PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not able to Log on - Kernel panic not syncing VFS

ale_ramesh
July 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

Last week i was playing with adding/removing items to the panel and some unknown error happened and suddenly my keyboard strokes are not recognized(I can enter log-in password while logging but after that input from keyboard is not recognized).

As per my friends suggestion i tried to update the ubuntu to the latest version 11.04 and during this process,System restarted by itself and it could not restart successfully and since then i am getting the below error:

Kernel Panic not syncing VFS unable to mount root vfs on Unknown block(0,0)

I tried with different options displayed on the boot up screen and the results are as below:

Ubuntu-2.6.3-28-generic -- Not working
Ubuntu-2.6.3-28-generic-Recovery Mode -- Not working
Ubuntu-2.6.3-27-generic -- Working but input from keyboard is not recognized
Ubuntu-2.6.3-27-generic-Recovery Mode -- Working but input from keyboard is not recognized
Ubuntu-2.6.3-24-generic -- Working but input from keyboard is not recognized
Ubuntu-2.6.3-24-generic-Recovery Mode -- Working but input from keyboard is not recognized
Windows 7 -- working and keyboard also working

As the other options are working but input from keyboard is not recognized after logging in..

Please help me out of this situation..

Thanks in Advance..

mörgæs
July 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Do you also have the problem when logging into Gnome Classic?

ale_ramesh
July 3rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
Do you also have the problem when logging into Gnome Classic?

I am just a beginner to the world of Linux..This is the first time i am hearing the term Gnome Classic..

At least to my knowledge i did not install any such thing..

Please let me know how can i check that so that i can confirm..

Thanks for looking into my question..

mörgæs
July 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
It is installed by default. At the bottom of the log-in screen you see a list of options, among others Gnome Classic.

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/ubuntu-classic-desktop-how-to-log-into-the-old-gnome-environment-instead-of-unity/

ale_ramesh
July 3rd, 2011, 12:05 PM
It is installed by default. At the bottom of the log-in screen you see a list of options, among others Gnome Classic.

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/ubuntu-classic-desktop-how-to-log-into-the-old-gnome-environment-instead-of-unity/

I dont get that far..it just shows me the error message as soon as i select the ubuntu option from boot up menu..

ale_ramesh
July 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM

Ok, I tried what u said and here are the observarions..

[LIST=1]
Ubuntu-2.6.3-28-generic -- Does not even reach that far,Fails at the boot level only
Ubuntu-2.6.3-28-generic-Recovery Mode -- Does not even reach that far,Fails at the boot level only

When tried with the other options Ubuntu-2.6.3-27,Ubuntu-2.6.3-24 i dont see the option 'Ubuntu Classic'.

The options displayed are:
Recovery Console
Ubuntu Desktop Edition
Ubuntu Desktop Edition(Safe Mode)
User Defined session

Am i missing anything here?

ale_ramesh
July 3rd, 2011, 12:23 PM
Ok, I tried what u said and here are the observarions..

[LIST=1]
1. Ubuntu-2.6.3-28-generic -- Does not even reach that far,Fails at the boot level only

When tried with the other options Ubuntu-2.6.3-27,Ubuntu-2.6.3-24 i dont see the option 'Ubuntu Classic'.

The options displayed are:
Recovery Console
Ubuntu Desktop Edition
Ubuntu Desktop Edition(Safe Mode)
User Defined session

Am i missing anything here?
Instead of editing the previous post, accidentally i clicked on Quote button..Please bear with this

ale_ramesh
July 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Any takers guys..

Please help me.

mörgæs
July 4th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Maybe best is a reinstall. A kernel panic is the most severe error in Linux, and it rarely pays to spend long time mending it.

ale_ramesh
July 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe best is a reinstall. A kernel panic is the most severe error in Linux, and it rarely pays to spend long time mending it.

But i have lots of data in that partition and moreover i cannot access it through Windows..Is there any way i can take backup?

mörgæs
July 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Yes, from a live boot.