PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help with instalation (im a noob)

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Hi, I burnt the 11.04 version onto a disk then rebooted the computer (windows XP) using wubi. It then came up with the boot up (loading) screen them went to a blank screen and gave me thees lines of code:
BusyBox v1.17.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.17.1-10ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)
I then used wubi to attempt to install it inside windows and gave me the error that i didn't have permission to install it and to look at this log (this isn't all)

Please help me to dual boot (without using too much technical language)

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Sorry this is what it came up with:

(initramfs)moun:mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs on //filesystem.squashfs

not

(initramfs)

Thanks

goldshirt9
July 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
dump wubi and just dual boot.

mörgæs
July 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

It seems like you are booting Ubuntu from a CD. Have you tried a USB stick?

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 09:26 AM
how do i dual boot?

goldshirt9
July 2nd, 2011, 09:29 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
looks hard but is quite easy

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM
Ive tried that but this is what it comes up with (when i start to boot it):

(initramfs)moun:mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: Input/output error
can not mount /dev/loop0 (cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs on //filesystem.squashfs

dino99
July 2nd, 2011, 09:59 AM
dont loose time with wubi, make a real install:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 10:02 AM
Sorry morgaes i didn't see your post. I can't use a usb because i dont hav any that i dont need or have enough space. Can i use the usb after i put 11.04 on there?

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 10:03 AM
To dino99 that makes no sense to me (im not that techy)

westie457
July 2nd, 2011, 10:19 AM

not

Thanks

Hi IMO you either have a bad burn of the .iso or a slightly corrupt .iso. Suggest you download again using torrent software EG vuze. Torrent downloads automatically check the file as it is downloading. Any errors are thrown away until you get a good copy. Saves the need to do a md5 checksum.

Then burn the cd at the slowest possible speed to eliminate any burn errors. Once that is done go for a dual boot system following this link http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download as posted by 'goldshirt9'.

Hope this helps and is not confusing.

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
I got my friend to download it, because my download plan is quite small, and he used utorrent to download it. Is there any way to tell me the size of the end file and how much more i need to download it?

mörgæs
July 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
Shrakmoose, now you have posted seven times in a few hours.

I suggest that you take your time to thoroughly investigate and test the suggestions that you have already received before posting more. Google is your friend.

shrakmoose
July 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM
Morgase can you tell me if I can still use a usb after it has ubuntu installed on it, if so ill test it out.

mörgæs
July 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
When you install Ubuntu to a USB stick, you delete all files in the process. Don't download a new ISO, as was suggested above.

After installing you can just delete Ubuntu from the stick and use it for normal storage.

Remember to have wired internet access while installing.

shrakmoose
July 3rd, 2011, 07:50 AM
Ive now installed ubuntu as a dual boot but now i cant access my windows XP. What can i do to fix this?