PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stable Firefox 4 for Lucid?

emanuel.landeholm
July 6th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Hello!

I'm doing web development on my laptop and I need to use the stable version of Firefox 4. The problem is that my laptop (acer aspire 5000) is running lucid* and there is no stable Fx4 in the repo. I do have the firefox nightly, but I would like to have a stable Fx4 too.

Is there a ppa or should I attempt to build a .deb myself? Does anybody know if there is a lot of work to do that, or has anybody here done it themselves?

* I can't dist upgrade because of a regression that makes my laptop overheat. This regression is in maverick. I could try natty but i haven't found any info that regression is fixed in natty.

dino99
July 6th, 2011, 08:57 AM
looking at mozilla and launchpad, it seems that FF4 is either: 3.6.16/18, then we get directly FF5 (which is the stable one). Note that FF6/7/8 will be released this year too (very short time releases)

mastablasta
July 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
have a look at this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1712247

PPA indeed exists for FF5 and more. FF4 is now EOL. PPA will upgrade so you should be able to have your bookmarks and all intact. but you can back them up anyway just to be safe.

emanuel.landeholm
July 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ok, thanks guys. I didn't realize that FF4 is eol. I will look into the FF5 ppa.