PDA

View Full Version : Recommended monitor for new build?

dmillerw
July 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM
So, I'm looking for a new monitor to replace my current one, an old, hulking CRT...

Any suggestions of good brands? Sizes? Things of that nature?

benc1213
July 2nd, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have always liked my ASUS monitor. It was cheap and a quality built. ASUS in general is a pretty good brand.

cgroza
July 2nd, 2011, 05:00 PM
Any CRT monitor.:p

mips
July 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Brand: Samsung
Size: 24" or bigger.

Paqman
July 2nd, 2011, 06:29 PM
Really depends what you want. Widescreen or standard? Do you need any particular size? What do you use the machine for? What's your budget?

del_diablo
July 2nd, 2011, 06:59 PM
Buy a FED monitor from some research team. It is CTR version 2.0, and so much better.

in-dust-rial
July 2nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
well i guess there are 2 viable solutions.
first.
go into a shappingmall and have a look at different brands there.
(go home and order via the internet or over the salesman you trust)

second.
spend hours on the internet and find out which panels are actually on the marked.
the brands often use panels from the same company, so the difference is most likely background light and electronics.
and the later most issues are often adressed in the panel discussions.

but i bought my panel in 2004. so there was only one panel at 22'' back then. so i only had to go for one with decent electronics ^^
(daily use and it still works: samsung - and as i see it it was one of the cheaper productions)

good luck

coolbrook
July 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
If I had to buy a monitor today, then it woud be 22" LED, lowest energy consumption possible, yet capable of a 1080 resolution.

Bandit
July 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
I have always liked my ASUS monitor. It was cheap and a quality built. ASUS in general is a pretty good brand.

I really agree, I have a 27"HD Asus LCD now (1920x1080) and love it. Even the 4 4watt speaker built in are clear and loud. Not to mention they look very very nice. They are also lower priced than many other brands, but built better IMHO.

Here is what mine looks like:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AjHF6kX1wlo/TciKngXQ86I/AAAAAAAABIc/5u15fSiuhl0/s912/pc1.png

Eiji Takanaka
July 3rd, 2011, 05:36 PM
"Everytime i look into a monitor prime my circuits sizzle, when are we gonna start bustin deceptichops!"

-Iron Hide-

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 03:31 AM
If you have an VGA >> HDMI converter, or plan to have an HDMI Connection (DisplayPort graphic cards usually come with a DP >> HDMI connector) i suggest the newest Samsung LED: 22 Inch, from Wal-Mart. Two HDMI Inputs, one antenna in, internal speakers just in case you don't need headphones.

It's what I plan to get to replace my 42 inch westinghouse LED. Will save a ton of money.

Bandit
July 4th, 2011, 03:36 AM
HDMI is the best way to go, DVI to HDMI being second.
I would watch out trying to use VGA cables on the HDMI monitor. Some will show pixle flickering which is annoying to look at and also gives you a headache. Not to mention there is the issue of overscaning with VGA cables that sometimes cant be set.

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 03:38 AM
HDMI is the best way to go, DVI to HDMI being second.
I would watch out trying to use VGA cables on the HDMI monitor. Some will show pixle flickering which is annoying to look at and also gives you a headache. Not to mention there is the issue of overscaning with VGA cables that sometimes cant be set.

This. However, some monitors / televisions have internal overscan abilities (My LCD Westinghouse 42 inch can manually overscan force on any input.)

You may prefer a television for more resolution options in the menus, such as 1:1, overscan, 16:9 (forced), etc.

1:1 setting makes it so that the input is forced to use its standard, default resolution (for compatibility.) (IE: if your broadcast television station uses 720p, using 1:1 un-stretches it.)

Bandit
July 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
This. However, some monitors / televisions have internal overscan abilities (My LCD Westinghouse 42 inch can manually overscan force on any input.)

That is good. My ASUS didnt. It sent some crazy vga to HDMI adapter and all my cables were vga to vga or DVI to DVI. After getting it up and running I was on new egg in no time getting a DVI to HDMI cable. Now that I actually have a newer video card I need a HDMI to HDMI to get my sould to push through.

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I'd go with an LED monitor if you could afford it, either a pair of 23" ones or something in the 27" range. Try to opt for support of DVI plus display port and hdmi. Well it'll be hard to get one without DVI, even my old 2002 LCD has a port. But try and get one with display port or hdmi too.

Lucradia
July 4th, 2011, 03:47 AM
That is good. My ASUS didnt. It sent some crazy vga to HDMI adapter and all my cables were vga to vga or DVI to DVI. After getting it up and running I was on new egg in no time getting a DVI to HDMI cable. Now that I actually have a newer video card I need a HDMI to HDMI to get my sould to push through.

I suggest looking out for more DisplayPort outputs from now on actually. The 6990 and the gtx 590 both have display port outputs (one comes with each and every input connection from display port.)

It'll be hard to find new monitors and teles with display ports yet though, it's not too popular yet.

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I suggest looking out for more DisplayPort outputs from now on actually. The 6990 and the gtx 590 both have display port outputs (one comes with each and every input connection from display port.)

It'll be hard to find new monitors and teles with display ports yet though, it's not too popular yet.
I need some monitors with display port-in. The 6990 has four outputs, mmmm...

BrokenKingpin
July 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
22-24" LCD... Samsung or LG are decent brands. If you find one that fits your budget just look up some reviews on it... even decent brands can put out a crap monitor once in a while.

For those of you with 27"+ monitors... don't you find them a little big? Having applications full screen on that would just be a waste of space, so unless you are using a tiling WM you would be constantly re-sizing windows. I think having two decent size LCDs would be a lot easier to work with. And if you are just using that big monitor for watching movies, then why wouldn't you just plug the PC into a full size HDTV?

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
22-24" LCD... Samsung or LG are decent brands. If you find one that fits your budget just look up some reviews on it... even decent brands can put out a crap monitor once in a while.

For those of you with 27"+ monitors... don't you find them a little big? Having applications full screen on that would just be a waste of space, so unless you are using a tiling WM you would be constantly re-sizing windows. I think having two decent size LCDs would be a lot easier to work with. And if you are just using that big monitor for watching movies, then why wouldn't you just plug the PC into a full size HDTV?
It's a bit big, therefore I am in fact using a tiling wm. Completely epic playing games though, extremely immersive.

Lucradia
July 5th, 2011, 10:00 AM
A note for people looking around at 22 inch to 24 inch monitors at big box stores: You may find a weird input known as SCART, which actually is a French brand input connection. Not sure why it would be on a USA Television.

mips
July 5th, 2011, 02:06 PM
A note for people looking around at 22 inch to 24 inch monitors at big box stores: You may find a weird input known as SCART, which actually is a French brand input connection. Not sure why it would be on a USA Television.

It's widely used in Europe (and some other places) but it's origins are French.