PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Play .DAT files in Ubuntu 11.04

reddylast
July 5th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hi,

Is there any way play .DAT files (VCD files) in Ubuntu. Whenever I try to play .DAT files I get some errors and even ubuntu does't allow me to copy .DAT files to any Ubuntu folder from CDs.

Regrads,
Reddy

nomko
July 5th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Which program did you use? Normally Vlc can play anything without problems. Did you try Vlc?

reddylast
July 5th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, I tried to play it on VLC, Mplayer and Xine, but none of them are supporting these files. More weird things are happening when I'm trying to copy them. is this mean Ubuntu can't read/copy .DAT files ?

nomko
July 5th, 2011, 07:39 AM
In your first post you mention it is a vcd file. Normally i think you should have a mpg file as well. A .dat file is normally a data file. Try to locate a mpg file or something like that.

agkrish
October 28th, 2011, 03:59 AM
there are some VCDs which come only with .dat files + 1 .exe file. These run on Windows & VCD players. However am neither able to play or RIP them using Transcoder, v0.0.5 or Transmageddon v0.16 or RipOff 0.8.3 or dvdRIP 0.98.11. VLC could not read the file.

kareempharmacist
November 10th, 2011, 06:56 AM
install k3b
choose tools then choose Rip Video CD and Enjoy
other option install vcdxrip with the following command

sudo apt-get install vcdxrip
then go to your home directory ....your home directory not anywhere else then type

vcdxrip --nofiles -v -p
again enjoy

kareempharmacist
November 10th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I forgot to mention ..you will find the files in your home directory

xsyne
January 6th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Thank you for the information about vcdxrip :) Works perfectly!