PDA

View Full Version : w3m

Random_Dude
July 3rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi,

Lately I have been playing around with some CLI programs when I'm bored. Some of them are quite nice and I'm starting to getting used to them.
Maybe I've got some hipster geek inside me that thinks GUIs are too mainstream. :D

But some just seem that might have little to no use nowadays. So, I was wondering, does anyone here use w3m?

I understand using media players and email clients that only have a CLI, but websites these days have lot of functionalities which are not compatible with a text-base browser.

Do any of you have used w3m on a regular basis in the last 10 years?

Cheers :cool:

Spice Weasel
July 3rd, 2011, 12:14 PM
w3m is for clueless neckbeards, real pro Linux users use elinks.

nothingspecial
July 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I use elinks all the time -

1 Use the information on the page without all the nonsense that goes with it..... adverts, flash, etc

2 Anyone who sees your computer screen assumes you are working ;)

Random_Dude
July 3rd, 2011, 02:05 PM
I use elinks all the time -

1 Use the information on the page without all the nonsense that goes with it..... adverts, flash, etc

The first one you could just use NoScript and AdBlock. As for the second I've never though of that. :D

What's the advantages of elinks over w3m?
Does anyone use an internet connection so slow that would justify these browsers (in this century)?

koleoptero
July 3rd, 2011, 02:14 PM

Excellent point. :D

nothingspecial
July 3rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
The first one you could just use NoScript and AdBlock. As for the second I've never though of that. :D

What's the advantages of elinks over w3m?
Does anyone use an internet connection so slow that would justify these browsers (in this century)?

Well, I meant all the pictures and what not and colours and everything. You get the text, which unless you are looking for wallpapers or watching videos, is what you are interested in.

I must admit, I haven't really given w3m a good go but I like elinks because -

1. You can associate file types with other applications, so if I do want to view an image or watch a video this is possible.

2. The inbuilt search features. For example, you press g to open the address box, then type

g ubuntu and it will search google for ubuntu.

3. Numbered links. You press . and every link is given a number. Go to it by typing the number.

and loads of other stuff like the the huge amount of customisation available etc etc etc

Random_Dude
July 3rd, 2011, 03:59 PM
1. You can associate file types with other applications, so if I do want to view an image or watch a video this is possible.

I haven't tried looking at videos yet, but the images in w3m are open with feh (by default) and when you want to enter text (like replying in forums), it uses nano (although I've change it to Vim in the options menu).

2. The inbuilt search features. For example, you press g to open the address box, then type

g ubuntu and it will search google for ubuntu.

3. Numbered links. You press . and every link is given a number. Go to it by typing the number.

I didn't know these two, that's actually pretty cool. :)

One of the major differences I've seen after trying elinks is that it does not have color. w3m has different colours on the text, which I find easier to read, especially if you have a lot of links (like in ubuntu forums).

nothingspecial
July 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM
I haven't tried looking at videos yet, but the images in w3m are open with feh (by default) and when you want to enter text (like replying in forums), it uses nano (although I've change it to Vim in the options menu).

I didn't know these two, that's actually pretty cool. :)

One of the major differences I've seen after trying elinks is that it does not have color. w3m has different colours on the text, which I find easier to read, especially if you have a lot of links (like in ubuntu forums).

In elinks press Alt-S to enter the setup and choose terminal options. You can turn colours on in there. Then press O to open the options manager. Scroll down to Document and press Space to expand, then again to Default Colours. From there you can choose which colours links, visted links, text etc etc etc have

Random_Dude
July 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
In elinks press Alt-S to enter the setup and choose terminal options. You can turn colours on in there. Then press O to open the options manager. Scroll down to Document and press Space to expand, then again to Default Colours. From there you can choose which colours links, visted links, text etc etc etc have

Thanks for the tip, I'll mess around with it later. ;)

cgroza
July 3rd, 2011, 07:21 PM
I am cooler than all of you guys. I view my pages in plain HTML. wget and cat is all I need.

Dustin2128
July 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
A disturbingly large number of people still have dial-up.

jerenept
July 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
I am cooler than all of you guys. I view my pages in plain HTML. wget and cat is all I need.

curl http://ubuntuforums.org/

will show the source HTML

snowpine
July 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
My netbook is set up to boot to CLI, if I need graphical tools then I type "startx" to launch my windows manager, but if I just need to boot up and quickly search for some information or type an email, it is easier and quicker to use elinks or w3m from the terminal.