PDA

View Full Version : KDE vs GNOME applications

nickle
May 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM
In the last weeks I have moved to GNOME in Dapper and is has really grown on me as desktop environment, despite many years KDE use. Once you get used to it seems much cleaner than KDE and I now clearly think it "looks" better than KDE out of the box.

However, I am struggling to find GNOME applications that have the same functionality as the KDE equivalents. Here is my impression and please note this is not intended as a bashing session!!!! I am genuinely interested in exploring the available options and hearing what others have to say...

Kontact does not have an equivalent that works as well. Evolution is clearly inferior as some else here has nicely pointed out. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=36530
There is no kile equivalent I am aware of
Amarok does not have an equivalent with as much functionality, especially the new version, it is unbeatable
Digikam does not have an equal. It is a wonderful application.
Konqueror although it has the irritating habit of crashing too often is more powerful. I use it mainly as a file manager in KDE and not as a web browser since I prefer Firefox. Given the instability, my thoughs are split on this one: Nautilis is simpler and cleaner.
K3b is also unbeatable, although I can live with the equivalents
Printing seems to have more options in KDE
Well Synatpic is one application that GNOME wins hands down
Gimp is also one hell of a powerful GNOME package which KDE does not match.Any thoughts or suggestions?

RAV TUX
May 21st, 2006, 12:27 AM
Amarok does not have an equivalent with as much functionality, especially the new version, it is unbeatable

try Gmusicbrowser

http://squentin.free.fr/gmusicbrowser/gmusicbrowser.html

JoshHendo
May 21st, 2006, 12:30 AM
Lots of KDE programs will work on GNOME. Try the ones that you like and see if they do work.

ComplexNumber
May 21st, 2006, 12:36 AM
There is no kile equivalent I am aware of winefish, amyedit

Amarok does not have an equivalent with as much functionality, especially the new version, it is unbeatable i personally avoid amorak like the plague for a multitude of good reasons. i much rather have many dedicated applications that do that particular niche better than anything else. just because its the biggest and the ugliest, doesn't make it the best. its a bit like when people use emacs to edit a text document rather than leafpad, for example. its just a waste IMO. there are lots of really good music applications in gnome that can do their job as good as any, in addition to being more reliable

Digikam does not have an equal. It is a wonderful application. once you've used gqview, you will soon forget that you ever said that.

K3b is also unbeatable, although I can live with the equivalents don't know about that because i don't use that functionality

Printing seems to have more options in KDE ditto

Well Synatpic is one application that GNOME wins hands down try one called Smart

Gimp is also one hell of a powerful GNOME package which KDE does not match. for vectors, try inkscape.

joaodalvi
May 21st, 2006, 02:56 AM
Yeah, AmaroK Rules :twisted:

AlexandreP
May 21st, 2006, 03:20 AM
You might want to try Listen: http://listengnome.free.fr It may not be as complete as Amarok is right now, but the project is currently in active development.

http://listengnome.free.fr/img/screenshot/accueil_mini.png (http://listengnome.free.fr/img/screenshot/accueil.png)

For Kile, I have to agree that is is a really good application. I have used a bit of Winefish, but I did not feel that comfortable with it. Kile works great in GNOME, though, just as all the other KDE/Qt applications if the required packages are correctly installed.

I have not used the other applications, so I cannot really have an opinion on them. Digikam is a tool used to manage photo libraries, doesn't it? If so, you might want to look at F-Spot (http://f-spot.org).

nickle
May 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yyou might want to look at F-Spot (http://f-spot.org).

This is truely an interesting application and somehow nicely combines the GNOME "simplicity" with nice functionality. Many thanks for the tip...

nickle
May 21st, 2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks also for some of the other suggestions; I have looked at them all, but I am still not convinced by the alternatives. I am aware that I can run KDE applications in GNOME (which is what I love about the two DEs), however, I like to use native applications where possible....

AndyCooll
May 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
K3B has its GNOME equivalent in Gnomebaker.

I use GNOME, however when I do an install I always do a Kubuntu desktop install too. For although I prefer GNOME overall I use a combination of GNOME/KDE programs. For instance I prefer K3B to Gnomebaker, I like Gwenview and Amarok etc etc. You might find that running purely native applications is a little restrictive.

:cool:

bluenova
May 23rd, 2006, 10:58 AM
I use gnome as I never got on with KDE, but for programs I run:
Amarok
K3B
Digicam

As there is just no software in gnome which compares to these packages. They all run fine in gnome, they might just take a couple of milliseconds longer to open.

disturbed1
May 23rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
What feature(s) does K3B have, besides create audio/data/burn iso/disc copy did you need. Those 3 features are built into Nautilus, Gnome Baker does a fine job also. If it's the DVD ripping/encoding part, check out Acid Rip or Thoggen.

For Music I just use rhythmbox :D. Has no issues with my ogg library, and catalogs our SMB mp3 files just fine. I actually don't like listen or GMusic, too much stuff for me. But if I needed an app that showed more info, I'd choose Listen. But I'm not one to stare at my music player, I like back ground music while I'm working, so my view could be different.

FSpot is great.

As far as Kontact goes, I just use GMail for everything including the calender.

Not sure about the printing. I click print, and choose either my Epson inkjet or Samsung laser. All option are support for both printers, and I always get a WYSIWYG output, maybe I'm missing something and didn't know it :-k

x2l2
June 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Thoggen is great and very simple , but i cant get subtitles and extra-audio from the dvds :(

i looking for info about acidrip but looks that cant read my dvd discs

about music programs i like exfalso

sharkboy
June 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Kdissert is imo a very useful app, and can import freemind files while the opposite is not true.

kdvi has no gnome equal imo.

konqueror is more powerful as a filebrowser than nautilus in my opinion. I'm thinking of fish and previewing fonts.

Those are the only kde apps I still use -- all the rest is gnome for me.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
They are fine in their own environments, but running QT apps in GNOME looks horrid, but running GTK+ apps in KDE apparently works well.

Carnwaj
June 16th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Hi,

I too have used KDE and now feel more at home in Gnome. There is a writer on Tux Magazine who really slags off Gnome and heaps praise on KDE. I just don't get it.

K3b is very good. I liked Amarok but now use Listen almost exclusively.

Keep experimenting. Why not get VectorLinux and try out Enlightenment?

SlugO
June 16th, 2006, 08:53 PM
As for Amarok your're probably right, Gnome music players don't have as much functionality even though the likes of Exaile are trying. Actually I used to think that Amarok was the best music player in Linux and the only real choice with a big collection of 7000 songs. But a few months ago when Rhythmbox updated to version 0.90 and beyond I noticed that it actually has everything I need. It's full featured, not too heavy, supports streams and podcasts, has Last.fm support, is easy to use and has the best method of keeping the library up-to-date (aka not a total heavy re-scan). It's my music player of choice nowadays :)

sharkboy
June 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM
They are fine in their own environments, but running QT apps in GNOME looks horrid, but running GTK+ apps in KDE apparently works well.

Use kcontrol to set a proper kde theme and icons, and qtconfig-qt3 for qt3apps. With the klearlooks theme and tango icons, kde integrates very well in a gnome environment with clearlooks and tango icons.

INMCM
June 16th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Well for my collection or nearly 35,000 tracks, Amarok w/ MySQL database backend is the only thing that doesn't choke or eat 400MB of RAM. While Amarok does have a ton of cool features, the performance capabilties are what really bind me to Amarok. Otherwise, I'd be all over Listen which is basically Amarok Lite written in GTK.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Use kcontrol to set a proper kde theme and icons, and qtconfig-qt3 for qt3apps. With the klearlooks theme and tango icons, kde integrates very well in a gnome environment with clearlooks and tango icons.
What I mean is that it should look good out the box, just like GTK+ apps look good in Kubuntu out the box. Anyway, I don't use any QT applications, apart from Google Earth.

sharkboy
June 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM
What I mean is that it should look good out the box, just like GTK+ apps look good in Kubuntu out the box. Anyway, I don't use any QT applications, apart from Google Earth.

'Out of the box' is just a setting. The reason gtk apps look decent in kde is that in kde, you usually set the gtk settings at the same time as you set the qt settings.

bruce89
June 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM
'Out of the box' is just a setting. The reason gtk apps look decent in kde is that in kde, you usually set the gtk settings at the same time as you set the qt settings.
A package in Kubuntu is called gtk2-engines-gtk-qt (which renders GTK+ widgets with QT), but there is no QT theme which uses GTK+ for rendering.