PDA

View Full Version : Stop with VNC!!!

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
Ok VNC is a good resource, I use it to maintain servers from home. This in no way means I run those servers on my home computer. It also means all those devices that "run" Ubuntu via VNC are not running Ubuntu, they are running VNC with an Ubuntu machine loaded elsewhere. Ex. The Galaxy Tab "running" Ubuntu, when in reality it is Android running a VNC client loading Ubuntu.

Yawn... Snore..........

Wake me when these devices are hacked into actually running a full fledged Linux...

NovaAesa
July 2nd, 2011, 03:59 AM
Wake me when these devices are hacked into actually running a full fledged Linux...
Except then you lose all the advantages of accessing that computer remotely...

cariboo
July 2nd, 2011, 04:32 AM
Real men manage their server with ssh. :) :) :)

slooksterpsv
July 2nd, 2011, 04:33 AM
real men manage their server with ssh. :) :) :)

+1

Bandit
July 2nd, 2011, 05:56 AM

+1

LOL I wasnt going to say anything.. But yall let the cat out of the bag.

+2

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 2nd, 2011, 06:19 AM
The faster it turns the much.

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 07:53 AM

I use what they tell me to, I don't make the decisions lol. I just make sure that they are up, running, and backed up.

VNC is amazing, so is SSH, but to say that you are "running" Ubuntu on portable devices when in reality it is just VNC or SSH is a complete lie. Nobody cares outside of us nerds that it actually runs, and the ones who care are smart enough to figure out that it is a lie. It makes whoever did the work look like complete nubs with no real talent other than to write pointless blogs about "running Ubuntu on X device".

For those who don't understand VNC, everything is processed on the server end with only the remote client processing graphics and such telling the VNC server what to make the resolution. You might have the host OS process bluetooth and all your hardware, while in the client it just gives you an output of what the server is doing.

Therefore it is a ludicrous lie and to write a blog about it makes both the Linux community laugh and misinforms the general public on the prowess of Linux. It is worse than spreading FUD imho, because a lie is a lie. But to lie about doing unbelievable things and then when others try, they might ruin the device and blame Linux about how much crap it is. Quit wasting time writing blogs, and playing with VNC and do some real hacking.

Just my two cents on the matter.

d3v1150m471c
July 2nd, 2011, 07:58 AM
+1, with key authentication and iptables chains to eliminate bruteforce attacks

juancarlospaco
July 2nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
+1, with key authentication and iptables chains to eliminate bruteforce attacks

+1, With Port-Knocking of course.

d3v1150m471c
July 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM
+1, With Port-Knocking of course.
hawt :) and a large cup of coffee

cariboo
July 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
@christopher.wortman, just to let you know, it is possible to run Ubuntu/Unity on arm powered devices. See this:

http://asac.ws/post/7115191193/this-is-just-hot-linaro-11-06-release-features-unity

Thanks to our friends at Linaro

wolfen69
July 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM

Rub it in much? ;)

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
@christopher.wortman, just to let you know, it is possible to run Ubuntu/Unity on arm powered devices. See this:

http://asac.ws/post/7115191193/this-is-just-hot-linaro-11-06-release-features-unity

Thanks to our friends at Linaro

See now there is something I can sink my teeth into. I might hack my old Verizon flavored Galazy S phone (long since deactivated). I really want to see real hacks not read some promising title only to find out it is a VNC trick done by script kiddies.

And really to all those people who go on and on and on about how SSH is better, as I said before, I don't make the decisions. I get paid to defrag the Windows machines, make backups of the files stored on the file-server once a week, make sure the servers (running RHEL) are all working properly. It is nice to be able to work from my living room with VNC rather than drive a half hour to work every night. IF I had the decision making power I would switch everything to SSH, however, because I am only low level IT, I don't get to make those decisions.

So with all due respect, I don't care if SSH came knocking on my door promising me flowers and cake, I can't use it. It is off-topic anyhow.

NovaAesa
July 2nd, 2011, 10:45 AM
but to say that you are "running" Ubuntu on portable devices when in reality it is just VNC or SSH is a complete lie.So who's saying that exactly? I agree that it's a complete lie (although a lie probably based on misconception rather than malcontent). Link?

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
So who's saying that exactly? I agree that it's a complete lie (although a lie probably based on misconception rather than malcontent). Link?

http://www.everythingandroid.org/heres-ubuntu-running-on-a-galaxy-tab/2011/06/30/

I see these things all the time at random intervals. People claiming to have Linux running on X device like on the iPhone a while back, but it was found to be VNC. I can't find it anymore.

cgroza
July 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
real men manage their server with ssh. :) :) :)
+1

Barrucadu
July 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
VNC for servers? As in, having a GUI on a server? Ew :P

cariboo
July 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
Redhat servers do have a gui installed. You don't have to use it though.

markp1989
July 2nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Ok VNC is a good resource, I use it to maintain servers from home. This in no way means I run those servers on my home computer. It also means all those devices that "run" Ubuntu via VNC are not running Ubuntu, they are running VNC with an Ubuntu machine loaded elsewhere. Ex. The Galaxy Tab "running" Ubuntu, when in reality it is Android running a VNC client loading Ubuntu.

Yawn... Snore..........

I saw some online a while ago running Ubuntu on the G1(or nexus one) where it was running ubuntu on the mobile using some form on chroot then using VNC to view it.

it was running on the phones hardware but couldn't be booted stand alone due to boot loader issues.

I think thats whats happening on the video you linked, as he mentioned linux chroot and "local host" VNC.

PhillyPhil
July 3rd, 2011, 01:28 AM
Well, to be fair Ubuntu is actually running on the tablet itself, and he's VNCing from the tablet to the tablet.

I agree that the video is silly, but for entirely different reasons: for Ubuntu to be reasonably usable on a tablet you need a mouse and keyboard.
Hmm, if only someone would combine a 10" screen, keyboard, and mouse into one piece of hardware! That would be the ultimate computing device...;)

Bandit
July 3rd, 2011, 01:44 AM
VNC for servers? As in, having a GUI on a server? Ew :P
Dont guess you ever tried to run multiple virtual servers before off one computer. Mind you if you are running single application server, then you dont need a GUI and better to not have one and save resources. But if you running multiple independent servers via VBox or what not, then you got no choice but to run a GUI. More cases then not, it a large corperation your going to have a load balancing beowulf style cluster server serving up many multiple application via VM independent of each other to save on resources and get the most out of your money. :)

Redhat servers do have a gui installed. You don't have to use it though.

True it does.

Barrucadu
July 3rd, 2011, 04:51 AM
But if you running multiple independent servers via VBox or what not, then you got no choice but to run a GUI.

Not necessarily, you could SSH into the virtual machines.

Bandit
July 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM
Not necessarily, you could SSH into the virtual machines.

Who said they was all running Linux?

CharlesA
July 3rd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Who said they was all running Linux?
Valid point. :)

If they are running Windows, you can just start it headless and use RDP to connect instead of having the VM running on the GUI of the physical server.