PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Second Chance For Unity

rigel4
July 3rd, 2011, 11:23 PM
Hey All
When Unity was released with Ubuntu 11.04, I hated it (sorry I did).
I couldn't get used to it, It felt unnatural and cumbersome.So I started looking
around for a replacement, and in the meantime just used Ubuntu classic. I tried
Kubuntu, Fedora 15,with Gnome 3, OpenSuse with Gnome3, and succeeded with installing Gnome3 on Ubuntu.
The install on Ubuntu was the thing that finally changed my mind against hating Unity.

I had setup Ubuntu and gnome 3 and was trying to share a folder, that I wanted access to, from a virtual machine, Um that was not possible, can you believe it, I would have to have installed another desktop like KDE to setup the shares. So i thought to myself, I am being stupid here lets try Unity one more time, and that was two weeks ago, I am still using it and have grown to like. Gnome 3 visually looks the better candidate, but working with it has limitations that for me were deal breakers.
For now i will be sticking with unity and offer my support to the devs at Ubuntu. I think they are on the right track, but like everything new it will take a while for the development to reach it's best potential and for users like me to accept that change is hard but sometimes worthwhile.