PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Favourite desktop interface?

Lkm
July 3rd, 2011, 11:32 AM
What's your favourite?
Any recommendations?

Are there any particularly good ones for an ageing laptop?

Put all three major ones on this lucid install. I'd like to try out a few, I've been using gnome for the best part of a year now.
Tried out KDE which is very slick and shiny, the settings are rather difficult to get the hang of, but I suspect once I do manage to set everything up I'll be good to go.
Xfce is very nice in terms of usability.

Also any recommended distros, or do they all look the same under a given window manager anyway?

I'd also like to try out some GUI programming in C, is any interface/distro in particular better than others for this?

ShagzModo
July 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
I like fedora 15 with Gnome 3 Lovelock... SWEEET! tried installing Gnome 3 on Ubuntu, could not get it to work properly...

wildmanne39
July 4th, 2011, 01:52 AM
What's your favourite?
Any recommendations?

Are there any particularly good ones for an ageing laptop?

Put all three major ones on this lucid install. I'd like to try out a few, I've been using gnome for the best part of a year now.
Tried out KDE which is very slick and shiny, the settings are rather difficult to get the hang of, but I suspect once I do manage to set everything up I'll be good to go.
Xfce is very nice in terms of usability.

Also any recommended distros, or do they all look the same under a given window manager anyway?

I'd also like to try out some GUI programming in C, is any interface/distro in particular better than others for this?
Hi, I have have been told that openbox is good for older systems.

cre8ive65
July 5th, 2011, 03:52 AM
If your going with an ubuntu distro, xubuntu is lightwieght, however Linux in general is lightweight, for example you can smoothly run ubuntu on a 1ghz snapdragon phone processor

I prefer Gnome over KDE because i try to be as open source as possible and if i remember correctly, KDE is proprietary. I know many people who swear by KDE, and heck, KDE is even available for windows! But i have had a lot more fun customizing Gnome, in the end its all about personal preference, Gnome is the winner in my books, but KDE is a close second

Just my 2 bits ;)

dFlyer
July 5th, 2011, 03:55 AM
The nice thing about linux is choice. What I like you may not like. I'm currently using Unity until Ubuntu release gnome3. I've been using gnome since the mid 90's when it was still in beta. I've decided to stay with Unity instead of reverting back to classic gnome just to get use to the interface, which I've come to like.