make the call and come back to ubuntu when im done, hey cant any one of u guys just develop some thing for pidgin then? hoping that happens :D

johnnybgoode83
November 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
It doesn't bother me because I requested my Facebook account be deleted 2 weeks ago and I do not miss it in the slightest.

alexstrand7
March 9th, 2013, 10:45 PM
I have the jar file for video call on mac.

Can it be used on Ubuntu?

Alex!

rocketfish201
March 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Uhh, why couldn't they just use Flash or something? As much as I bag on Flash, to me it makes more sense to use a plugin that already is out there and everyone has than to create a new proprietary plugin that people have to go out of their way to install. Hopefully they'll put something together for Linux eventually, but right now I'm not all that optimistic.

As far as I can tell it is using flash player.

QIII
March 9th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Thank you for sharing. Everyone’s questions and answers are valuable.

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.