PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Joins Linux Foundation.

MasterNetra
July 5th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Apparently Toyota has join the linux fold.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2011/07/toyota-joins-linux-foundation

papibe
July 5th, 2011, 09:32 PM
That's very interesting. It feels good to own a Toyota now.

Regards.

Antarctica32
July 5th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Cool. This is great. but not unexpected

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2011, 09:42 PM
That is a worry given Toyota's recent quality control.

Smilax
July 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM
who won the car of the year,

it was Toyota.

seriously,

Toyota's are great, i found one sittin in a field, asked the farmer could i have it, he said go ahead, it was trashed, had been sittin there for 3 years,

i replaced the battery, turned the key,

and drove off.

fantastic!

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM

it was Toyota.

seriously,

Toyota's are great, i found one sittin in a field, asked the farmer could i have it, he said go ahead, it was trashed, had been sittin there for 3 years,

and drove off.

fantastic!

Careful the brakes will take over :p;)

jerenept
July 5th, 2011, 10:07 PM

it was Toyota.

seriously,

and drove off.

fantastic!

I'm not convinced of your humanity.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 5th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I've always had a great experience with Toyota's. I'm not a fan of the style they've been sporting lately though. Hyundai has the best looks imo (for family priced sedans).

Smilax
July 5th, 2011, 10:14 PM
http://xkcd.com/632/

and yea, the brakes where a little on the dark side:p

beew
July 5th, 2011, 10:16 PM
From link

Carmakers are using new technologies to deliver on consumer expectations for the same connectivity in their cars as they’ve come to expect in their homes and offices. From dashboard computing to In-Vehicle-Infotainment (IVI), automobiles are becoming the latest wireless devices – on wheels. What the ..??? !!! What happens to concentration when driving? This should be banned just like hand held phones (all phones if it is up to me) and alcohol.

KiwiNZ
July 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM
People powering down the motorway at 120KM's doing their Facebook updates. Hmmmm shudders at the thought.

Besides they will be plagued with dlna errors:P

Dry Lips
July 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
From link

What the ..??? !!! What happens to concentration when driving? This should be banned just like hand held phones (all phones if it is up to me) and alcohol.

People powering down the motorway at 120KM's doing their Facebook updates. Hmmmm shudders at the thought.

Besides they will be plagued with dlna errors:P

I'm with you guys on this one. Driving a car is a serious thing.
Check out this link:
http://www.betanews.com/article/GPS-Nav-May-Be-Dangerous-Distraction/1140554400

ubuntu27
July 5th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Little break problem is really nothing compared to Ford's history of "human sacrifice."

Unlike Ford, Toyota Has Never Demonstrated The Belief That It Is OK For Their Customers To Burn.

See here (http://www.engineering.com/Library/ArticlesPage/tabid/85/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/166/Ford-Pinto.aspx)

Quote:
"One of the tools that Ford used to argue for the delay was a "cost-benefit analysis" of altering the fuel tanks. According to Ford's estimates, the unsafe tanks would cause 180 burn deaths, 180 serious burn injuries, and 2,100 burned vehicles each year. It calculated that it would have to pay $200,000 per death, $67,000 per injury, and $700 per vehicle, for a total of $49.5 million. However, the cost of saving lives and injuries ran even higher: alterations would cost $11 per car or truck, which added up to $137 million per year. Essentially, Ford argued before the government that it would be cheaper just to let their customers burn! "

Another one here (http://www.safetyforum.com/fordmustang/).

Quote:
"Ford declines to defend its own sales brochures’ safety claims in open court. Questioned under oath, Jack Ridenour, a Ford corporate representative, conceded that whenever a case arises in which inspections show that Ford has “a problem,” the case is settled out of court."

If you can read Spanish, read this (http://www.cuttingedge.org/Sp/n2408.htm).

Good to read that Toyota has joined the Linux Foundation ^^
I hope they contribute to FOSS and Linux kernel :)

Bandit
July 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2011/07/toyota-joins-linux-foundation

This is really good news for me. I am trying to get on the Toyota Blue Springs plants IT department here in Mississippi...

I really gota study for that Linux+ exam now!!

GWBouge
July 5th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Does anyone just drive anymore and enjoy the ride?

Iowan
July 5th, 2011, 10:58 PM
If it's like their built-in GPS, it won't let you do much while car is moving.

zer010
July 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
First, I don't trust any vehicle made after 1990. Too many electronics means too many bugs.
Second, the testimony of a battery change rings true with me and a '79 Cellica. At $200, it was a steal! Even when it was down, it wasn't out. Most older models were quite resilient.
Third, I now own a '88 F-150 that's been pretty good to me.

Lastly, I'm glad to see a major company join the FSF because of Linux. Remember, cars aren't their only product....
Now if Honda would join with their ASIMO...:D

christoph411
July 5th, 2011, 11:43 PM

Looks like i'm going to BSD then!

cgroza
July 5th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Looks like i'm going to BSD then!

I do not understand your reaction what so ever.

Ric_NYC
July 5th, 2011, 11:52 PM
NEW YORK (Nikkei)--Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) scored well in a 2011 vehicle quality ranking released Thursday by U.S. research firm J.D. Power and Associates, bouncing back from a rough 2010, when its reputation was tarnished by recalls.

Toyota's Lexus luxury brand rose to the top of the list from last year's fourth place, and its Toyota brand climbed to seventh place from 21st.

http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110624D24EE757.htm?ep=5

More:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5378/toyota1.png (http://img714.imageshack.us/i/toyota1.png/)

http://www.jdpower.com/news/pressRelease.aspx?ID=2011089

MasterNetra
July 6th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Ouch Toyota haters just got b-slapped with facts. :P

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 12:02 AM

:)

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 12:04 AM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9169/toyota2.jpg (http://img62.imageshack.us/i/toyota2.jpg/)

KiwiNZ
July 6th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Ranked by recalls........

The most recalls

FORD (5,543)
CHEVROLET (4,412)
GMC (2,892)
DODGE (2,724)
VOLVO (1,537)
BMW (1,401)
TOYOTA (1,376)
HONDA (1,125)
NISSAN (1,033)
PONTIAC (1,009)
JEEP (873)
PLYMOUTH (750)
CHRYSLER (740
VOLKSWAGEN (747)
MERCURY (699)
BUICK (680
MERCEDES BENZ (635)
OLDSMOBILE (590)
MITSUBISHI (490
CADILLAC (480)
MAZDA (416)
BENTLEY (395)
AUDI (393)
SUZUKI (390)
STERLING (336)

The least recalls

MERKUR (1)
YUGO (3)
DAIHATSU (9)
LAMBORGHINI (15)
MINI (31)
MASERATI (34)
LOTUS (35)
MG (35)
GEO (44)
DAEWOO (44)
ASTON MARTIN (53)
FIAT (53)
PEUGEOT (64)
ALFA ROMEO (69)
RENAULT (70
EAGLE (93)
KIA (116)
AM GENERAL (141)
INFINITI (159)
LAND ROVER (160)
FERRARI (169)
AMERICAN MOTORS (174)
LEXUS (196)
ROLLS ROYCE (204)
SAAB (206)

Now I actually like Toyota not for their design, that is boring and for the most low rent. However their engines are excellent and why they make good fleet cars.

handy
July 6th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Good news, I consider Toyota to be a leader in the industry.

I've had a number of Toyota vehicles in my time & consider them to be first class. Reliable, comfortable, economical, very wall put made & assembled.

The Land Cruiser (certainly not the most economical) was the easiest automobile I've ever worked on as well, which I did plenty of when I trashed its body totally & swapped it for another that I bought mostly 2nd hand.

The technology keeps on changing so rapidly, from computers (1986 in Oz) to the ever growing amount of plastic being used in the bodies, which I'm not altogether too keen on for a variety of reasons.

Compared to the vehicles manufactured 30 years ago, they are so much safer now as far as road holding & braking is concerned; tyre technology has also played a major part in that.

uRock
July 6th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Facts from 3rd party biased sites.

handy
July 6th, 2011, 12:23 AM

The most recalls

FORD (5,543)
CHEVROLET (4,412)
GMC (2,892)
DODGE (2,724)
VOLVO (1,537)
BMW (1,401)
TOYOTA (1,376)
HONDA (1,125)
NISSAN (1,033)
PONTIAC (1,009)
JEEP (873)
PLYMOUTH (750)
CHRYSLER (740
VOLKSWAGEN (747)
MERCURY (699)
BUICK (680
MERCEDES BENZ (635)
OLDSMOBILE (590)
MITSUBISHI (490
CADILLAC (480)
MAZDA (416)
BENTLEY (395)
AUDI (393)
SUZUKI (390)
STERLING (336)

The least recalls

MERKUR (1)
YUGO (3)
DAIHATSU (9)
LAMBORGHINI (15)
MINI (31)
MASERATI (34)
LOTUS (35)
MG (35)
GEO (44)
DAEWOO (44)
ASTON MARTIN (53)
FIAT (53)
PEUGEOT (64)
ALFA ROMEO (69)
RENAULT (70
EAGLE (93)
KIA (116)
AM GENERAL (141)
INFINITI (159)
LAND ROVER (160)
FERRARI (169)
AMERICAN MOTORS (174)
LEXUS (196)
ROLLS ROYCE (204)
SAAB (206)

Now I actually like Toyota not for their design, that is boring and for the most low rent. However their engines are excellent and why they make good fleet cars.

An interesting statistic would be the addition of the number of vehicles sold by each of those manufacturers, as it would show the percentage of vehicles recalled.

I just noticed that Subaru aren't on the list?

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 12:25 AM
An interesting statistic would be the addition of the number of vehicles sold by each of those manufacturers, as it would show the percentage of vehicles recalled.

This.

:)

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Facts from 3rd party biased sites.

Do you have other sources for the numbers?

I'd like to see them.

Rasa1111
July 6th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Cool! Toyota and VW are the best.
No I don't care to argue it with you. lol :P

uRock
July 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Do you have other sources for the numbers?

I'd like to see them.
Nope. I think we all saw Toyota on international news denying there was a problem with their cars. That is enough for me.

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Nope. I think we all saw Toyota on international news denying there was a problem with their cars. That is enough for me.

What do you know about J.D. Power and Associates that makes you think their numbers are not reliable?

uRock
July 6th, 2011, 12:49 AM
What do you know about J.D. Power and Associates that makes you think their numbers are not reliable?
Where does their money come from? How can they have accurate info when I have purchased 6 cars in the past ten years and have not completed one survey with them, which tells me they only survey select groups and report what they want to report.

cprofitt
July 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Lets re-focus on the Linux part of the story and forget the my car is better than your car garbage in the thread.

uRock
July 6th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Lets re-focus on the Linux part of the story and forget the my car is better than your car garbage in the thread.
Yup, maybe with Linux they can get some safe designs.

As or having more built in communication systems, I am against it. It is bad enough that I have to dodge people on the roads with their faces stuck to a GPS, because they can't be bothered with memorizing the directions for their trip or at least pulling off of the road to look at the map when they know they are going to be going through major interchanges.

undecim
July 6th, 2011, 02:09 AM

I just noticed that Subaru aren't on the list?

And also, how many of those recalls are voluntary. I would consider voluntary recalls (i.e., the company initiated the recall) to be a plus, because it shows that the company cares about their customers, while non-voluntary recalls to be a negative because it shows they don't make safe vehicles.

handy
July 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Yup, maybe with Linux they can get some safe designs.

As or having more built in communication systems, I am against it. It is bad enough that I have to dodge people on the roads with their faces stuck to a GPS, because they can't be bothered with memorizing the directions for their trip or at least pulling off of the road to look at the map when they know they are going to be going through major interchanges.

It is a shame they couldn't afford the ones that speak the instructions to you. We have one of those & it is so incredibly helpful. It saves us driving with a map beside us or on the steering wheel when in unknown territory (cities) with cars & cross streets all around. It saves tension & makes us so much safer on the road.

We also aren't being dangerous pulling in & out of traffic & are able to concentrate on driving.

Some of us also don't have the most wonderful memories (as we once may have) as we get older & therefore can't memorise as well as we once could.

I think everyone should be issued with a GPS that speaks when they get their drivers license, it would save so many lives, possibly even the odd marriage. :)

uRock
July 6th, 2011, 03:00 AM
It is a shame they couldn't afford the ones that speak the instructions to you. We have one of those & it is so incredibly helpful. It saves us driving with a map beside us or on the steering wheel when in unknown territory (cities) with cars & cross streets all around. It saves tension & makes us so much safer on the road.

We also aren't being dangerous pulling in & out of traffic & are able to concentrate on driving.

Some of us also don't have the most wonderful memories (as we once may have) as we get older & therefore can't memorise as well as we once could.

I think everyone should be issued with a GPS that speaks when they get their drivers license, it would save so many lives, possibly even the odd marriage. :)
I know many people do use them safely, but it is the rare cases which are the ones make me dislike those things. I have had a few near misses with drivers who had they eyes painted on their GPS and swiftly changing lanes without looking.

People also have a tendency to mount the after market GPSs in the center vents of their dash instead of mounting them closer to the natural line of sight.

I have a photographic memory when it comes to maps, but I also write the directions for surface streets. I prefer to look at a map ahead of time to look for landmarks, which will aid in navigation. Thanks to Google Maps, this is a lot easier today.

KiwiNZ
July 6th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I know many people do use them safely, but it is the rare cases which are the ones make me dislike those things. I have had a few near misses with drivers who had they eyes painted on their GPS and swiftly changing lanes without looking.

People also have a tendency to mount the after market GPSs in the center vents of their dash instead of mounting them closer to the natural line of sight.

I have a photographic memory when it comes to maps, but I also write the directions for surface streets. I prefer to look at a map ahead of time to look for landmarks, which will aid in navigation. Thanks to Google Maps, this is a lot easier today.

We have an after market one in the wifes car and the SUV, we can position it better than the in dash one the Audi has.

GWBouge
July 6th, 2011, 03:16 AM

Absolutely. I tend to use Google Maps/Earth to give me some generalized directions, but I ALWAYS look at the map, look at roads around the suggested path, check out satellite and street views to get even more acquainted with intersections and landmarks I might not be familiar with, then figure out which way is easiest for me to follow and write it down.

A GPS in particular can be a great device, but one thing that bothers me about them is the amount of people that blindly follow the directions to get somewhere, without having the slightest clue where they actually are.

That said, I'm all for Toyota's support of Linux, but in my opinion, a car is no place for a computer.

jerenept
July 6th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Absolutely. I tend to use Google Maps/Earth to give me some generalized directions, but I ALWAYS look at the map, look at roads around the suggested path, check out satellite and street views to get even more acquainted with intersections and landmarks I might not be familiar with, then figure out which way is easiest for me to follow and write it down.

A GPS in particular can be a great device, but one thing that bothers me about them is the amount of people that blindly follow the directions to get somewhere, without having the slightest clue where they actually are.

That said, I'm all for Toyota's support of Linux, but in my opinion, a car is no place for a computer.

That is used directly by the driver; otherwise we'd still be using carburettors and getting 20 MPG.

Also, I've used a GPS system, they're really useful for the ones of us who aren't as "geographically inclined" ;)

GWBouge
July 6th, 2011, 03:26 AM
That is used directly by the driver; otherwise we'd still be using carburettors and getting 20 MPG.

I don't particularly like computer controlled engines, either.

christoph411
July 6th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I do not understand your reaction what so ever.
I meant since Toyota is now supporting Linux, I was jokingly saying that I was going to abandon Linux and go use BSD instead. Like "I'm going back to windows!" but I obviously wasn't serious. :)
I didn't really think it was that vague of a statement considering the quote that was attached, but hopefully it's all cleared up for you now...

handy
July 6th, 2011, 04:16 AM

Why would that bother you?

In a strange city, I don't care if the thing takes me a 15 minutes longer route (which would certainly be most unusual anyway) as I can be relaxed about the navigation & know that I will get there & in a safer fashion (because I can focus on driving), than I would without that navigational aid, & because it speaks I don't even have to see it!

GWBouge
July 6th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Why would that bother you?

Eh, it's part of a long rant I have about people/technology in general, that really has no place being discussed in this thread.

PRC09
July 6th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Saw this a couple of weeks ago.........

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Introducing-Ubuntu-IVI-Remix-and-Ubuntu-Core-206042.shtml

handy
July 6th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Eh, it's part of a long rant I have about people/technology in general, that really has no place being discussed in this thread.

Still, they can be as lost as can be in a new city (which is normal) & be, being given directions by the GPS that takes them directly to their destination.

Who cares if they are lost due to ignorance in a new environment, if they are clever enough to have bought excellent help with them I take my hat off to them.

You already know that personally I wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as you having problems with people & technology in general is concerned, all I can say is that your taste in forums is therefore somewhat questionable?

I'm not meaning that in a derogatory sense, it just seems a bit strange, that's all. Though there certainly is plenty of that going around, & not just in this forum. #-o

KiwiNZ
July 6th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I have used GPS units in both recreational and professional circumstances and they have saved my butt, literally.

Ric_NYC
July 6th, 2011, 05:09 AM
i have used gps units in both recreational and professional circumstances and they have saved my butt, literally.

lol

MasterNetra
July 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
lol I reported this to CNET in case they were interested...I dunno if it will make it as a article but one of the writers tweeted about it.

http://twitter.com/#!/stshank (might to scroll a bit as its about 17 hours ago from this posting.)

Spice Weasel
July 6th, 2011, 03:05 PM
literally.

Really? :shock:

johnnybelfast
July 6th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Any futher investment in Linux is a good thing. We need all the money and backing that we can get.

I suspect whole Toyota story was exagerated because American car manufacturers were struggling to compete. Foreign competitors were selling better quality cars for less and the US motor industry didn't like that. It's what is commonly known as a 'smear campaign'

Antarctica32
July 7th, 2011, 05:37 PM
First, I don't trust any vehicle made after 1990. Too many electronics means too many bugs.
Second, the testimony of a battery change rings true with me and a '79 Cellica. At $200, it was a steal! Even when it was down, it wasn't out. Most older models were quite resilient.
Third, I now own a '88 F-150 that's been pretty good to me.

Lastly, I'm glad to see a major company join the FSF because of Linux. Remember, cars aren't their only product....
Now if Honda would join with their ASIMO...:D

was thinkin the same thing

Paqman
July 7th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I don't particularly like computer controlled engines, either.

Why not? They're just plain better.

Although I must admit, I do miss the days when I could pop the bonnet and recognise everything in there. Last car I owned that I would have been happy replacing pretty much anything myself was an old '89 Mazda 323. But better fuel economy and more power is a good trade for a bit of self-reliance though.

TBH the most I ever really did on old carburettor cars was oil, plugs and the occasional things like fan belts or switches. Anything serious is worth getting a pro in anyway.

dniMretsaM
July 7th, 2011, 09:04 PM
My parents have a 97 Camry with 302,xxx miles on it. Anyway, this is cool!

GWBouge
July 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Why not?

Too many electronics means too many bugs.

^ This, for one. And a non-computerized drivetrain is (in my experience, at least) easier and cheaper to diagnose, repair, and maintain.

Anything serious is worth getting a pro in anyway.

I'm typically one of the ones that gets called to do the job right after the 'pro' does a not-so-professional job and it breaks again in a month or two, or when the person just doesn't have the money to drop at a dealership or repair shop.

They're just plain better.

If all you do is buy it and drive it, maybe =o)

Paqman
July 8th, 2011, 01:17 AM
If all you do is buy it and drive it, maybe =o)

No, I mean objectively and technologically. You've got to admit, stuff like EFI has lead to huge improvements in engines. You'd never be able to meet modern emissions standards with a carburettor. A modern engine can do more with less, and does it cleaner.

Personally I think the electronics used in road vehicles is incredibly stable, to the point of being unnecessarily conservative. CAN buses are a good example. That's very basic, prehistoric technology but still gets used because they're so reliable.

GWBouge
July 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I can't argue that the electronics and technology have led to improvements in certain areas, but it all depends on what you want out of a car, I guess. I don't even want traction or stability control. And I know plenty people that haven't had much trouble passing emissions with a carburetor, but I guess that depends on where you live.

handy
July 8th, 2011, 03:16 AM
No more points to adjust & ignition to time!

Cars tune themselves now. You change the spark-plugs now when it is time for a tune at say 150k, or whatever.

Fuel economy & power/torque is better, the engines last so much longer & are so much more reliable & low maintenance that it is ridiculous.

I really like these changes that have happened since 1986 in Oz, as I haven't enjoyed working on cars for decades now. :)

KiwiNZ
July 8th, 2011, 03:31 AM

Cars tune themselves now. You change the spark-plugs now when it is time for a tune at say 150k, or whatever.

Fuel economy & power/torque is better, the engines last so much longer & are so much more reliable & low maintenance that it is ridiculous.

I really like these changes that have happened since 1986 in Oz, as I haven't enjoyed working on cars for decades now. :)

After my father sold his Auto repair shops he never worked on another car. I gave up doing it years ago and thankfully my sons have new cars so I don't have to fix young peoples clankers like my father did.

uRock
July 8th, 2011, 03:36 AM

I beg to differ. I prefer to be able to pop the hood to advance/retard the timing to get the maximum horsepower, instead of having to by after market chips or having someone else hook up with a computer to do these tasks. OEMs set the timing and such to predetermined specifications to maximize fuel mileage and minimize pollution.

KiwiNZ
July 8th, 2011, 03:41 AM
I beg to differ. I prefer to be able to pop the hood to advance/retard the timing to get the maximum horsepower, instead of having to by after market chips or having someone else hook up with a computer to do these tasks. OEMs set the timing and such to predetermined specifications to maximize fuel mileage and minimize pollution.

That brings back memories of timing lights chalk marks, 5 degrees BTDC , cut knuckles, shocks off the coil.

uRock
July 8th, 2011, 03:49 AM
That brings back memories of timing lights chalk marks, 5 degrees BTDC , cut knuckles, shocks off the coil.No doubt, mechanical timing was a pain. I prefer to pay someone else to do that on newer cars. To much junk in the way and not enough space under the hood.

handy
July 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM

The engine management systems are so clever that they change both the fuel mixture & the ignition timing to suit the engine's temperature (most commonly when the engine is started cold); the speed of the revolutions of the crankshaft; in combination with the load; & very importantly the wear of the engine; & over a tank or two the quality of the fuel it is using.

If I was a hot rodder these days, I'd be using a computer to make adjustments to modify the performance of the engine.

High performance cars & race cars (with few exceptions) have not been using Weber carburettors (& the like) for years because they can get higher performance using fuel injection & associated enhancements like turbo chargers. There is so much more control available via a computerised engine management system.

These guys have different setups that they load into their computers to suit different tracks. Then they tweak it to suit the weather conditions!

Points & carbies (& I'm an old Weber man myself) have become prehistoric technology, which suits the vast majority of users for so many reasons.

MasterNetra
July 10th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I still think we could do better, but if cars become too efficient more people will probably find themselves out of a job. :/

psusi
July 10th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Total number of recalls is also quite misleading. The nature of the recalls is what is important. A recall to replace the gas tank because it has a high tendency to explode is much more of a concern than one to replace the carpets because some genius at NHITSA thought that there just might somehow be some way for the carpet to have gotten tangled in the gas pedal of that one out of millions of people. And that is one of the two recalls I have had on my '08 Prius, with the other being equally unnecessary.

As for computers, I would be very happy to see them running open source software. Last year my wife and I went on a road trip up north, and before we left I was lucky enough to find the magic sequence to put the computer into service mode where I could easily see that the 12v battery was failing and replaced it before we went. I'm sure it would have given up the ghost finally when we were in colder weather, in the middle of nowhere. Now if only it wouldn't lock us out of browsing my mp3 cds and some of the gps functions while the wheels are moving. If it were running open source software, hacking that would be much easier.

MasterNetra
July 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Total number of recalls is also quite misleading. The nature of the recalls is what is important. A recall to replace the gas tank because it has a high tendency to explode is much more of a concern than one to replace the carpets because some genius at NHITSA thought that there just might somehow be some way for the carpet to have gotten tangled in the gas pedal of that one out of millions of people. And that is one of the two recalls I have had on my '08 Prius, with the other being equally unnecessary.

As for computers, I would be very happy to see them running open source software. Last year my wife and I went on a road trip up north, and before we left I was lucky enough to find the magic sequence to put the computer into service mode where I could easily see that the 12v battery was failing and replaced it before we went. I'm sure it would have given up the ghost finally when we were in colder weather, in the middle of nowhere. Now if only it wouldn't lock us out of browsing my mp3 cds and some of the gps functions while the wheels are moving. If it were running open source software, hacking that would be much easier.

Lockouts are ment to keep people's eyes glued to the road and not the gadgets. Too many people using gadgets when they should be driving...makes me wish vehicles were only self-driving so that the roads are safer.

psusi
July 10th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Lockouts are ment to keep people's eyes glued to the road and not the gadgets. Too many people using gadgets when they should be driving...makes me wish vehicles were only self-driving so that the roads are safer.

Sometimes the road requires your full attention, and sometimes it does not. Those who can not tell the difference, and manage to converse with other passengers in the car, or on a phone, or glance at the tape deck at a moment when the road is not so demanding ( or leave it to the passenger ) should not be driving in the first place. I can do these things, and so would appreciate others not thinking they know better than me ( and my passenger ).

73ckn797
July 10th, 2011, 04:01 AM
That was more media hype than a reality. Not much different than with the Audi sudden acceleration back in the 80's or the Chevrolet pick-up fire danger that turned out to be a media fraud.

73ckn797
July 10th, 2011, 04:04 AM
That brings back memories of timing lights chalk marks, 5 degrees BTDC , cut knuckles, shocks off the coil.
Those were simplier times but get behind one of those vehicles today and you choke on the odor.

Swagman
July 10th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I never understood that "carpet jammed the throttle full open" which, iinm, lead to a fatality.

The brakes ALWAYS outperform engine grunt by (off the top of my head) at least 2:1 in EVERY vehicle I have ever driven (34 years worth).

That also includes the vehicles I drive for a living (Semis).

I Have experienced the jammed throttle scenario. It does give a micro-seconds heart murmur and definitely not recommended on Speedway bikes (no brakes on those)

Dr. C
July 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM
It is not just Toyota but virtually every major vehicle manufacturer, with the notable exception of Ford who uses a Microsoft Windows based system, is using a GNU / Linux based system for In Vehicle Infotainment (IVI). IVI is huge. Check out GENIVI (http://www.genivi.org/) and the GENIVI Members (http://www.genivi.org/ABOUT/GENIVIMembers/tabid/430/Default.aspx) and one finds most of the top vehicle manufacturers worldwide. The GNU / Linux distribution that they use for IVI is MeeGo (https://meego.com/).

As for the the quality control issue it is Microsoft that needs to be concerned due to their relationship with Ford.

The most recalls

FORD (5,543)
CHEVROLET (4,412)
GMC (2,892)
DODGE (2,724)
VOLVO (1,537)
BMW (1,401)
TOYOTA (1,376)
HONDA (1,125)
NISSAN (1,033)
PONTIAC (1,009)
JEEP (873)
PLYMOUTH (750)
CHRYSLER (740
VOLKSWAGEN (747)
MERCURY (699)
BUICK (680
MERCEDES BENZ (635)
OLDSMOBILE (590)
MITSUBISHI (490
CADILLAC (480)
MAZDA (416)
BENTLEY (395)
AUDI (393)
SUZUKI (390)
STERLING (336)

The least recalls

MERKUR (1)
YUGO (3)
DAIHATSU (9)
LAMBORGHINI (15)
MINI (31)
MASERATI (34)
LOTUS (35)
MG (35)
GEO (44)
DAEWOO (44)
ASTON MARTIN (53)
FIAT (53)
PEUGEOT (64)
ALFA ROMEO (69)
RENAULT (70
EAGLE (93)
KIA (116)
AM GENERAL (141)
INFINITI (159)
LAND ROVER (160)
FERRARI (169)
AMERICAN MOTORS (174)
LEXUS (196)
ROLLS ROYCE (204)
SAAB (206)

Starks
July 15th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Yugo still exists?

Wow.