PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I shouldn't have done it... :o)

Xswitch
July 1st, 2011, 04:26 PM
Hi Everybody... I upgraded my sweet running ubuntu 10, and am now regretting every minute of it... So I have some questions...

1. Is there like a restore button that will put your system back to the way it was before you screwed it up? :p ... Something like an "undo" upgrade button would be nice... :lolflag:

2. After doing some reading on how to fix my problem, I found this:

ruru, if you save your /etc/apt directory to a USB flash drive, then do a fresh install, then copy the /etc/apt directory from the flash drive to the root partition of the fresh install, then you should be good to go.

Edit: You may need to open a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and run

sudo apt-get update
to make the fresh install aware of the packages available).

I upgraded from 10.x to 11.04. Can I do this and not have to install ALL of my apps manually? Can I just reinstall 10.x, copy the above dir to the fresh 10.x install and be ok?

Thanks all...

dino99
July 1st, 2011, 04:43 PM
something is not clear : you never have to reinstall your apps if you have a separate /home where your apps config & settings are & all the private data

but there is no "undo" in real world :)

what is wrong with your upgrade ? Look & feel ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

akand074
July 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
You can't revert an upgrade. I believe you'll have to do a clean install. 11.04 not running well? As in the upgrade caused some breakage?

Xswitch
July 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
something is not clear : you never have to reinstall your apps if you have a separate /home where your apps config & settings are & all the private data

but there is no "undo" in real world :)

what is wrong with your upgrade ? Look & feel ?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

Thanks dino99... Here's my HDD setup:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 83G 4.4G 74G 6% /
none 4.0G 732K 4.0G 1% /dev
none 4.0G 2.7M 4.0G 1% /dev/shm
none 4.0G 92K 4.0G 1% /var/run
none 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /var/lock
/dev/sdb1 459G 45G 391G 11% /home

The entire sdb1 is designated as my /home. Based on this info, can I just reinstall 10.10 on sda2? Should be ok right?

Don't like 11.04 at this point... I'll install in a vm and play, (which is what I should have done in the 1st fat place... :lolflag: )

Also, I think last time I installed 32bit. Should I install 64bit, or leave that alone... I heard 64bit was problematic...

Thanks akand074... I think I just need to work with it in a separate environment first... not on my main system...

Xswitch
July 3rd, 2011, 04:36 PM
Reinstalled 10.10... added line to fstab /dev/sdb1 /home ext4

Some apps did not show or run correctly... Just reinstalled them and all is now well with my world... :)

Sef
July 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
You can't revert an upgrade. I believe you'll have to do a clean install.

That is correct.