PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB : 2nd list on menu works, first doesn't. Now What?

rreyes3713
July 5th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I was messing with my setting of my video card (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 video card) so I can use dual monitors.

Anyway, I messed up the setting and now I don't get a display on the monitor after I select the first list on the GRUB menu. But the second list on the menu does works.

I suppose I could troubleshoot my settings or just select the second list on the menu.

Here's my question, what happens when the Administrator Manager comes up asking if I want to "Update"?

Does it update the first menu on the GRUB list and keep the same settings which I won't get a display?
Should I erase the first list on the GRUB menu and maybe the update will be o-kay?
Any suggestions would help me out in the dilemma I'm in.

Sorry if I getting the jargon wrong. I'm new at Ubuntu Linux vocabulary.

oldfred
July 5th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Print this as this has the settings that grub will do on an update. Only a grub or kernel update will write a new entry.

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub

If you want to see full boot info:

Boot Info Script courtesy of forum members meierfra & Gert Hulselmans
Page with instructions and download:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Paste contents of results.txt in a New Reply, then highlight entire file and click on # in edit panel(code tags) to make it easier to read.
Or You can generate the tags first by pressing the # icon in the New Reply Edit toolbar and then paste the contents between the generated [ code] paste here [ /code] tags.
V60 has improved formating and requires code tags to make it legible. New Version is a zip file that you have to extract to get .sh to run.