PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unity "look" in other distros

DCmartiX
July 6th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Good evening.

I run a very standard Ubuntu 10.04 LTS install. I have only added 6 apps from my initial 7.10 (which was pre-installed). I realize the Gnome is not KDE, is not XFCE, is not LXDE. I also realize that there is a difference between a WM and a DE. But my question is this: Are all the *buntus going to be forced by Canonical to LOOK like Unity?

If I migrate to Lubuntu, I'd rather like to have their clean, cool, blue default enviro. I like menus and I even like CLI ops sometimes (cp, mv, rm, find, apt-get, etc.). I am not a developer nor Sys Admin -not even close in another lifetime!- but Unity thrilleth me not.

Yes, I have read about installing kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, or lubuntu-desktop from a stock Ubuntu, but I am a tad bit nervous about it. I went so far as to install openbox and now I choose THAT session at login. It's quick and I have a CLEAN desktop.

Thank you, again.

Marti

snowpine
July 6th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Hi Marti,

If you go to the Lubuntu/Xubuntu/Kubuntu homepages, you can see extensive screenshots so you can judge for yourself. :)

You can also use the "vanilla" look & feel if you like. For example, install "lxde" to get the "generic" LXDE, but install "lubuntu-desktkop" to get the Ubuntu-style artwork.

And of course you know you can infinitely customize the wallpaper, theme, etc. of any desktop environment, right?

www.xfce-look.org
www.lxde.org/lxappearance_change_look_feel
www.kde-look.org

ps Openbox is a fine choice, it's what I use personally. :)

DCmartiX
July 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks, snowpine. Oh yes, I do know that all the looks are different. The plasma KDE is a bit eerie - but in a good way. I was just dreading that Canonical was going to enforce the Unity look on all "recognized" distros.

I just hope that the 12.04 LTS upgrade, which I am assuming will remove Gnome, does not destroy my current set-up. Though I am running the openbox ONLY session, I know it's pulling in Gnome color scheme settings, especially via pcman file manager.

I am going to miss Gnome on Ubuntu. But the other *buntus look like the way out.

I just wish I had the brains and huevos to run sumthin' like Frugalware.

Thanks again. Peace to all.

Marti