PDA

View Full Version : Party Recipes - Post your party food recipes.

Bandit
July 3rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
With July 4th coming up, plus everyone loves food regardless of the occasion. I thought this thread would be a great idea.

One of my favorite foods is Hot Wings. This is a simple recipe, and delicious.

-=HOT-WINGS=-
You need:
- chicken wings
- 2 quarts of oil, vegetable preferred
- deep fryer or deep pot to fry in.
- half cup of butter or margarine. I use Blue Bonnet brand.
- baking flour, non rising.
- light salt (optional).
- Louisiana Hot Sauce, this brand is best for this IMHO.
- lime juice (optional).

*Make sure your wings have already thoroughly thawed out before starting.
*Start by heating your oil up to 400F.
*Dump about a cup or two of your floor into a large bowl.
*Slightly season your floor with a sprinkle of salt. (optional)
*To make the sauce you want to mix about 1 part butter to 1 part Louisiana hot sauce. Usually 1/4cup butter to 1/4cup sauce. But may need more depending on the amount of wings your cooking. Heat the butter until its melted before adding sauce. Then squirt a shot of lime juice into the mixed butter sauce.
*Soon as your oil has got to 400F, take your wings and toss some of them into the floor then add them carefully to the hot oil. Careful not to get burned or add to many wings at one time to your cooker. Normally medium sized wings can take from 12 to 15mins to cook. This also depends how many wings your trying to cook also. Just be sure to cook theme completely. A sure sign they are getting cooked good is when they start to float.
*After they have cooked, oil has drained and cooled slightly. You can place them in a seal-able container that you have a air tight lid for. Then poor your wings sauce over them, place the lid on the container securely. Then toss or shake your container of wings and sauce until the wings are fully covered in wing sauce. Careful not to shake to hard and jar the lid loose. That would make a nasty mess.
*Once you have done that, you can server them to your friends or guest. I prefer mine with Blue Cheese dressing.

Enjoy,
Joe

PhillyPhil
July 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
I think I had a heart attack just reading that!

CraigPaleo
July 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Chicken Fried Bacon

1 lb thick sliced bacon
1/2 cup plus 3 tbs flour
3/4 cup cream
2 organic vegetarian eggs
4 tbs butter
20-30 saltines crackers, crushed
salt and pepper
hot sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbs worcestershire sauce

Egg Wash:
mix two eggs with a 1/4 cup cream and a couple dashes of hot sauce.

Slather bacon in the egg wash then dip it in crushed saltines until covered.

Place into a medium/high heat heavy bottom pan that is coated with butter.

Pan fry for about 2-4 minutes on each side. Cook until the bacon is golden brown on each side. Alternatively, deep fry for about 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and let drain on a paper towel.

Gravy:
Melt 4 tbs of butter in a pan and whisk in 3 tbs of flour. Cook until the flour turns slighly brown. Add 1 cup of chicken broth, 1/2 cup of cream, 1 tbs of worcestershire, a dash of hot sauce and salt and pepper.

Heat until boiling, stir frequently, and then reduce. Once it starts to thicken, remove from the heat and let sit for a couple of minutes.

Serve the chicken fried bacon with the gravy for a heart stopping meal that is amazing.

mips
July 3rd, 2011, 11:55 AM
Beer or whatever else you drink and lots of meat for the BBQ.

Eiji Takanaka
July 3rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
1) Take some bread put it in a toaster to lightly toast it.
2) Whilst doing this grate some cheese, if you like cheese a lot, grate a lot!
3) Take bread from toaster, and delicately sprinkle the cheesy goodness onto your toast.
4) Grill, allowing the cheese to bubble and slightly brown.
5) If your feeling particularly daring, perhaps try adding some extra flavour, maybe some bbq sauce something like that!
6) Turn the grill off, you don't want to be burning the house down.
7) Eat!

Gordon Ramsey has nothing on me, NOTHING! ;)

keithpeter
July 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Hello All

Healthy recipe for rice and daal (serves 4 to 6 depending on how hungry)

Red lentils one cup
Fresh ginger generous root cut into half inch cubes, say 4 inches of root
Garlic clove crushed
Chilli: 2 fresh green chillis with seeds removed OR a teaspoon of chilli powder
Tumeric (haldi) powder half tablespoon
One juicy tomato
Bunch of fresh corriander, washed and chopped fine
One large onion (aka Tarka)
Two cups rice
Naan or pitta breads to taste

Method

Good heavy saucepan, boil rinsed lentils with ginger and tumeric for 10 to 15 minutes. Scrape suds from surface. Watch it does not boil over, half cover pan.

After 15 minutes or so add the chilli, tomato and crushed garlic clove, stir well, simmer for another 12 to 15 minutes

Prepare rice (I do Basmati rice in the microwave for 12 minutes in a large pot, but tastes vary)

Fry the chopped onion for 3 minutes as the rest of the food is completing cooking.

Grill or toast the naan/pitta breads

Add the chopped corriander to lentils

Serve everything piping hot with Lassi or yogurt in a bowl with cucumber.

PS: This was an Ishmael Merchant recipe (as in Merchant Ivory films)

uRock
July 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Throw chicken on grill. Flip chicken, then flip chicken, then remove from grill and place on plate. Eat.

I usually dice up peppers and onions then mix them in with BBQ sauce and beer to marinade the chicken for an hour or two.

oldos2er
July 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
2 organic vegetarian eggs

???

uRock
July 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
6) Turn the grill off, you don't want to be burning the house down.
Real grills don't have buttons, switches or knobs! :)

Dry Lips
July 3rd, 2011, 11:11 PM
???
Presumably he means eggs from chicken only fed with vegetable
fodder. At least we get those sort of eggs here where I live.

CraigPaleo
July 4th, 2011, 10:16 PM
???

It makes it healthful. ;)

uRock
July 4th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It makes it healthful. ;)
I think he/she was wondering how you get a vegetarian egg. 8)

CraigPaleo
July 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM

I see. It's just a short way of saying "eggs from organically and vegetarian-fed hens." :D

I tried your recipe, uRock, but as soon as I threw the chicken on the grill, it ran away. :(

uRock
July 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I see. It's just a short way of saying "eggs from organically and vegetarian-fed hens." :D
LMAO!

I tried your recipe, uRock, but as soon as I threw the chicken on the grill, it ran away. :(
BBQ fail. :P

oldos2er
July 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM

It's 'she,' and yes, that's exactly what I was wondering. "Vegetarian egg" seems like an oxymoron at first, but "the more I know...."

handy
July 5th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Curries. You don't need to go to all of the effort of adding the side dishes & such if you don't want to, just cook however many BIG pots of whatever curry recipe you have, or find on the web. Make a vegetable one as well in case someone doesn't eat meat.

They taste great are filling & are easy to make lots of as they are so closely related to a stew.

You can tell I like curry. :)

You can also ask some others (who like cooking) to bring a pot of curry that they made with them. I've done that & it works really well as you get to taste new curry dishes.

Another good thing about curry's is that you can make them a day or more before & they taste even better as the flavours blend, mature & permeate the contents.

CraigPaleo
July 5th, 2011, 02:36 AM
It's 'she,' and yes, that's exactly what I was wondering. "Vegetarian egg" seems like an oxymoron at first, but "the more I know...."

He/she might have signatures turned off and not seen "--Ann" in it. :)

It was actually a joke that I inserted into the recipe (a healthy ingredient) since fried bacon is generally considered unhealthy. The first recipe and the first comment prompted me to continue the theme. :)

oldos2er
July 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
He/she might have signatures turned off and not seen "--Ann" in it. :)

Yes, that's why I made it plain. :)

It was actually a joke that I inserted into the recipe (a healthy ingredient) since fried bacon is generally considered unhealthy. The first recipe and the first comment prompted me to continue the theme. :)

Thanks for the explanation.

mips
July 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM

Another good thing about curry's is that you can make them a day or more before & they taste even better as the flavours blend, mature & permeate the contents.

I had some leftover chicken curry from the weekend for lunch today (on toast).

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Nacho Dip

1 lb of browned hamburger
1 large block of Velveeta cheese
1 jar of hot salsa (or medium if you're a wimp)

Melt it all together in the microwave and eat with corn chips. Awesome.

Also, is it an egg that only eats vegetables, or is it some kind of synthetic egg made from tofu that is safe for a vegetarian to eat? :)

Bandit
July 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Real grills don't have buttons, switches or knobs! :)

This++

Bandit
July 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Curries. You don't need to go to all of the effort of adding the side dishes & such if you don't want to, just cook however many BIG pots of whatever curry recipe you have, or find on the web. Make a vegetable one as well in case someone doesn't eat meat.

They taste great are filling & are easy to make lots of as they are so closely related to a stew.

You can also ask some others (who like cooking) to bring a pot of curry that they made with them. I've done that & it works really well as you get to taste new curry dishes.

I love curry but have no idea how to make them or even make the flat bread I used to eat it with in the middle east. Most of the time I was not even sure what was in the curry I was eating.. hehe Prob Camel..

rg4w
July 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Peach Jello in a brain-shaped mold makes a tasty and memorable treat. :)

mips
July 5th, 2011, 08:38 PM
I love curry but have no idea how to make them or even make the flat bread I used to eat it with in the middle east. Most of the time I was not even sure what was in the curry I was eating.. hehe Prob Camel..

It's actually very easy to make, just follow a recipe and get the proper spices & powders.

CraigPaleo
July 5th, 2011, 09:37 PM
Also, is it an egg that only eats vegetables, or is it some kind of synthetic egg made from tofu that is safe for a vegetarian to eat? :)

Good point as well. I'm used to seeing these so I assumed everyone would know what I meant.:P Personally, I don't think they're healthier. Chickens aren't naturally vegetarians so they're missing out on whatever nutrients they get from insects and the like.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2454932148_5ae82d35f6.jpg

May I add some refried beans to your recipe?

forrestcupp
July 5th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Real grills don't have buttons, switches or knobs! :)Hank Hill would be disappointed in you. :)

Good point as well. I'm used to seeing these so I assumed everyone would know what I meant.:P Personally, I don't think they're healthier. Chickens aren't naturally vegetarians so they're missing out on whatever nutrients they get from insects and the like.They should call them Vegetarian Chicken's Eggs, then. ;)

May I add some refried beans to your recipe?Yeah. That would probably be pretty good. Just be sure to make the source code available. :)

CraigPaleo
July 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Just be sure to make the source code available. :)

:lolflag: I'll type it up and hand it out to everyone I serve it to. :D

Bandit
July 5th, 2011, 11:12 PM
It's actually very easy to make, just follow a recipe and get the proper spices & powders.

I got a grocery run next week. May just see if Walmart has what I need.

handy
July 6th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I got a grocery run next week. May just see if Walmart has what I need.

Apart from party food, curries are great because you can make a curry way too big for your needs in a big pot & then freeze the excess in packs sizes just right for some next times. :) Wet curries are particularly good for that.

As far as the flat bread, there are a variety of naan breads that are made in different parts of India (& elsewhere) they are easily made:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/naan-bread/detail.aspx

Also their are chapati which are also very easy to make: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/indian-chapati-bread/detail.aspx

Bandit
July 6th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Apart from party food, curries are great because you can make a curry way too big for your needs in a big pot & then freeze the excess in packs sizes just right for some next times. :) Wet curries are particularly good for that.

As far as the flat bread, there are a variety of naan breads that are made in different parts of India (& elsewhere) they are easily made:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/naan-bread/detail.aspx

Also their are chapati which are also very easy to make: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/indian-chapati-bread/detail.aspx

I have been looking for a normal Wet Beef Curry recipe, but I havent found anything thats normal. Everying I keep seeing has stuff like apple sauce and cocnut milk in it. I know there has to be a normal recipe like I used to eat in Bahrain somewhere.. You dont happen to have a link to one good sir? :)

PhillyPhil
July 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Good point as well. I'm used to seeing these so I assumed everyone would know what I meant.:P Personally, I don't think they're healthier. Chickens aren't naturally vegetarians so they're missing out on whatever nutrients they get from insects and the like.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2454932148_5ae82d35f6.jpg

May I add some refried beans to your recipe?

Yeah, I wonder about these 'vegetarian' eggs too. Insects are a source of protein and fat, as well as calcium etc. It would be interesting to see how the eggs compare nutritionally.

Another puzzle is people's rational for wanting 'vegetarian' eggs! What makes these eggs more attractive to some people? Are they activists for insect rights?
How about fish: would they only eat vegetarian fish (if they eat fish at all)?

handy
July 6th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I have been looking for a normal Wet Beef Curry recipe, but I havent found anything thats normal. Everying I keep seeing has stuff like apple sauce and cocnut milk in it. I know there has to be a normal recipe like I used to eat in Bahrain somewhere.. You dont happen to have a link to one good sir? :)

Find a 2nd hand book written by Kurma, or for very likely the best book on Indian food: Lord Krishna's Cuisine: Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

I've not seen that last book, but I bought it on Amazon (over 800 pages & 500+ recipes) brand new for $21- US.

It won't have any meat, or egg dishes in it, but I don't mind as I'm a vegan anyway. :) You don't miss meat in great veggie curries that are full of varieties of flavour combinations. (Well, I certainly don't miss meat anyway.)

CraigPaleo
July 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I wonder about these 'vegetarian' eggs too. Insects are a source of protein and fat, as well as calcium etc. It would be interesting to see how the eggs compare nutritionally.

Another puzzle is people's rational for wanting 'vegetarian' eggs! What makes these eggs more attractive to some people? Are they activists for insect rights?
How about fish: would they only eat vegetarian fish (if they eat fish at all)?

Exactly. They also sell the vegetarian chicken, which is more perplexing. Who are they trying to appeal to? Vegetarians aren't going to eat it. :confused:

FromMomWithLove
July 14th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Barbecued Paneer Tikka Masala (http://www.momsindiancooking.com/learn-how-to-make-barbecued-paneer-tikka-masala-on-this-fathers-day)
Barbecued Spicy Indian Style Cheese
Preparation time: 4 hrs 15 mins.
Cooking time: 10 Minutes
Ingredients:
For marinating:
3 ˝ tablespoons plain yogurt whisked
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon garam masala*
1 tablespoon ginger paste
1 tablespoon green chili finely chopped
3 tablespoons fresh mint minced
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon oil
14-16 oz. paneer cut into 12 uniform rectangular pieces*
1 small onion cut into about 1 ˝ inch wedges
1 green bell pepper cut into 1 ˝ inch long pieces
1 red bell pepper cut into 1 ˝ inch long pieces
12 cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon oil
˝ teaspoon salt
As needed - oil for grilling
1 tablespoon Chat masala*
Method:
Mix all the marinating ingredients in bowl. Add paneer pieces and mix
gently. Marinate for four hours at room temperature.
Just before cooking, mix all the vegetables with oil and salt in bowl.
Arrange into skewers, alternating vegetables with paneer.
Barbecue 2-3 minutes each side. Apply oil as needed to prevent
sticking to the grill.
Remove from skewers and lightly sprinkle with Chat masala.
*Available in Indian stores or see From Mom with love… for Paneer
and Garam Masala recipe.
TLC Tips:
- Can be marinated in the fridge overnight. Remove from fridge 2
hours before barbecuing.
- For a vegan version, substitute extra firm tofu for paneer
- The paneer tends to stick to the grill. Use a skewer rack to
elevate the paneer pieces from the grill
- Alternately, use electric griddle to cook. About 2-3 minutes each
side
- The paneer pieces tend to rotate on themselves while being
cooked. To prevent this, use two parallel skewers about ˝ inch
apart

Bandit
July 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Here is one for those who like homemade pizzas. I have to avoid MSG in foods, so I have to be a picky eater. So here is my Easy Pizzas Recipe.

Now you have two options for this. I have used both but prefer the easy route. 1) Buy ready make pizza dough or 2) Just buy the bread already cooked. Many bakeries have the crust ready to go with nothing on it fairly cheap. I prefer #2.

Other items are you meats, I just use Pepperoni. You will also need virgin olive oil. Petite Diced Tomatoes. Regular diced can work but will be bigger. You need Oregano, Parsley, Garlic Powder and a pinch of salt and Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.

Start buy preheating to oven to 400F, then grease up your pizza pan with the olive oil, then place your bread crust on the pan and grease it up also.
Spread the tomatoes over the crust evenly, then sprinkle a light amount of Parsley, Garlic Powder and Oregano over the tomatoes. Then a nice layer of Mozzarella Cheese. Lightly poor a small amount of olive oil over the cheese, dont over do it. Then you can apply your pepperoni to the top any way you like. Depending on the altitude you can cook for 7-12 minutes, let settle for a bit then enjoy..

Cheers.. :popcorn: