PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntuforums: how take the best from this site?

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 05:18 AM
Hi all,

I came up with this question since I do get the feeling that I do not take the best from this trully helpful site. I don't have much experience on internet forums mainly because I never invested much time on it.

Since there are a lot of experienced users here, I ask you to share your views on how to take the best of this tool.

e.g:
Do you subscribe to all threads you post?
Do you hang around just a specific part of the forum, like Server Talk, or you try to keep up with all that is happening on other parts?

aysiu
May 21st, 2006, 05:25 AM
Help others. That's the way to get the best from this site.

I started off in just Absolute Beginner and Ubuntu Cafe (at the time, it was called Community Chat).

Then, I just started looking at all "new posts."
Then, I whittled that down to just certain subforums.

I've learned by teaching and by listening to others.

Oh, and this Google search is the best:
site:ubuntuforums.org name of problem

bluevoodoo1
May 21st, 2006, 05:31 AM
Under User CP go to Edit Options

There is a place that says "Default Thread Subscription Mode." From there you can automatically add a subscription to threads you create or post to. (rather than manually doing it for each thread you post to).

aysiu
May 21st, 2006, 05:32 AM
Under User CP go to Edit Options

There is a place that says "Default Thread Subscription Mode" from there you can automatically add a subscription to threads you create or post to. (rather than manually doing it for each thread you post to). I only recently discovered this feature, and it's great. It's a good thing to have it automatically subscribe. You can always unsubscribe for certain threads manually.

RAV TUX
May 21st, 2006, 05:59 AM
Help others. That's the way to get the best from this site.

I started off in just Absolute Beginner and Ubuntu Cafe (at the time, it was called Community Chat).

Then, I just started looking at all "new posts."
Then, I whittled that down to just certain subforums.

I've learned by teaching and by listening to others.

Oh, and this Google search is the best:
site:ubuntuforums.org name of problem

If you use firefox I find using the ubuntuforums search engine the best.

1. go here:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=ubuntu&sherlock=yes&opensearch=&submitform=Search

2. add ubuntu forums (select it, when the pop-up box comes up 'add search engine' select ok)

3. when you have a problem, select Ubuntuforums as your search engine, type in your keyword, example: gaim and it will take you to all the post on gaim. if you don't see what you need start a new thread in the absolute beginner forum.

henriquemaia
May 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have learned some more things now. Thanks for sharing it.

ubuntu_demon
May 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
If you use firefox I find using the ubuntuforums search engine the best.

1. go here:

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/download.html?name=ubuntu&sherlock=yes&opensearch=&submitform=Search

2. add ubuntu forums (select it, when the pop-up box comes up 'add search engine' select ok)

3. when you have a problem, select Ubuntuforums as your search engine, type in your keyword, example: gaim and it will take you to all the post on gaim. if you don't see what you need start a new thread in the absolute beginner forum.
thnx! cool tip. I didn't know that :-D

ubuntu_demon
May 21st, 2006, 05:11 PM
I try to regularly check :

-my subscribed threads
-the general staff forum(only for staff ofcourse)
-ubuntu cafe
-the development forum (currently Dapper Drake)

If I've got time in my hands I go to "unanswered posts" or "all new posts" or hang around on the rest of the forum.

There are almost always some people to help or some threads to move :).

oscar
May 21st, 2006, 05:58 PM
I don't always subscribe to the threads I post in but I do like to check up on them.
Search > Advanced Search > Search by User Name
Enter your username and submit.

Or shorter, make this link a favorite.
http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=process&titleonly=0&searchuser=USERNAME&starteronly=0&exactname=1&replyless=0&replylimit=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&sortby=lastpost&order=descending&showposts=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=0&childforums=1&dosearch=Search+Now&saveprefs=1
Rename it and change the searchuser from "USERNAME" to your ubuntu forums username. Whenever you click it it will search for threads that you have posted in. (I just made that link now, I think it should work)
I find it useful.

Klaidas
May 21st, 2006, 07:32 PM
Do you subscribe to all threads you post?
No. I subscribe to thread that are most interesting for me. :) Subscribing to all of threads in which I post woould simply flood my inbox.

Do you hang around just a specific part of the forum, like Server Talk, or you try to keep up with all that is happening on other parts?

I'm mostly on Ubuntu Cafe and Beginners forum. Hoewer, I view/post on about 80% of forums.

How do I take best?
I help others, I discuss, I ask for help :

henriquemaia
May 22nd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Great advices from everyone. Thanks a lot. It's nice to see the different approaches.