PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows Vista/Ubuntu 10.04 dual boot failure

MZ250Supa5
July 6th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I have been dual booting Windows and Ubuntu for a number of years with success, that was with an XP/Ubuntu combination. However, now that I try it with Vista loader, it seems that Windows has taken over my HDD. I've tried installing Windows and then using the Ubuntu Live CD, and whilst that starts to load initially,it gets to the point where it usually loads an istallation GUI, and all I see is a rather garbled image of either the login page of Vista, or the shutdown page. This 'fault' if indeed it is that has even affected an XP installation that I tried by way of experimentation, though I get the XP shutdown image in stead. I've tried reformatting the HDD with Gparted, and then creating separate partitions, one for Windows and the other for Ubuntu - which I have achieved successfully on my main machine - indeed that method worked like a dream, and in fact is a triple-boot, as I have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu 10.04 installed.

I've also tried installing Ubuntu using and Alternate CD, and this installs most of the way, but refuses to install GRUB 2, and so of course it won't boot up. I'm getting pretty frustrated, and wouldn't normally consider insatlling anything Windows, as I consider it to be a poor operating system in many ways. I don't wish to feed the conspiracy theory communities secret suspicion by suggesting that Microsoft make their products this way deliberately, (though I do wonder) it's just a bad product that is sold in the assumption that it'll be the only OS on a system - though with the advent of Natty and Unity, we'll have an OS just awful as any Windows installation.

MZ250Supa5
July 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Ha ha, silly me thought it was nasty Windows causing me trouble... turned out to be a nasty Nvidia graphics card.