PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is pop up from forum msg a security risk?

sea_dawg
July 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, and apologize in advance if it is not....

While reading this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1796036

Specifically post #10 by Swagman I cliked on the image in the post and up popped a message. Something along the lines of "You have been selected to win ad iPad" or something similar along with audio reading the same message.

Of course I immediately closed the pop up.

This is the second time this has happened to me in the forums.

Is this a security problem? If so, is it on my end? Something I should install / setup?

Maverick Meerkat
Chromium 12.0.742.91

Dave_L
July 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
It's not surprising that a site like imageshack.us would have popup advertisements. I doubt if viewing the popup is a significant security issue. But I don't get the popup, probably because I have them blocked in firefox, and also use the noscript add-on.

sea_dawg
July 3rd, 2011, 11:05 PM
Thank you for pointing out the image is hosted on imageshack. I should have noticed that.

Also, thanks for reminding me about turning off pop ups. I neglected to do that when I installed Chromium.

cariboo
July 4th, 2011, 03:14 AM
We don't have any popup advertising on this forum. the only pop-ups you'll get, are if you click the link at the top of the page under your user name when you have a private message, visitor message or friend request.