PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinking about switch one computer to Ubuntu

adityaparikh1
July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 8400 running on Windows XP and it is starting to feel a little sluggish on the modern internet.

The specs it has are the following:

Intel Pentium 4 Single-Core 3.0 GHz Processor w/ Hyper-Threading
1GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA Graphics Card with 256MB Dedicated Memory

I don't know the exact specs of the RAM and Graphics at the moment but I will post them ASAP.

Since Windows XP is starting to feel somewhat sluggish, I'm thinking about dual-booting WinXP and Ubuntu. My needs are everyday needs. On Ubuntu, my life will be on the internet with an occasional LibreOffice application or an occasional video edit. What I mean by "life on the internet" is I will be running upto 8 tabs at once, I'm talking streaming HD videos on YouTube, Pandora radio etc etc, with my browser of choice, Google Chrome.

What will the performance of Ubuntu be based on my needs and specs? Boot times?

How reliable is Ubuntu? I haven't exactly had the greatest experiances with Linux in the past(System failures usually in around a week). I want to make this my hassle-free permanent OS.

How secure is Ubuntu? Are there any AVs to run? Firewalls?

Is it possible to stream Netflix on Ubuntu? Maybe through Boxee or something?

Thank you. I will post again with any more questions I have. You can also ask me any questions that will help you answer me.

wolfen69
July 2nd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Intel Pentium 4 Single-Core 3.0 GHz Processor w/ Hyper-Threading
1GB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA Graphics Card with 256MB Dedicated Memory
Specs look decent.

What will the performance of Ubuntu be based on my needs and specs? Boot times?
It should be OK, but that depends on how good your video card is. Boot times are usually a bit quicker than windows.

How reliable is Ubuntu? I haven't exactly had the greatest experiances with Linux in the past
I've been using ubuntu/linux for years and find it to be very reliable. But that depends on if your computer is linux compatible. I only buy linux compatible hardware and never have any problems.

How secure is Ubuntu? Are there any AVs to run? Firewalls?
You don't need to run any of that, as ubuntu is extremely secure.

Is it possible to stream Netflix on Ubuntu? Maybe through Boxee or something?
Not at the moment, but there is supposed to be browser extensions in the works that will allow it.

adityaparikh1
July 2nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
It should be OK, but that depends on how good your video card is.

NVIDEA GeForce 6800 256MB Graphics Card is my video card.

JC Cheloven
July 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
NVIDEA GeForce 6800 256MB Graphics Card is my video card.

Your NVidia is supported (http://www.nvidia.es/object/linux_supported_es.html). You should be ok.

It is known that win2 slows down as time passes (due to registry issues among others). If you are not really curious/concerned about the free software world, perhaps a simple reinstall of xp could give you back the feeling of responsiveness it had (well, for a while). Because remember: linux is not windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm), as every change, it needs a bit of effort to get used to.

But if you are willing to take the plunge, chances are you'll get a lot of satisfaction.

In that case: It seems you're concerned about performance, so I'd not use the standard ubuntu 11.04 (with unity, pulse, compiz, etc, to be moved by a single core). Instead I'd go for Xubuntu 11.04 (http://www.xubuntu.org/), or perhaps better Lubuntu 11.04 (http://lubuntu.net/) (this one comes with google chrome by default, BTW).

Finally you ask about boot times. What about 19sec boot time, 4sec shutdown time, using LUbuntu in your pc? (no, I'm not kidding).

Cheers
JC

Bucky Ball
July 3rd, 2011, 12:28 AM
I have identical specs as you provide on my desktop which is running Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu, Xubuntu with no issues whatever. All 10.04 LTS (I only use the LTS releases on that box). Take your pick ... ;)