PDA

View Full Version : C++: different CPU compiling

erotavlas
July 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Hi all,
I have a question about compiling process. I have my system where I'm developing C++ code under Ubuntu x64, the my CPU has not much computing power. So I would like to run my program in a server where the CPU is different from the my. Can I compile the code in my system and execute it onto the server system without loss of performances? i.e. How can I tell to GCC compiler to use all the features of the CPU server?

Thank you

Zugzwang
July 5th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Step 1: Find out which CPU your server has and whether it also runs an x64-version of Linux.

Step 2: Compile your executable accordingly. Use the "-static" flag for the linker to avoid having to copy all kinds of libraries to the server. Use the mtune (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html) flag for the compiler to let gcc/g++ optimize towards the specific architecture. If your server runs a 32-bit version of Linux, add the "-m32" flag when compiling and linking to produce 32-bit code. Install the "g++-multilib" package in this case.

erotavlas
July 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Step 1: Find out which CPU your server has and whether it also runs an x64-version of Linux.

Step 2: Compile your executable accordingly. Use the "-static" flag for the linker to avoid having to copy all kinds of libraries to the server. Use the mtune (http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html) flag for the compiler to let gcc/g++ optimize towards the specific architecture. If your server runs a 32-bit version of Linux, add the "-m32" flag when compiling and linking to produce 32-bit code. Install the "g++-multilib" package in this case.

My server has the following CPU and runs Ubuntu 11.04 x64 server edition.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 16
model : 9
model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 6168
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 1900.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 12
core id : 0
cpu cores : 12
apicid : 16
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid amd_dcm pni monitor cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save pausefilter
bogomips : 3800.25
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

I'm using Netbeans 7 as IDE. It uses a makefile to compile the project, so can I use it? If yes, where can I set the parameters?

Thank you