PDA

View Full Version : Serious question : What is considered spam?

Dangertux
July 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
In light of a fellow user's post. I have begun to wonder. What is considered spam?

The user in question may tell their story if they wish but I'm not going to out them. I am sure moderators of this forum and administrators will be familiar with the incident.

However, the so called "spam post" was deemed.

...unsolicited and unrelated to linux...
So who makes the determination, and on what basis that a post is unsolicited? I ask you all to refer to this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792019

One could consider that unsolicited , minus the fact that it was created by a member of the forum staff. Which in and of itself is a little disturbing. So we've identified that it could be considered unsolicited , now let's determine it's validity in relation to linux. I don't think we particularly have to be a Linux Zen Master to see that cute cat pictures while entertaining have no educational value whatsoever in relation to Linux.

Let's look at possible other reasons that the post could have been removed. The first one that comes to my mind is that the associated link was an advertisement, in this particular case it was not. There was no ability to purchase anything nor did the poster request anyone to. So maybe it is because the post had the potential to bog down the site's database? I don't think it was that since it was a plain text post with a singular link. Which in comparison to a post full of cat pictures, uses a negligible amount of server resources.

I am left with the overwhelming feeling of a double standard here, I am desperately hoping that this is just a misunderstanding. I really like this community, however if there is a double standard and or blatant censorship I will choose not to be a part of it.

That being said this is a request for an honest answer in a public manner. This was not posted to initiate a flame war, so please don't take it there. However, I would love to hear other user's opinions as well as administrative input on posed questions.

Thanks for your time

haqking
July 1st, 2011, 09:40 PM
In light of a fellow user's post. I have begun to wonder. What is considered spam?

The user in question may tell their story if they wish but I'm not going to out them. I am sure moderators of this forum and administrators will be familiar with the incident.

However, the so called "spam post" was deemed.

So who makes the determination, and on what basis that a post is unsolicited? I ask you all to refer to this thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1792019

One could consider that unsolicited , minus the fact that it was created by a member of the forum staff. Which in and of itself is a little disturbing. So we've identified that it could be considered unsolicited , now let's determine it's validity in relation to linux. I don't think we particularly have to be a Linux Zen Master to see that cute cat pictures while entertaining have no educational value whatsoever in relation to Linux.

Let's look at possible other reasons that the post could have been removed. The first one that comes to my mind is that the associated link was an advertisement, in this particular case it was not. There was no ability to purchase anything nor did the poster request anyone to. So maybe it is because the post had the potential to bog down the site's database? I don't think it was that since it was a plain text post with a singular link. Which in comparison to a post full of cat pictures, uses a negligible amount of server resources.

I am left with the overwhelming feeling of a double standard here, I am desperately hoping that this is just a misunderstanding. I really like this community, however if there is a double standard and or blatant censorship I will choose not to be a part of it.

That being said this is a request for an honest answer in a public manner. This was not posted to insinuate a flame war, so please don't take it there. However, I would love to hear other user's opinions as well as administrative input on posed questions.

Thanks for your time

ha that is so funny.

I too read the resolution centre and wandered the exact same thing and many threads and posts, links etc sprang to mind. Lolcats being one of them.

Well said.

I guess it is like anything, it is what it is and aint much we can do about it ;-)

Dry Lips
July 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM
I'm one of those members who on occasions have reported genuine spam, but I would like to add that I support the OP in that the COC isn't very specific when it comes to defining spam, and it would be difficult to know that threads like the one alluded here, are unwanted here simply by reading the COC.

Spam (unsolicited advertising): Spam will be moved to Spamalot in the forum Jail and the account posting it will likely be banned. You are allowed to have links to personal sites in your signature and in your profile, and may post them in threads on occasion (just not often, please) as long as the content of the site linked does not include material that violates this code of conduct and if you are not posting any other form of advertising.
If these kind of threads isn't wanted here,- then fair enough -, but wouldn't it then be a good idea to update the COC, so it'll be clear to all that “spam” on this forum means more than to post advertisements?

I'm not sure that I agree that there are double standards here. I'd rather say that there is a bit
of under-communication regarding this issue. The COC could be more explicit.

haqking
July 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I know it is not SPAM, but if we can have threads about what coffee we like, oreos with breast milk, eating dried noodles, what pants to wear cause too hot etc etc then surely the COC needs to be more clear and more genuine posts (not real SPAM) could continue.

What are youtube video posts ? not relating to linux etc ?

COC needs to be clearer and more specific

OldBoy44
July 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
ha that is so funny.

I too read the resolution centre and wandered the exact same thing and many threads and posts, links etc sprang to mind. Lolcats being one of them.

Well said.

I guess it is like anything, it is what it is and aint much we can do about it ;-)

The point is - do we want to do anything about it? or not? :)

Elfy
July 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Closed - if you have an issue with staff actions the place to take it is the resolution centre.