PDA

View Full Version : What kind of literature do you prefer?

PCaddicted
July 2nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm not really a fanatic of literature, but I like reading adventure novels, mostly Jules Verne.

d3v1150m471c
July 2nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
I'm boring in comparison to most people. I refuse to read fiction because it's a tedious task with infinitesimal benefits, IMO. I read manuals, computer science, linux articles, and psychology for fun. See, I've become a robot :)

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm boring in comparison to most people. I refuse to read fiction because it's a tedious task with infinitesimal benefits, IMO. I read manuals, computer science, linux articles, and psychology for fun. See, I've become a robot :)

You, sir, are not the only one. Fiction bores me to tears because its lies fronted as "entertainment". The issue is too many people fantasize about junk rather than actually living life. I say, if there is nothing exciting going on, it is because you haven't pioneered the way.

d3v1150m471c
July 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Fiction bores me to tears because its lies fronted as "entertainment". The issue is too many people fantasize about junk rather than actually living life. I say, if there is nothing exciting going on, it is because you haven't pioneered the way.

LOL that is officially my new status message on yahoo messenger. love it!

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
LOL that is officially my new status message on yahoo messenger. love it!

I am in a creative mood this morning. To me there are three types of creativity, your opinion and perception of what you think is going on, what is actually going on, then rejecting what is going on, so you live in your own little world and make entertaining lies rather than trying to make life actually better. It is easier to write fiction, than to better the world around you. I am a fan of the first two because they are both honest. If you make a mistake because you were wrong, then hey, its alright you learned something. If you can just empty your own perceptions and get over yourself and just look at the world around you, then you achieved something only few of us strive and fight for. However, the sad reality of the matter is, 90% of the population falls into this third category. They are too lazy or afraid to embrace reality, and therefore never learn a thing, because they fill their minds with garbage. They live life oblivious and therefore allowed control of massive empires and giant companies like Apple and Microsoft as prime examples to control everything for them.

Those who sacrifice freedom for safety deserve neither. Those who refuse to see the truth and try to strive for a better world to live in don't deserve to be allowed. I suppose I wouldn't have such an opposed attitude to mindless self indulgence like good fictional works, if it wasn't so watered around, passed out to everyone to keep them mindless.

Do something, anything. Dare to believe in whatever (non-forum regulatory so therefore I can't mention it here) truth you want to perceive. Just do me a favor quit just standing around ingesting fictional trash only. Sure it is fun to read Harry Potter or whatever fan-based thing, or to watch a movie like Transformers once in a while. It sorely bothers me that people go to work, come home, entertain themselves with lies, go to sleep, rinse and repeat. Some people have families. Once the kids are raised and moved out, hey go live. Those without families, do something like invent a new Linux distro, start a non-profit organization to make the world a better place. Start a profiting organization, if you will, to make the world better. Spread truth, live life, teach others that life is bad but they can make it better. They can make a difference if only they put down the fantasy and just lived life.

My favorite quote (I wont mention the reference here, please don't argue about it, it is to make a point) The imagination of man is evil.
I think that speaks volumes. Like true evil is not living, better to live, try, and fail, having the experience, than to never have lived at all.

Bachstelze
July 2nd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Funny that you say you hate fiction but quote a work of fiction to make your point, hmm.

Nyromith
July 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
I like horror, Howard Lovecraft style.
And computer literature.

insane_alien
July 2nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
science fiction and horror mainly.

basically i'll read anything with a good story.

DoktorSeven
July 2nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
Fantasy here, but mostly just read technical stuff because I'm a huge geek.

aykoola
July 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
Salinger, Bukowski, Camus, Sartre, Doblin, Joyce, Beckett, Gogol', Chekhov, Andric, Calvino, /.../.

Barrucadu
July 2nd, 2011, 05:38 PM
I mostly read weird fiction, space opera, and high fantasy.

mips
July 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM
John Burdett
Jon Cleary
Colin Forbes
Lee Child
Wilbur Smith
Arthur C. Clarke
Greg Bear
etc
etc
etc

malspa
July 2nd, 2011, 06:31 PM
History, biographies, autobiographies, historical novels. I like anything along those lines. I don't read much science fiction anymore, but I did when I was younger.

Linuxratty
July 2nd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Science fiction and historical fiction.

cgroza
July 2nd, 2011, 08:39 PM
I like reading police novels.

TheSuperSteve
July 2nd, 2011, 09:56 PM
I don't read. I find it way too boring. I bought Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and i haven't even gotten past the first 3 pages.

haqking
July 2nd, 2011, 10:01 PM
forums ;-)

Bachstelze
July 2nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
I don't read. I find it way too boring. I bought Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and i haven't even gotten past the first 3 pages.

Well of course if you only read boring books... ;)

haqking
July 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM

Angels and Demons is fiction ? ;-)