PDA

View Full Version : Breaking My Old CPU...

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 06:18 AM
...it may have done more good than harm to be honest. I learned that metal can take in heat faster than water, and diffuse it faster than water (hence why CPUs get hot quicker than water.)

I also learned about this little fellow: Ⓜ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit_layout_design_protection) (Mask work symbol) Which is to the left of the ⓒ (copyright symbol)​ below the AMD Logo at the bottom when looking at the metal plate on top of the CPU.

I also learned that the PCI Slots may not run if the CPU is not installed.

And I learned that even without the CPU, a lot of motherboard buses are still powered on (including the CPU Socket, which gets 0 volts, if no CPU is inserted.)

I also learned that SATA Devices, like the harddrive and CD-ROM can still transfer data to and from the motherboard even without a CPU.

What do you think? More good than harm?

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM
Er- why'd you break your CPU? I would have loved to own a hex core phenom. You could have sold it for at least 100$ on ebay.

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Er- why'd you break your CPU? I would have loved to own a hex core phenom. You could have sold it for at least 100$ on ebay.

Not really "broke" intentionally. I left the machine running a few hours, the thermal paste was still hard as a rock, so I could not, ever, get the processor out without bending pins.

A note. The processor in my signature is the new CPU. The old one is a Phenom 1035T (No support, as it's OEM-only.) at 2.60 GHz.

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Not really "broke" intentionally. I left the machine running a few hours, the thermal paste was still hard as a rock, so I could not, ever, get the processor out without bending pins.

A note. The processor in my signature is the new CPU. The old one is a Phenom 1035T (No support, as it's OEM-only.) at 2.60 GHz.
I know the old one was 2.6 GHz. Beats my pentium D, maybe not at clock, but in cores. Kinda weird how AMD didn't adopt LGA though, made removing my old pentium 4 (different machine) very easy. Admittedly, I spilled some coke in it (while off, of course), and that got rid of that pesky thermal paste for me ;).Not intentionally, of course. Destroyed the motherboard I assume- the LGA thing is still sticky.

wizard10000
July 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Everybody breaks one once - if you don't break something occasionally you're not trying hard enough :D

My own busted CPU story was with an old machine I had that ran a pair of 1GHz FCPGA Pentium 3 chips. Itty bitty rectangle of silicon on top of a big square chip.

Anyway, I'd heard that lapping the top of the processor to get the heatsink to sit squarely on the chip was a good idea so I got a piece of glass so I had a flat surface and a sheet of emery cloth and sanded just a little too far. That chip never ran.

Remember, discoveries are made by not following instructions :D

mips
July 4th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I left the machine running a few hours, the thermal paste was still hard as a rock, so I could not, ever, get the processor out without bending pins.

Sorry, I don't get that?

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry, I don't get that?

Same here, I thought running the machine would loosen it up, it didn't.

This was my first ever CPU I've tried to remove. So I'm never going to do it again.

mips
July 4th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Same here, I thought running the machine would loosen it up, it didn't.

This was my first ever CPU I've tried to remove. So I'm never going to do it again.

What I don't get is how you could not remove the cpu+heatsink as a complete assembly or at least wiggle the heatsink a bit to get it loose.

Bandit
July 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Sometimes some of the thermal paste can really stick to the CPU. I have found leaving the CPU in the ZIF socket and slightly twisting left to right may let it break loose and get some air under the heatsink. Then there is a rare one that you either have to take a butter knife to or pull perfectly straight up, pulling the CPU from the ZIF socket and pray you dont break a pin.