PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 installs but ...

deeppow
July 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Sorry, I've looked at the sticky above but too much info and nothing that seems to address my issues.

I've installed 11.04 on my laptop (dual boot with Win7). It goes through the grub boot menu and boots in ubuntu but displays ~inch wide band near the top, nothing else. I assume it is a display issue (it has an ATI mobile Radeon HD 3870 X2 card) but can't seem to resolve problem. Note: I can boot into Windows via the menu.

In the grub menu I can boot into the command line (grub>) but can't seem to make progress beyond that. Within this grub interface, it won't take terminal commands.

Sorry, I'm a real newbie here with this newer version and my past knowledge of linux and ubuntu which are foggy seem of no use.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

dino99
July 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
from the command line:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then reboot to see if it makes difference (should be a graphic driver issue, check its activation into menu: system admin additional drivers)

deeppow
July 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Problem is that from the grub command line, it doesn't know what the sudo command means, i.e. it says "error: unknown command 'sudo'". Everything you suggest should work if I were in a terminal. How do I change to that?