PDA

View Full Version : Hulu up for bids, Google or Microsoft?

sdowney717
July 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM
I hope Google gets them.
If MS gets HULU, they might force silverlight on it.
plus likely the monthly fees will escalate.

Ric_NYC
July 2nd, 2011, 12:57 AM
I want my favorite cereal to have a Google or Microsot logo on it... The same to my favorite beer... my favorite coockies... I think everythig should be owned by those 2 companies... and Apple of course.

Alwimo
July 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
Hulu is on the PlayStation 3, so Microsoft buying it would be a problem with that.

Although Skype is on the PSP and I don't know what Microsoft buying that will mean anything.

lisati
July 2nd, 2011, 01:05 AM
It wouldn't make that much of a difference to me, I don't use hulu.

Alwimo
July 2nd, 2011, 01:12 AM
Yeah, it's not available to us.

My first thought was that they might open it up to every country, but I know that's a different matter to do with licencing.

Bandit
July 2nd, 2011, 02:35 AM
I miss a lot of my TV shows during the week due to studying. So if it wasnt for Hulu I would never get to watch any of them, even if I have to wait 3 to 7 days behind the showing date.

haqking
July 2nd, 2011, 02:37 AM
I miss a lot of my TV shows during the week due to studying. So if it wasnt for Hulu I would never get to watch any of them, even if I have to wait 3 to 7 days behind the showing date.

Thats why piratebay and other similar sites are so popular then ;-)

I never miss a show ;-)

Bandit
July 2nd, 2011, 02:40 AM

I never miss a show ;-)

LOL cant confirm nor deny that I may use outside resources from time to time. But I prefer to play it safe when possible. :)

lovinglinux
July 2nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
Yeah, it's not available to us.

My first thought was that they might open it up to every country, but I know that's a different matter to do with licencing.

I hope Google gets it. Better chance of watching through Hulu outside US (although it will be hard anyway) and better chance of getting player Hulu with HTML5.

christopher.wortman
July 2nd, 2011, 02:50 AM

I never miss a show ;-)

+1

I am not entirely how sure I am of downloading TV shows that are generally free to you "paid for by advertising" is, however, Hulu has become unusable to me. 5 episodes at a time, +2 commercials per, I would rather watch my tele if I have to drone through commercials. If Google gets it you can rest assured you will see a lot of stuff become free, if MS gets it, its bye bye flash, which would make no difference to you or me lol.

Bandit
July 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
I hope Google gets it. Better chance of watching through Hulu outside US (although it will be hard anyway) and better chance of getting player Hulu with HTML5.

Indeed...

Zerocool Djx
July 2nd, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hulu don't impress me. If I use anything it's Netflicks. But I'd rather see Google pick it up if anything. Google TV is coming out soon, I bet there gonna come out swinging for this. It would be a smart move for Google to get it. If MS gets it I just see it being a waste.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
July 2nd, 2011, 06:34 AM
Hulu don't impress me. If I use anything it's Netflicks. But I'd rather see Google pick it up if anything. Google TV is coming out soon, I bet there gonna come out swinging for this. It would be a smart move for Google to get it. If MS gets it I just see it being a waste.

Hulu, used to be much much better than it is now. Netflix is better imo, but you have to pay for it so...

Legendary_Bibo
July 2nd, 2011, 06:58 AM
Microsoft because then they could combine it with Netflix to get the ultimate video experience.

Merk42
July 2nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Microsoft because then they could combine it with Netflix to get the ultimate video experience.But Microsoft doesn't own Netflix :confused:

forrestcupp
July 2nd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Hopefully whoever gets it will work out their crappy video streaming. I have a nettop that can play HD video just fine, but it can't play even low res Hulu vids in full screen without being choppy because they can't get their stuff together. The same nettop doesn't have any problem playing HD YouTube videos in full screen.

Allavona
July 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM
At 7.99 per month you can't go wrong with NetFlix. As for missing TV shows throughout the week, I have a DVR for that. That being said, I have used HULU before and found it rather nice. I am interested to see who picks it up.

DoktorSeven
July 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'd take Google over Microsoft any day of the week. Just saying.

inobe
July 3rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
i hope none of them purchase that junk, it's a failure and to purchase it would be a huge mistake.

PhillyPhil
July 3rd, 2011, 02:32 AM
I hope Google gets them.
If MS gets HULU, they might force silverlight on it.
plus likely the monthly fees will escalate.

Aren't MS in the process of moving *away* from silverlight? Pretty sure I read about that somewhere...

Primefalcon
July 3rd, 2011, 03:17 AM
Google I hope, I've actually dropped Skype because MS got it, and not just because of it being ms....

Already MS have kill support for a couple of devices (Linux prob wont be far behind), and not to mention the spy patent: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9218002/Microsoft_seeks_patent_for_spy_tech_for_Skype?taxo nomyId=15

I'm sorry but after that I very much hope they don't get Hulu

CraigPaleo
July 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
At 7.99 per month you can't go wrong with NetFlix. As for missing TV shows throughout the week, I have a DVR for that. That being said, I have used HULU before and found it rather nice. I am interested to see who picks it up.

Netflix mail or streaming? I wasn't aware Netflix could be streamed to Linux if that's what you meant.

Anyway, I thing Google would be the better candidate as they'd probably allow most of the world to see Hulu.

I believe the reason Hulu isn't available outside the U.S. is due to the ads. They don't want to waste bandwidth when their advertisers only pay for their market. That would have to be sorted but it could be done.

Spr0k3t
July 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM
If Hulu is anything like the failing business model I think it is, I really really hope MS picks it up so they can angle their own investments further towards an expanding debt. Also, Apple only has two out of seven markets that are even making any kind of profit... so if Hulu is a sinking ship, it's a coin toss between MS and Apple. If Hulu has potential though, I wouldn't mind seeing Google pick it up.

That said, I think I'll fund a kegger in hopes of getting the execs drunk enough to sign the papers over to me... if that happens, I'll make sure to GPL their entire IP.

sdowney717
July 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
Aren't MS in the process of moving *away* from silverlight? Pretty sure I read about that somewhere...

who really knows, this is from MS blog

http://team.silverlight.net/announcement/pdc-and-silverlight/

During the conference, I gave an interview where, among other things, I talked about the great work we’re doing with Silverlight – in particular, support for Windows Phone 7, which we featured heavily at the conference. The interview was accurately reported. I understand that what I said surprised people and caused controversy and confusion. As this certainly wasn’t my intent, I want to apologize for that. I’d like to use this post to expand on what I said, and talk about the very important role Silverlight has going forward.

In the interview, I said several things that I want to emphasize:

Silverlight is very important and strategic to Microsoft.
We’re working hard on the next release of Silverlight, and it will continue to be cross-browser and cross-platform, and run on Windows and Mac.
Silverlight is a core application development platform for Windows, and it’s the development platform for Windows Phone.

Gremlinzzz
July 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I bid one dollar!
Well i tried:)

lovinglinux
July 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
If Hulu is anything like the failing business model I think it is, I really really hope MS picks it up so they can angle their own investments further towards an expanding debt. Also, Apple only has two out of seven markets that are even making any kind of profit... so if Hulu is a sinking ship, it's a coin toss between MS and Apple. If Hulu has potential though, I wouldn't mind seeing Google pick it up.

That said, I think I'll fund a kegger in hopes of getting the execs drunk enough to sign the papers over to me... if that happens, I'll make sure to GPL their entire IP.

They should open it to the rest of the world, with paid subscription, and implement support for external subtitles. There will be millions of people around the world subscribing. I for one would, since the equivalent of NetFlix in my country has only a fraction of TV shows available there and mostly lagging behind in terms of seasons.

OldBoy44
July 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
They should open it to the rest of the world, with paid subscription, and implement support for external subtitles. There will be millions of people around the world subscribing. I for one would, since the equivalent of NetFlix in my country has only a fraction of TV shows available there and mostly lagging behind in terms of seasons.
+1

I'd like to see it go to google! :)

Spr0k3t
July 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM

I would love to see that happen. The problem is the networks in america are an extension of the MAFIA (Media And Film Industry of America) and will knock out the kneecaps of anyone looking to make a smidge of a profit on shows they think are able to sell to foreign markets. Offer them a portion of the profit for being the forerunner of making such content available in alternate markets who have never seen such content before is all well and good, but they want 110% of the profit made from the distribution. The whole "You pay us for the content" sch-meal. It's one of the very reasons why Netflix is having such a hard time offering more TV shows to foreign markets.

Dustin2128
July 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
Silverlight, continue to be cross platform? Hardy har har.

Spr0k3t
July 3rd, 2011, 11:51 PM
Silverlight, continue to be cross platform? Hardy har har.

According to MS, the only other Operating System out there is OSX.

Dustin2128
July 4th, 2011, 12:07 AM
According to MS, the only other Operating System out there is OSX.
Just as, according to apple, windows is the only other operating system out there. I scratch your back you scratch mine, eh?

inobe
July 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
it will probably be google making the mistake considering hulu has no content to protect, unlike hulu, netflix has a huge database worthy of DRM.

edit: then again, why would they want that junk when they have their own tv?

http://www.google.com/tv/getit.html

microsoft DRM and silverlight would only protect rubbish tv shows and movies anyone can watch on other sites, other sites for example have far better content and they are free!

a hulu plus subscription is asinine with the content they provide.