PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Europeans

mostwanted
May 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
The Eurovision finale is on tonight. Just a warning :p

I'm rooting for the Finnish monster band to win, even though dressing up as monsters is a pretty sad publicity stunt. Anyway, I don't think most people watch it for the music, but rather the fun of seeing the same old cliché performances every year being done just as badly as they were the year before... I know I do.

helpme
May 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Watch out for the Cowboys from Hamburg! :-D

Fass
May 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
I should be rooting for Sweden, but I hate Carola so, so much...

Bosnia's entry is pretty neat, and so is Romania's. Long time since we heard Italian in the competition. It's between those two for me.

mostwanted
May 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Are they the ones with the "We're gonna win the Eurovision song contest" chant? (heard there were someone doing something like that)

Fass
May 20th, 2006, 06:47 PM
That's Lithuania, I believe. Or Latvia. I get those two confused.

Kimm
May 20th, 2006, 07:50 PM
I should be rooting for Sweden, but I hate Carola so, so much...

So should I... but I agree with you.

bonzodog
May 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
up Ireland!!!
I think Ireland actually has a chance tonight, but I like the swedish entry, and finland is.....original. I love Heavy Metal, but I think it's out of place in the cheesy eurovision.

mostwanted
May 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Eurovision sure has become more sex-oriented than I remember it. The latest act has a female singer wearing something the size of a bikini.

Hanj
May 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I should be rooting for Sweden, but I hate Carola so, so much...Couldn't agree more. Personally I'm really uninterested in the whole Eurovision thing, but I can't help hoping that Carola ends up last.

vertigo
May 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Another year avoiding the Eurovision Song Contest like the plague. I cant stand it anymore, and Englands entry is terrible.

Fass
May 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
up Ireland!!!
I think Ireland actually has a chance tonight

Oh, I really do hope not. It's another, boring ballad, the same Ireland always sends.

ComplexNumber
May 20th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Oh, I really do hope not. It's another, boring ballad, the same Ireland always sends. its always good to see that Father Ted episode where Father Ted and Dougal were chosen to sing for the eurovision song contest in a desperate attempt by Ireland not to win the eurovision (yet again) :mrgreen:. highly recommended watching!

Fass
May 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM
its always good to see that Father Ted episode where Father Ted and Dougal were chosen to sing for the eurovision song contest in a desperate attempt by Ireland not to win the eurovision (yet again) :mrgreen:. highly recommended watching!

Well, they haven't in a while now. With the songs they keep singing, I hope they continue getting their wish fulfilled! :)

mostwanted
May 20th, 2006, 09:10 PM
GO LITHUANIA! :D

These guys have to win. I love when the artists take the **** out of Eurovision.

kaamos
May 20th, 2006, 10:03 PM
[...]

Zimmer
May 20th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Finland Warning well justified!
They are currently winning , about 12 points ahead !!..(Wish I'd had money on them)....

EDIT@ They WON!!!

kaamos
May 20th, 2006, 11:08 PM
:shock:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~simona/temperaturi.html :-D

mcduck
May 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
:shock:

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~simona/temperaturi.html :-D
That's a classic :D

I'm sure the Hell is freezing over ATM. It must be :D

Biltong (Dee)
May 20th, 2006, 11:33 PM
I love watching Eurovision - Sadly the BBC didn't put it on the African service, but RTP and ERT both were carrying it live via Satellite. Finland deserved to win, and UGH France really were c-* er, bad.

Lovechild
May 20th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Congratulations to Lordi for the well executed **** you to the banality that is the Eurovision song contest.

Kronoz
May 21st, 2006, 12:53 AM
Does anyone really take it seriously? lol
In the UK people just watch it to hear the commentary of Terry Wogan and to joke about awful it is.

Fass
May 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM
I keep seeing the Brits say they don't take it seriously, but then when they got the nul points a couple of years ago, they were bitching like there was no end.

Kimm
May 21st, 2006, 12:57 AM
I was ehm... suprised? when Finland won... I never could have imagined it (mostly since I REALY dont like Hevy Metal and it just doesnt fit it...)

I was rooting for Norway the whole time...

G Morgan
May 21st, 2006, 01:04 AM
Once again the Eurovision political favourites, um I mean 'song' contest has come to an end. The best thing about it in recent years has been Terry Wogans (on the BBC coverage) comments 'Greece giving maximum points to Cyprus. The shock of it all' or 'It's that time of year again when we find out who everybody likes in Europe'.

To be fair the year we had a big fat 0 was well deserved because we had the audacity to put out an act that based its sound on a cat being repeatedly run over by a 4x4 in the same year we decided to break all international law and join the invasion of Iraq and make the world a much less safe place.

To be honest though the last time I thought the best act won Eurovision was.....

Saying this rarely has a British act given me the cause to believe we might win and I didn't even know who we had entered this year.

Lopsicle
May 21st, 2006, 08:53 AM
I keep seeing the Brits say they don't take it seriously, but then when they got the nul points a couple of years ago, they were bitching like there was no end.

yeah right! Most of us BRITS were pleased we got nul points, everyone thought we would not be allowed to take part the next year. But it is good for a laugh simply to see all those mainland europeans in there 70s disco gear LOL \\:D/

Big Brother...Pop Idol.....Eurovision... scrap the lot :)

Loffe_
May 21st, 2006, 09:40 AM
Congratulations Lordi!!!

You ugly :evil: monsters :evil: from Finland know how to rock Europe!!

mostwanted
May 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
It's cool how one of the protest songs won. Lithuania also got in the top 10. Just goes to show how many viewers we are out there who utterly despise the traditional cheesy pop songs they usually dish up :)

Lord Illidan
May 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM
I almost feel ashamed.. My country only gets 1 pt!!!!!!
Oh, well..

Who cares?

Fass
May 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
I almost feel ashamed.. My country only gets 1 pt!!!!!!
Oh, well..

The song deserved better, but he really did a poor show.

Lord Illidan
May 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
The song deserved better, but he really did a poor show.

I know.. Still, it is funny to go from being second with Chiara, and then last with Faniello in the space of one year.

Still, this was one of the worst songs I have ever heard, not to mention that I never liked the singer anyway...

G Morgan
May 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM
One fewer and you could have claimed the nil point badge of honour. The goal in Eurovision is to put out as much excruciatingly bad music as possible year after year then vote with national stereotypes. For example France and Britain are always mutual 0's.

The sad thing is there are a few that take this seriously and complain when France nil point us when we do exactly the same to them generally. All a bit of fun really, maintain the archaic national rivalries but do it in the correct place Eurovision. It would be better if there was at least some decent music in there though. Prehaps 2/3 nations can fight out for victory while the rest of us remind each other how much we hate each other ;) .

Sushi
May 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
The Eurovision finale is on tonight. Just a warning :p

I'm rooting for the Finnish monster band to win, even though dressing up as monsters is a pretty sad publicity stunt.

Which is sadder publicity-stunt: Dressing up as monsters, or having semi-naked women shaking their *** on the stage?

Anyway, I don't think most people watch it for the music, but rather the fun of seeing the same old cliché performances every year being done just as badly as they were the year before... I know I do.

I guess that's why Lordi won by a landslide. The other performances were just dime a dozen songs with nothing different between them. Lordi was only one which actually stood out.

Klaidas
May 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
GO LITHUANIA! :D

These guys have to win. I love when the artists take the **** out of Eurovision.

Woot! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0aVYnzFN4&search=Eurovision%20lithuania

Anyway, we're 6th. That's the highest place we won in eurovision so far
Congtz lordi !

P.S. How did you like our dancer? :D

Biltong (Dee)
May 21st, 2006, 05:14 PM
I guess that's why Lordi won by a landslide. The other performances were just dime a dozen songs with nothing different between them. Lordi was only one which actually stood out.
As a South African I just enjoyed the show.
However I did notice that good communication seemed to be an issue. For example, France just stood there and sang in French.
Not everyone understands French therefore the songs impact was lost.
Finland on the other hand not only sang in English but were visually impressive too.
This combination allowed them to win.
Good for them. :)

Kimm
May 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
France just stood there and sang in French.
Not everyone understands French therefore the songs impact was lost.

Agreed. but (note: not ment to offent) the french tend to be quite nationalistic when it comes to their language. Personaly I think every European country should have mandatory English education and then go english only.

But they where not the only country that sang in their mother tounge, Norway did the same thing (even though I personaly dont mind, since I can understand norwegian), I think this was the main reason Norway didnt score higher

Biltong (Dee)
May 21st, 2006, 05:36 PM
It's the double-whammey I think, of English and costume that did it.
People are like magpies. If it looks interesting it's worth going for.

mostwanted
May 21st, 2006, 05:44 PM
What does it matter if they sing their mother tongue or not? It's useless "oh girl I love you so", "oh I want you tonight" stuff they sing anyway. Finland would have won even if they sang in Finnish I'm sure of it. And I personally hate hearing everyone sing in broken English, I would rather they sang in their native tongue; it adds to the character of the song in my opinion (lol I'm discussing the character of ESC songs :p).

Fass
May 21st, 2006, 06:10 PM
Bosnia sang in Serbocroatian and they did very well, and had the best song of the night, so, English-only is poppycock.

Lord Illidan
May 21st, 2006, 06:17 PM
It depends on the number of people who know the language. How many people know Maltese aside from us Maltese.

It is a crap contest anyway, everyone voting for their neighbours. Politics + eurovision = crap to me.

Lordi's song was revolutionary. Great.

G Morgan
May 21st, 2006, 06:21 PM
I think that Europe would only go for a single language if it was something other than English or French. There is no way the English would accept French and no way the French would accept English. It's a shame really, I don't care either way language is about communication first and foremost.

xmastree
May 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM
Did spain vote for England? They never used to...

Oh, and here's a different video of hard Rock Hallelujah:
http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=17552

I didn't see the competition, but BBC world had a news item about it.