PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Disadvantage of V.10 over 11?

BackBONE7
July 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hi,

i just installed version 11.04 of Ubuntu, and i am really disapointed.
I don't like the Sidebar, and i miss the Menu-System like it was in Lynx.
And on top of that, i still have the same stupid bugs like before. (jumpy cursor with wacom-tablets, and sometimes the titlebars of windows are missing.)
Thus i want to either change the bar and panel behaviour of 11.04 or switch back to lynx.
The question is, are there any disadvantages of version 10 over 11 if i have the latest kernel installed?

coffeecat
July 2nd, 2011, 09:31 AM
You can run classic gnome in 11.04. At the login screen, enter your name but before you enter the password, choose the classic option at the bottom of the screen. Now enter your password and you will be taken to a desktop similar to that in 10.04.

Before you make a judgement as to whether you want to revert back to 10.04, try the Unity desktop occasionally (choose Ubuntu at login). There are many people, myself included, who disliked Unity at first but who now much prefer it. The first link in my sig may help you found your way around the interface.

puterg33k
July 2nd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Unity in 11 is completely awful, and unusable! (Opinion) /rant

However, I want to personally thank you for telling us how to go back to the old gnome :D

BackBONE7
July 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM
Unity in 11 is completely awful, and unusable! (Opinion) /rant

Well it's not all bad.
The Desktop-Switcher is nicely done. And the search function can be very handy, but it should be aditional to the usual menu.
Other than that i agree.

Switching to old style now. Thank's!

webspider
July 2nd, 2011, 07:17 PM
Well it's not all bad.
The Desktop-Switcher is nicely done. And the search function can be very handy, but it should be aditional to the usual menu.
Other than that i agree.

Switching to old style now. Thank's!

For the most part I like this new desktop. The one thing I truly hate though is the desktop switcher. I'd like the old switcher on the top status / date, time bar. Is there away to get the old one back?