View Full Version : United Inflight entertainment

smellyman
July 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
booting up. :) Possibly Debian....

Quadunit404
July 7th, 2011, 05:50 AM
United uses Linux in their IFE?

There are two possibilities:

1. The pilots forgot to boot the IFE before the passengers boarded.
2. You got a Continental plane in the "new" United colors (aka Continental's colors with "UNITED" slapped on it.)

Bucky Ball
July 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM
A very old version, Jan 2002. Hmm.

smellyman
July 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM

2. You got a Continental plane in the "new" United colors (aka Continental's colors with "UNITED" slapped on it.)

You're right. It may have been Continental as they are the same or "partners"? They ended up re-booting it about 3x I think.

Random_Dude
July 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM

How to you know what each airline company uses in their IFE?

Bart_D
July 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Hahaha! LOL!:p:p:p

Good Question!:D:D

jwbrase
July 7th, 2011, 05:20 PM
When flying back from Europe last summer on Virgin Atlantic, both me and the gal next to me had our IFE's take kernel panics (revealing in the process that they were Linux-based).

Quadunit404
July 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM

I know that there are airlines that use Windows Server for IFE. I've seen it before on airliners.net, in a photo of an A380's cockpit :lolflag: unfortunately I cannot seem to find that photo.

jvgeli
July 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yup, was also surprised when Tux booted in front of me on a flight to Hongkong on a Cathay and to Schipol on a KLM. It seems they use Linux on IFE more often nowadays. Seems to me like its RPM based, could be Red Hat.

Docaltmed
July 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I flew Northwest/KLM to Schipool 3 years ago, I got to watch a reboot as well. I noted with some surprise that they were using ext4, as I recall at that time ext4 still had problems with large file corruption on unexpected shutdowns.