PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LaTeX problems in dapper?

tjansson
May 20th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I installed the kile LaTeX editor, which in return installed all the dependencies. But somehow there is LaTeX package missing. Namly srcltx.sty, which ought to be included in the kdvi ubuntu package according to [URL="http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?searchmode=filelist&word=kdvi&version=breezy&arch=amd64"]

Another problems is that doesn't seem to reconize danish as the language in bable:

[LaTeX] essay.tex => essay.dvi (latex)
/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/generic/babel/danish.ldf:0: No hyphenation patterns were loaded for(babel) the language `Danish'(babel) I will use the patterns loaded for \language=0 instead.

which should work on other machines.

Is there some extra tetex packages which include srcltx.sty or should I really install from the web by hand?

kleeman
May 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Hmm I installed kdvi and I have that style file in

/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi

What exactly is the issue?
I note that your package search was with breezy and amd64 but I thought you were using dapper.....

tkjacobsen
May 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM
try to install the tetex-extra package. It is not installed with kile

tjansson
May 20th, 2006, 02:14 PM
try to install the tetex-extra package. It is not installed with kile
Unfortunately it already did:

root@newton:/home/tjansson# aptitude install kile
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
kdvi kviewshell perl-tk tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-extra tex-common
The following NEW packages will be installed:
kdvi kile kviewshell perl-tk tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc tetex-extra tex-commo

tjansson
May 20th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Hmm I installed kdvi and I have that style file in

/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi

What exactly is the issue?
I note that your package search was with breezy and amd64 but I thought you were using dapper.....
You right - the package is there

root@newton:/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi# ls
aboutkde.ps.gz index.cache.bz2 KDVI-features.dvi.gz kdvi-search.el optionrequester2.png srctex.sty
common index.docbook KDVI-features.tex.gz optionrequester1.png srcltx.sty

but somehow kile does not register it. When I do system check in kile it report it missing.

Spie
May 20th, 2006, 03:58 PM
The srcltx.sty is not in the texhash update path. Everytime you add a style package to latex you should run texhash. So /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi won't be checked when you run texhash. Normally, texhash is ran automatically after an apt-get install latex-package. So either put that path in the texhash update path (Add something like this:

declare -x TEXINPUTS=.:$/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi:to your .bashrc) or move the srcltx.sty to a path which is updated with texhash (i.e. /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex).
After this run:

sudo texhash
And when you run LaTeX now it should be OK.

I think you can also run:

sudo texhash /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kdvi

I hope this will work for you.

Instead of running Kile, I suggest Texmaker. Not from the repositories but download (http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/) the package without qt-libraries.

Spie
May 20th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I tried to load the danish language package and on my system it just works.

After googling a while I found that the problem for some people was solved after a simple:

dpkg-reconfigure tetex-bin

Good luck with everything.

mannheim
May 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I beleive the reason it is not included in the standard distribution is that srcltx.sty is not needed anymore with modern tex systems such as tetex 3.0 in dapper.

The purpose of stcltx.sty is to insert "source specials" in the dvi file, in order to allow a dvi view (such as xdvi or kdvi) to do an "inverse search" -- getting a text editor to open the source file at the point corresponding to a known point in the dvi file.

With recent versions of tex, you can get (la)tex itself to insert source specials, using a command-line switch:

latex -src-specials MyGreatWork.tex

Do "tex -help" for details.

tjansson
May 21st, 2006, 03:17 PM
Spie and Mannheim:
Thanks for the advice. I just seems strange that the packages isn't installed as a dependency, when the Kile latex editor wants it. It was installed by default in Mandriva. So I guess I'll just install it by hand then. But thanks for the help :D

As to the babel and danish language support, then after running the "dpkg-reconfigure tetex-bin" command as root it didn't change anything. Maybe it is because that the language of the installation is english and I only use Danish in Latex?

Spie
May 21st, 2006, 04:36 PM
I don't know what you mean by "when the Kile latex editor wants it". Can't you just comment it in your LaTeX source file? Like Mannheim, I don't see the use for it. Kile is just an editor for LaTeX, it doesn't want anything unless you specify it in your source.

As for the Danish grammar, Danish is just present in /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/generic/babel/. I can use it but I am sure I never will ;)
Did you use
\usepackage[danish]{babel} in your preamble?

nickle
May 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
move the srcltx.sty to a path which is updated with texhash (i.e. /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex).
After this run:

sudo texhash And when you run LaTeX now it should be OK.

This worked for me... Tx

tjansson
May 23rd, 2006, 12:02 AM
I don't know what you mean by "when the Kile latex editor wants it". Can't you just comment it in your LaTeX source file? Like Mannheim, I don't see the use for it. Kile is just an editor for LaTeX, it doesn't want anything unless you specify it in your source.

When I work paper in physics, which i'm am studying, there is alot of formulas and mathematics in the things I write in latex. Sometimes it can be difficult to se where in the .tex document the error resides when looking at .dvi file. I my case it is very usefull eventhough you don't see the for it.

Thanks for pointing out that kile is an editor. I was however aware that it is only program and does not "want" things. In the program there is a option called "system check" which does check is the needed requirements for kile is present. See this picture http://www.tjansson.dk/phpAlbum/billeder/examples/kile-srcltx.sty.jpg

The reason for this thread was that I could understand why ubuntus tetex packages didn't seem to include srcltx.sty in a way that made kile aware of the latex package. This was default in mandriva - so I was curios.

As for the babel part i did included the same way you did.

Spie
May 24th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I see you're using KDE so no need to use texmaker (like I said in an earlier post). Kile is nice! But slow if using gnome and I don't want to install all those extra kde-packages.

Nevertheless, after installing srcltx I think it is a nice tool, but with recent LaTeX versions you don't need srcltx, like Mannheim said. But if you're using Kile:
"The LaTeX srcltx package must be loaded before forward and inverse searches will work in Kile. This package can be found on CTAN in the macros/latex/contrib/srcltx directory. In addition, TEX input files must contain the line \usepackage[active]{srcltx} and the Kile embedded viewer, Kdvi, must have an option set: Settings -> DVI Options -> DVI Specials -> Shell Command -> kile %f --line %l." (Source (http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/latex.shtml))

And I found this (informative page with nice links):
"Producing TeX files for inverse search
There are essentially two ways to produce DVI files which contain inverse search information: you can either use a TeX/LaTeX binary which generates and includes the necessary information automatically, or you can include an extra package which is written in TeX/LaTeX.
A TeX binary which generates and includes the necessary information automatically is certainly the preferred method of including inverse search information. If you use version 2 or greater of the TeTeX TeX distribution, you can use the 'src-specials' command line option of the tex or latex command, as follows.

tex --src-specials myfile.tex
or

latex --src-specials myfile.tex
If you do not have a TeX binary which includes inverse search information natively, copy the files srcltx.sty and srctex.sty to the folder where your TeX file resides (you can do that by pressing the Shift key and left mouse button while the mouse pointer is on a hyperlink.) If you use LaTeX, add the line

\usepackage[active]{srcltx}
to the preamble of your LaTeX file. If you use plain TeX, the line

\include{srctex}
will do the trick." (source (http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdegraphics/kdvi/inverse-search.html))

You solved the babel problem already?
Tried a

sudo texhash
like Nickle?

escape
May 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Sorry for slight derail, but you might also consider lyx-qt, and qtconfig to make it look good. I have yet to have any problems iwth lyx-qt on Breezy or Dapper; works fine using Gnome as well as KDE.

cantormath
March 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM
This worked for me... Tx

This definitely fixed the problem.

first download srcltx.ins and .dtx to a folder and

tex srcltx.ins

then move the srcltx.sty file to
/usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex

sudo cp srcltx.sty /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex

run texhash

sudo texhash

then restart kile, should be totally fixed when you run the system check in kile.

gstt
April 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I am trying to configure inverse search with Kile in Ubuntu. I have googled the forum and found that the old tex system needs srcltx.sty but for the newer one it only to specify
latex -src-specials %filename

So this might be a more convenient way to configure than copying srcltx.sty to /usr/share/texmf-tetex/tex/latex/

0) Use Synaptic Package to install kile and kdvi

1) In Kile, choose Settings-> Configure Kile -> Build -> Latex -> General
In Options, change it to :
--src-specials -interaction=nonstopmode '%source'

2) In Kile, choose Settings-> Configure Kile -> Build -> Latex -> ViewDVI
In Advanced, choose Run Embedded in Kile for Type. In General it should display "kviewerpart" for Library, "KViewPart" for Library Class, "dvi" for Options

3) In Kdvi, choose Settings-> Configure Kile -> DVI Specials
Choose Kile for Editor, kile %f --line %l for Shell Command

After this, I am able to compile dvi file and use middle button to do inverse search in Kdvi. And in Kile you can do Forward search.