PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy something you dont need if someone payed half for you?

TheSuperSteve
July 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
If someone offered to pay half for something you really wanted, would you accept? Now here's the trick. You dont need this something. Its just an item that you really would like but not neccesarly need. And it costs a lot of money.

That's the situation i'm in right now and i'm debating whether to accept. I really want this thing but i dont really need it. So i would be spending a lot of money for a luxury i don't exactly need. But offers like this dont come around everyday and i've wanted thing thing for a while now. Which is why i'm confused. What would you do?

If it helps this is supposed to be a birthday present. In which i'm expected to pay for half of the item. I'm just a college student. XD

Bachstelze
July 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Go for it. You only live once.

3Miro
July 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Long philosophy short: if you have enough money and buying this will make you happy, the go ahead and buy it.

I have enough money to live well, but I often shop in the Dollar Store and I never pay more than 20 dollars for shoes. I can pay more, but I don't care about shoes, for me it would be a total waste of money.

However, I have a computer that is way better than what I need. I don't need it, but it makes me happy. So I waste my money there.

If buying the thing would harm you or your family in terms of food or rent, then don't buy it. If you have the money and you will actually enjoy the thing, then go ahead and get it.

Aquix
July 4th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I don't really need an Aston Martin db9, but if your going half on it...
Send me a pm.

I will be the better man and let you go twice. :P

http://www.pctrs.com/Aston-Martin-Db9-Wallpaper-800-1.html

Bachstelze
July 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I don't really need an Aston Martin db9, but if your going half on it...
Send me a pm.

The other half will still be a lot to pay. ;)

Aquix
July 4th, 2011, 07:08 PM
It would be expensive, but my bank has many monies :P

Bandit
July 4th, 2011, 07:36 PM
If someone offered to pay half for something you really wanted, would you accept? Now here's the trick. You dont need this something. Its just an item that you really would like but not neccesarly need. And it costs a lot of money.

That's the situation i'm in right now and i'm debating whether to accept. I really want this thing but i dont really need it. So i would be spending a lot of money for a luxury i don't exactly need. But offers like this dont come around everyday and i've wanted thing thing for a while now. Which is why i'm confused. What would you do?

If it helps this is supposed to be a birthday present. In which i'm expected to pay for half of the item. I'm just a college student. XD

IF you have the money and it makes you happy, then why not. Yes..

ELSE IF it puts you in a financial burden for which the money would be better suited for other means, then NO..

Something tells me that if your asking us this question, something inside you is telling you to wait.

Remember good things come to those who wait.

Superkoop
July 4th, 2011, 07:39 PM
As a fellow college student, I would primarily have to take into account how much the said item is going to run you even at half price.
Because you need to take into account student loans, how much money you are making now, when you graduate (to determine when you start paying student loans and when you start [hopefully] making more money), what your expected expenditures(books, gas, etc.) are going to be this next school year and how much extra cash you will have to spend. Also, if you have an income now, how much you will be able to make quickly.

Personally, I would purchase the item if it cost 1/3 of the extra money I had after all expenses. But then again, I've been poor my whole life, and after 8 years of expensive schooling I still plan on being poor, so I'm rather thrifty and quite minimalistic.

AlphaLexman
July 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Long philosophy short: if you have enough money and buying this will make you happy, the go ahead and buy it.

I have enough money to live well, but I often shop in the Dollar Store and I never pay more than 20 dollars for shoes. I can pay more, but I don't care about shoes, for me it would be a total waste of money.

However, I have a computer that is way better than what I need. I don't need it, but it makes me happy. So I waste my money there.

If buying the thing would harm you or your family in terms of food or rent, then don't buy it. If you have the money and you will actually enjoy the thing, then go ahead and get it.
I like 3Miro's philosophy, but it might be unrelated to the want / need balance.

If you NEED shoes or a computer, and you WANT the nicer, better version, the upgrade justification is more financially viable.

Whereas if you have a dog ( a WANT not a NEED) that makes you happy and you WANT a large hadron collider, even at half price, how much happier will you be?

TheSuperSteve
July 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thank for the replies so far guys. Lots of thinking food in here. Yes, i can completely afford said item with no burden to my family and/or loved ones. I'm just stingy and prefer not to spend when i dont need to. However i've wanted this thing for quite a while. I've almost driven my girlfriend insane with how much i used talk about it.

But when i really sit down and think about it. I feel guilty for treating myself to such a thing when i could save the money for emergencies or buy my girlfriend a present or something.

Remember good things come to those who wait.
No offence intended, Bandit. But in my experience, yes, Good things come to those who wait but better things come to those who act now.

linuchsan
July 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It's a woman...must be :D

TheSuperSteve
July 4th, 2011, 09:31 PM
It's a woman...must be :D

E-excuse me? XD

Well! I've decided to go for it! Thank you all for the insight! I'll mark it as solved just because its a habit of mine! Thanks again!