PDA

View Full Version : The changes (for the worse?) in 11.04

3Nex
July 5th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Hi, I was wondering if there is any official place where the number of users (or at least downloads) of Ubuntu are shown, or maybe some global ratings/statistics or something, because I was wondering if other users found 11.04 as horrible as I did and if they would rather use an older version of Ubuntu than 11.04.

Personally, I switched to Windows 20 minutes after being confused like hell. I've been an Ubuntu user since I first got a computer, but as time goes on, Windows OS's seem to get more user-friendly and then Ubuntu does this to me, so I was just like whatever man...

For those who care:
I hated that i couldn't get to the "normal" top panel (with Places and System) from any program, but instead it turned into the menu bar for the program in focus. That weird bar on the left was extremely unresponsive, closing even tho my mouse is still over it (i couldn't figure out if that was a bug or on purpose). Compiz manager got some weird new dependencies when turning stuff on, somehow getting in a weird loop and ended up stripping all the window borders and title bars and disabling the drag'n'drop behavior of windows o.O. The Synaptic package manager, now called Software center or something? is yuck. When switching to desktop 2, I now need to click 3 times instead of once (and I do those a lot). All the custom keyboard shortcuts with the Win key don't work anymore because now the Win key opens that weird bar on the left side.

I'm sure there were more reasons, but I forgot already.

Alwimo
July 5th, 2011, 02:56 AM
Synaptic hasn't been renamed. It's still there, and different from the Ubuntu Software Centre (which has been in previous releases too).

You can also still switch between workspaces with the keyboard: Alt + Ctrl + the arrow key/s representing the direction you want. That's a much better way of doing it than the new, inferior, multi-click switching.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I didn't like the Unity interface either. You can still use the classic interface in 11.04 just choose gnome-classic before you login. Instead of using Gnome classic, I switched to a Desktop Environment called XFCE, which is pretty similar to Gnome.

I don't think the Ubuntu developers are trying to make things difficult for you. The developers of Gnome are dropping support for Gnome 2 (what you're used to) in favor of the radically different Gnome 3 which uses something called Gnome Shell. Unity is just Ubuntu's alternative to Gnome Shell.

cariboo
July 5th, 2011, 03:16 AM
As with all Linux distributions, you aren't stuck with a particular DE if you don't like it. Just open up the Software Center or Synaptic and select the desktop environment that best suits you.

BTW the Software Center has been around for at least the last 3 releases, so if this is the first time you've seen it, what version where you using before upgrading to 11.04?

3Nex
July 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM
BTW the Software Center has been around for at least the last 3 releases, so if this is the first time you've seen it, what version where you using before upgrading to 11.04?
I've been using every Ubuntu since Ubuntu 6. But I'm not a fan of having to deal with operating systems, I just install stuff (through the Synaptic package manager) and my work is done until something goes horribly wrong. That's kinda the reason I first went with Ubuntu over Windows. It just made more sense, the whole installation process and the Desktop arrangment and everything.

Thanks for the replies, especially to Ctrl-Alt-F1, I'm gonna try that gnome-classic option, I didn't know that existed.

I've also been using XFCE on my laptop (Xubuntu), cause it's old and weak. But for my desktop computer I like all the Compiz fancy stuff :)