PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Accidentaly deleted desktop folder

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
On my Lubuntu desktop, I accidentaly deleted Desktop folder, and now I can't put anything on my desktop, and nothing is on my desktop. What should I do?

Another thing: While Googling I found out that Lubuntu should show me my home folder if I deleted desktop, but that didn't happen.

I need it today because I wont have network tomorrow. Please
Thanks in advance.

SteveDee
July 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM
On my Lubuntu desktop, I accidentaly deleted Desktop folder, and now I can't put anything on my desktop, and nothing is on my desktop....

Have you tried going to the trash can and recovering it?

If that does not work try opening the file manager (PcManFM), going to your user home folder (e.g. /home/steve) and then creating a new folder called "Desktop"

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
Have you tried going to the trash can and recovering it?

If that does not work try opening the file manager (PcManFM), going to your user home folder (e.g. /home/steve) and then creating a new folder called "Desktop"

Making folder desktop didn't work. I use Lubuntu in serbian so the folder was named Радна Површина, but that's probably not important. Afterall, I tried to copy&paste some folder to desktop (on desktop) and it said that I can't paste it there (/home/username/lator/) because it doesn't exist. Indeed, it doesn't exist.

Yes, and about recovering, no, I tried it before.

And why „lator“ as desktop?

SteveDee
July 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM
...I use Lubuntu in serbian so the folder was named Радна Површ, but that's probably not important.

The actual destop folder name may be very important, as the system my be looking for an exact match.
What about the rubbish bin, did you look in there for the deleted folder? (open PcManFM, "Rubbish" or the Serbian alternative should be listed in the left pane or side bar).

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 02:05 PM
The actual destop folder name may be very important, as the system my be looking for an exact match.
What about the rubbish bin, did you look in there for the deleted folder? (open PcManFM, "Rubbish" or the Serbian alternative should be listed in the left pane or side bar).

Yes, I did. I made a massive clean-up, and I then deleted everything from wastebasket. I made 2 directories: Radna Površ and Radna Površina (in cyrillic) because both can be „dektops“. None of them worked.

SteveDee
July 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
...both can be „dektops“. None of them worked.

You could try creating a 2nd user account, which I would expect to include a desktop folder. This should help confirm the exact spelling of "desktop" which you could then try with your main account.

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 02:40 PM
You could try creating a 2nd user account, which I would expect to include a desktop folder. This should help confirm the exact spelling of "desktop" which you could then try with your main account.

I did that (now), renamed to Radna površina (not Radna Površina) and still it doesn't work, it is still /home/biljana/lator

And logged out.

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Since Bosnian and Croatian are really similar to Serbian (they just add „j“ in some words) I will change to croatian. Lubuntu will ask me to rename my folders, and I will agree, and since desktop is now written well, it is logical to me that it will automaticaly recognize the desktop folder.

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Since Bosnian and Croatian are really similar to Serbian (they just add „j“ in some words) I will change to croatian. Lubuntu will ask me to rename my folders, and I will agree, and since desktop is now written well, it is logical to me that it will automaticaly recognize the desktop folder.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Weird. He didn't ask me to change name of folders. Weird...

TheStefan12345
July 2nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Edit ~/.config/user-dirs ???

Where says desktop type the location of desktop folder you want

That is the solution

SteveDee
July 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
There is a bit more info here: http://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM
...which may helps others with a similar problem.