PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is the meaning of 'tty'?

lovelinuxfreedom
July 7th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I started my computer with a problem that all of the windows without title bars. I tried to logout my laptop, and the problem was solved. I opened one terminal window, type 'who', founded that i was login the system as 'tty8'. That was really funny, I know that if i login the system normally i may login the system as 'tty7'.
Can someone tell me why i login as 'tty8' when logout one time? My edition is ubuntu 10.04.

haqking
July 7th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I started my computer with a problem that all of the windows without title bars. I tried to logout my laptop, and the problem was solved. I opened one terminal window, type 'who', founded that i was login the system as 'tty8'. That was really funny, I know that if i login the system normally i may login the system as 'tty7'.
Can someone tell me why i login as 'tty8' when logout one time? My edition is ubuntu 10.04.

tty means term type and is a terminal emulator (console) of which you can have 6 and 7 onwards for X

ctrl + alt + f1-f7 etc to cyvle through

tty8 is not usually configured for anything but can be changed

lovelinuxfreedom
July 8th, 2011, 04:51 AM
tty means term type and is a terminal emulator (console) of which you can have 6 and 7 onwards for X

ctrl + alt + f1-f7 etc to cyvle through

tty8 is not usually configured for anything but can be changed

Got it! Thank u for your brief reply!:)