PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Help mounting drives remotely

DavidWeight
July 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hi,

Bit of an annoying problem-hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I've got a server running which has had the power restarted, and so the drives (aside from the boot drive) have not been mounted, and not showing up in /media
Normally I'd just open them from the menu, but the only access I have to the server is though a webmin interface as I'm abroad at the moment (a command line, basic file manager etc.). I was looking to mount them through the command line, but got stuck when I couldn't remember what file system is on there.
Is there a way to do the equivalent of opening the drive up on the desktop but through the command line, and if not, is there a way to get these mounted and working remotely?

Thanks!

drdos2006
July 3rd, 2011, 11:30 PM
Webmin will do that for you.
Go to System -> Disk and Network FileSystems. Mount your drive with Add Mount.

regards

steinerd
July 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Well, might seem as I am playing the master of the obvious but have you tried

mount -afrom the command shell utility in webmin? I'll take a look at my config and see if I can help you out... As I typed that I figured out what a retard that I am. If they were in the fstab they would have mounted at boot. Are you speaking of network drives? NFS CIFS SMB? also, is it that you have the noauto flag set for local drives, and this is why they are not mapping?

From webmin command shell you should be able to do a

showmount -e {server}to find your desired mount point if you are using nfs... then

mount -t nfs server:path/to/files /local/pathsimilar commands are sufficient of SMB and CIFS.

Typing

mount /path/to/device /mount/dir/should be sufficient to mount your drive with defaults.

Hope this helped some...

Edit: Just tried my server from the command shell in webmin. was able to mount/umount all of my network drives and my usb disk. Pretty sure you are on the right track with command shell guess it's just a matter of finding the right syntax. There seems no difference from running it local as far as my machine is concerned.

DavidWeight
July 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks guys-didn't realise you could mount it graphically once I got the file system from the command line! Still slowly learning about Webmin-and cheers for the pointer about being able to mount with defaults