PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] When I set CompizConfig to cycle wallpapers nothing happens.

Nitrozzy7
July 1st, 2011, 03:18 AM
I've set all the wallpapers I want to cycle, I've set the time to 15 sec checked the "Cycle" box but nothing happens. The background stays the same. Log in-out didn't work.
I'm on Ubuntu Classic

nzjethro
July 1st, 2011, 03:57 AM
Have you stopped Nautilus from drawing the background?

Try

sudo gconf-editor /apps/nautilus/preferences/show-desktop

then deselect the "Show Desktop" box. There's a full command for it, but I can't remember it.

EDIT: found the command. It is:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false

Nitrozzy7
July 1st, 2011, 04:37 AM
worked but I can't see the desktop icons. I think I'll work around it but I want to know if I can make them appear again.

nzjethro
July 1st, 2011, 05:19 AM
Ah yes, perhaps I should have mentioned that that would be a side effect. :)

Nautilus won't draw icons onto what it believes is a "non-existent" desktop, so you can't have both Compiz wallpapers and desktop icons at the same time.

I got around it by having a dock (I used Talika, but there are plenty of others out there). You can still access the files and folders (and even shortcuts) on your desktop if you navigate to the desktop either in your file manager or on a terminal:

cd ~/Desktop

Nitrozzy7
July 1st, 2011, 11:16 AM
Isn't there a way to have both? I'm not necessarily mean to combine them. What I'm saying is if there's a way to customise the cycle and the wallpapers that appear under "change desktop background". I've seen some pre installed space-themed wallpaper cycles.
By the way; How to enable .gif animations as background?

Nitrozzy7
July 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
Nevermind! I downloaded "DesktopNova" and I switched back the values to

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop true

Works just I wanted to.
Thunx!

nzjethro
July 3rd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Cool, DesktopNova looks interesting, I may have to have a play around with it. Glad you got it behaving how you wanted.