PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Revert to Unity

sandy_
July 6th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I had logged in once with Ubuntu Classic as the session and since then whenever the GDM greeter comes up it always selects Ubuntu Classic as the default session. I tried editing the .dmrc configuration but it didn't work out. I want Unity back as the default session.

ajgreeny
July 6th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Use the session menu, bottom right, after choosing your user, but before the password entry.

Presumably that is how you chose classic desktop in the first place, so I'm surprised you did not realise that is how to do it.

TBABill
July 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM
+1 the default will be the last session type you used. Simply choose Unity, login and enjoy. When you logoff or restart you should boot back into Unity. This is done at the login screen where you select your user and enter your password. Choose user, go to the bottom of the screen and choose Unity where it probably now says Ubuntu Classic, then click enter. Do not hit enter until you choose your session type!

sandy_
July 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Problem is even if I select Unity at the GDM greeter as you said and then type in my password, the next time I boot, it still keeps selecting Ubuntu Classic as the default session. Everytime I log in I have to select Ubuntu manually as my session.

grahammechanical
July 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Another way to fix this (possibly) is to go to System Settings>Login screen. Unlock the dialog box and from the menu Select ... as default session.

See, if that works.

Regards.

sandy_
July 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Another way to fix this (possibly) is to go to System Settings>Login screen. Unlock the dialog box and from the menu Select ... as default session.

See, if that works.

Regards.

Tried that too... But didn't work out... :confused:

wojox
July 8th, 2011, 06:25 AM
What does your .dmrc file look like?

sandy_
July 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
What does your .dmrc file look like?

Here's what it looks like :

[Desktop]
Language=en_IN
Layout=us
Langlist=en_IN:en
LCMess=en_IN.UTF-8
Session=gnome

wojox
July 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Delete the Session=gnome and see what happens.

sandy_
July 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Delete the Session=gnome and see what happens.

That didn't work either. After I rebooted it kept selecting Ubuntu Classic by default. :confused:

Krytarik
July 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
sandy_, in fact GDM pulls in "/var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrc" upon the first login:
https://defect.opensolaris.org/bz/show_bug.cgi?id=14575#c5

So, please check the content of this file, and also -and specifically- its permissions, they should be 644 and owned by your user.

Greetings.

sandy_
July 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM
sandy_, in fact GDM pulls in "/var/cache/gdm/USERNAME/dmrc" upon the first login:
https://defect.opensolaris.org/bz/show_bug.cgi?id=14575#c5

So, please check the content of this file, and also -and specifically- its permissions, they should be 644 and owned by your user.

Greetings.

There was a problem with permissions here. A chmod did the trick. Thanks for the help...