PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] KDE Desktop Panel Re-creation

SunfireSSR
July 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM
New to the KDE plasma Desktop.I deleted the original desktop panel on my desktop. How do I re-create it. I deleted it when I thought I was deleting (1) of (6) WeatherLCD widgets I put on it not knowing what I was doing. Thanks in advance...

Alwimo
July 7th, 2011, 03:31 AM
I'm a bit rusty with KDE, but:

Right-click on the wallpaper and choose 'New Panel'.

Or if you mean the translucent "Desktop" plasmoid: right-click, choose new plasmoid, choose 'Folder View'.

SeijiSensei
July 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
If you don't mind starting from scratch, reboot into "recovery mode," then

cd /home/username
mv .kde .kde.bad

Reboot. Now KDE will rebuild your desktop with the defaults. If you haven't invested much in desktop themes, backgrounds, etc., this is the easiest and fastest solution. By renaming your old directory to .kde.bad you can always copy over files from your old configuration if you know what you're looking for.

ankspo71
July 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Hi,
It is like Alwimo said, but if you locked your widgets after you accidentally deleted your panel... you will first need to unlock the widgets by right clicking on the desktop and choose "unlock widgets". Then the "add widgets" and "add panel" will appear in the right click menu when you right click on your desktop.
Hope this helps.

SunfireSSR
July 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
The only recovery mode I know of is the Gnome Recovery at the login screen. I installed the KDE Plasma desktop on Ubuntu 10.04.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, I should be able to do the following:
Open a terminal window.
Run the commands listed above.
Logout of the Gnome Desktop.
Log back into the KDE Desktop.
Shazam !!! (LOL !!!)

SunfireSSR
July 8th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Well, I can't find the .kde directory. It does not exist in my home directory.

lykwydchykyn
July 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
If you have any saved KDE configurations coming up, you do have a .kde directory. Remember that files beginning with '.' are hidden.

But you shouldn't need to do all that just to get back the default panel. Just right click the desktop and "add panel", one of the choices should be "default panel".

SunfireSSR
July 9th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the "." info. I wasn't sure if it was hidden, but it took the commands and the desktop is back to it's original look. Now to figure out why I can't see the LCD Weather widget. I added one only this time, but it hasn't shown up.

Thanks Again for your help everyone !!!