PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replace Unity dock with different one

Analog_Connections
July 1st, 2011, 04:31 AM
I have a netbook and love the new Gnome panel that Unity uses. However, don't like the dock and I want to replace it with another one (AWN, GLX-Dock, etc). I don't want to use Ubuntu Classic with a dock because I like how Unity combines the windows controls, title bar and 'File/Find/View' things into one streamlined panel and it really frees up some limited screen real estate.

I looked at the Unity plugin options in CCSM and didn't see an option to disable the dock and still keep everything else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

wildmanne39
July 1st, 2011, 05:55 AM
I have a netbook and love the new Gnome panel that Unity uses. However, don't like the dock and I want to replace it with another one (AWN, GLX-Dock, etc). I don't want to use Ubuntu Classic with a dock because I like how Unity combines the windows controls, title bar and 'File/Find/View' things into one streamlined panel and it really frees up some limited screen real estate.

I looked at the Unity plugin options in CCSM and didn't see an option to disable the dock and still keep everything else. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hi, there is not a perfect way to do it,but I followed this set of instructions it stays hidden almost all the time it will only open when I hit the super key or move my mouse all the way to the top left screen. ) In the Unity plugin, set Reveal to Auto hide and the Reveal edge to None or Disabled. Screenshot shows that the edges are disabled so that it will not open ,you can tell because all around the little window it is in red, if it was set to open when the mouse was moved to the edge it would be in green. You do have to have ccsm installed to change unity plugin settings.
I am including a screenshot. I also discovered I can put my awn dock on the left of the screen right on top of the unity dock if I want to, however as far as I know you can not remove it.

Analog_Connections
July 1st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks, but I think I will go with a set up like the one in the GLX-Dock demo video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voco3Kj1Fxo&feature=player_embedded). I'll use normal Gnome, with a dock at the bottom for commonly used programs and folders; and open windows. I'll have a dock at top right for the clock, system tray and the applications menu. Both will be set to auto hide behind windows so I'll still have a not of screen real-estate, but I can easily access programs and menus by moving my mouse the the correct part of the screen.