PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 11.04 stuck in Classic mode

bratas1
July 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
Ok not sure what is up or how to get it back, the desktop is stuck in classic mode. I want to continue testing with Unity, i think the classic mode is like gnome.

i was/am considering switching all my home systems to Ubuntu and want to see if the wife can get accustom to Linux.

New user btw, so please bare with me.

FYI I think the wife can get used to Unity since it reminds her of an Android

steinerd
July 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
Log out of your current session. At the login screen select your username then, at the bottom of the screen select the ubuntu desktop.

Hope this helped.

haqking
July 2nd, 2011, 01:42 AM
classic is Gnome, and so is Ubuntu Desktop, Unity is just a shell which sits on top of Gnome.

you can change it from login screen at the bottom.

bratas1
July 2nd, 2011, 01:45 AM
i have tried that alrdy it stays like it is selected for classic

haqking
July 2nd, 2011, 01:52 AM
I am not actually using Unity anymore and am back to 10.10

however try this from terminal:

unity &> /dev/null & disown

wildmanne39
July 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
Ok not sure what is up or how to get it back, the desktop is stuck in classic mode. I want to continue testing with Unity, i think the classic mode is like gnome.

i was/am considering switching all my home systems to Ubuntu and want to see if the wife can get accustom to Linux.

New user btw, so please bare with me.

FYI I think the wife can get used to Unity since it reminds her of an Android
Hi, if you were running unity it sounds like you had an update to your video driver, I would check that and if it was updated, go back to using the older driver. If you have not run unity at all put this command in a terminal

/usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
and post the outcome here by clicking on new reply and click # and paste the information between the brackets.

bratas1
July 2nd, 2011, 06:47 AM
i ended up just re-installing