PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Scrolling background window without changing focus

Ranko Kohime
July 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
I would like to be able to scroll a background window, without bringing it into focus. I was able to do this in OS X, but I can't seem to do it in Xubuntu.

I'm aware of the window focus settings in Xubuntu's menu, but these don't quite do what I want. They prevent the rear window from coming forward, but scrolling in the window still gives it focus, which prevents entry into the forward window.

Anyone know of a way to change this?

Toz
July 3rd, 2011, 11:56 PM
If I understand correctly, this can be accomplished by going to Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Accessiblity tab and unselecting "Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed". Mind you, I'm scrolling the window by using my mouse wheel.

wildmanne39
July 4th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hi, I can scroll the windows in the back ground also, with my mouse wheel as long as I do not click on it, it stays in the back ground, I am not sure if I had to change a setting in compiz to make this happen or where because I have done so much customizing I just can not remember.

Ranko Kohime
August 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
If I understand correctly, this can be accomplished by going to Settings->Window Manager Tweaks->Accessiblity tab and unselecting "Raise windows when any mouse button is pressed". Mind you, I'm scrolling the window by using my mouse wheel.
It took me this long to look in the Tweaks section instead of the other window section, :lol: but it did work. Thanks for the help. :)

Radogor
November 8th, 2012, 02:47 PM
The proposed method works, but now the background window activation is possible only by title, not by free space or browser tab. How to disable the capture focus only for the mouse wheel?

Impavidus
November 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Set "focus follows mouse" instead of "click to focus" in settings>window manager>focus, or whatever the exact words are, because I don't use the english version. A window will gain focus as soon as your pointer moves in, without bringing it to the foreground.

Radogor
November 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Focus is given, but the window does not go to the front. The task is not to find a crutch, task disable switching background applications when scroll mouse.