PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Triple boot x86 OSX+Win+Ubuntu problem

elfuego
July 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
I know there is a similarly named thread already, but my problem is a bit different. The question is, how to boot x86 OSX from GRUB with DSDT (boot stuff that OSX bootloader needs)?

In detail:
I already had Win7 and Ubuntu 10.04 running nicely with GRUB 2. I created a new partition, booted from x86 OSX, formated to hsf+ and installed OSX there. Updated Grub from LiveCD and voila - all three systems are there and bootable (dont u just love grub? :) ). But OSX boots in quasi-safe-mode (no boot-info drivers, EFI, DSDT etc).

Does anyone know how to correctly set up MAC OSX entry in GRUB so that its loaded up correctly? Thanks!

Quackers
July 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I used the directions below to chainload chameleon from grub.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/04/howto-chainload-grub2-into-chameleon.html

elfuego
July 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
I used the directions below to chainload chameleon from grub.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/04/howto-chainload-grub2-into-chameleon.html

Thanks that seems promising - I'll give it a try and post the result. BTW, I also found a cheap solution. Booting up from x86 OSX live CD, pressing F8 and selecting OSX :)

Quackers
July 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM
That method worked well for me. Check the whole thread out as there are changes recommended by Mike D (which is me :-) ) later in the thread with regard to what to edit. It works well and even allows for boot prompts to be entered, if desired.
I don't have OSX86 on here any more, so can't give any more specifics on that.

elfuego
July 3rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
And you were, of course, right about what you wrote. Its not only preferable, I even consider it necessary to write the

menuentry "Mac OS X Boot Loader" {
insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd0,1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set ca2159244a8b0fc3
parttool (hd0,1) boot+
chainloader (hd0,5)/boot/chameleon/boot0
}

in /etc/grub.d/40_custom . Thats also suggested by GRUB 2 doc. Lemme try now and see if I get this right.

For the sake of other people that may experience a similar problem and in case that the original blog fails some day, the whole solution is to:

sudo mkdir /boot/chameleon
cd /boot/chameleon

Copy the file boot0 (chameleon bootloader file) to that directory and add the custom entry (customized with your own UUID and partition information) displayed above.

elfuego
July 3rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
OK I tried the solution and hit the brick wall. OSX seems to start booting but prints out:

boot0: testing
boot0: error

After googling for the possible cause I've found out I messed up partitions and placed OSX on a logical partition instead of primary. This is what I did:
I had 2 major partitions, Win (with backup partitions) and Linux. Afterwards I resized ext4 with gparted I think and installed OSX on the cleared up space. The problem is, I didnt get the result I expected to get. Check the screenshot to see the mess.

Can anyone suggest a clean way to convert the logical osx partition to primary, or do I have to repartition the whole thing and reinstall again?

...or maybe some more editing of GRUB will help?

uRock
July 3rd, 2011, 08:35 PM
This activity is illegal and not supported on Ubuntu Forums.

Thread Closed