PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation suggestions (for devs)

twipley
July 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hello developers,

First off, I would like to note how much I like Ubuntu. I have been following the scene for quite a few years, but had never tried Linux before the past week or so. So far it is working great for me, and I already am feeling at home. I still am having XP installed over there because there are some games I like to play with my nephew now and then, but as soon as I get to emulate or vitualize them right I am ditching Windows out of the window.

There is just an handful of things I would like to note about how my installation went, and general thoughts about installation suggestions. Keep in mind those are just my own opinion, which may tend to be not so educated and versed in the domain at times.

Here I go:

1) it would be nice to have the option to choose the size of the file-system partition before installation. I know there are advanced options there, but I had not the required knowledge to do so through there. What I had been looking for is a simple "desired partition size" input prompt;

2) there is this nice offline dictionary for Ubuntu, called "Artha." It is similar to WordWeb v5.52 for XP, and both are based on WordNet, developed by the Princeton university, and gave off as free (BSD) software. I thought, "hey, that would be nice to have as bundled software for future releases of Ubuntu." Well, I admit the "rare" and "common" word tags are ugly, but I have contacted the author for his or her input concerning their feeling about that. But, what do you think about that being bundled?;

3) upon installing, there are two ticks at the bottom. Would adding p7zip-rar proprietary software alongside the other such software be a good idea? Would most users benefit from that? That might be the question;

4) why not add automatic Adblock-Plus installation there, alongside Flash, while we are at it? But that might render the web no place to get revenue for website developers, is not it? Probably a bad idea. What do you think?

5) why not add another tick on that page, just below the "download updates while installing" tickbox, saying "apply updates after their downloading?" That might save desiring users some time for their installation, and allow them to benefit from a more-automated installation;

6) this one is not about the installation process at all, but just a wondering of mine on the reason why mounted ISOs of downloaded videos refuse to seek upon playing through the default media player? I mean, if they are extracted to a folder before playing, they all seek correctly, but if they are played directly through the mounted ISO, then one is not able to forward or to go backwards in time. I just am curious for the reason why that is. Probably a known issue. Sorry for the lack of searching.

Please input your own thoughts about those numbers. It is not required for you to agree. Just be polite. Normal etiquette. Nothing new, of course.

oldos2er
July 1st, 2011, 11:45 PM
I doubt if the devs have time to read the forums here. A better place to submit your ideas is http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

twipley
July 2nd, 2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the link.

I duly have routed those all towards (hopefully) more adequate spheres.