PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Favourite Backup Suite

markymark64
July 1st, 2011, 12:12 AM
Does everyone here have a favourite backup suite that you're using for Ubuntu? I've tried several but I'm looking for something that does require me to wipe an external hard drive like clonezilla. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciates because my hard drive has been coming up with a scan notification almost every time I boot up with Ubuntu. I've checked the drive in the past but have never liked the hard drive that Ubuntu is currently installed on. I'll like to back up everything just in case. :)

nzjethro
July 1st, 2011, 04:12 AM
If you have a bit of HDD space (on an external or something), and you want to do a full backup, check out this HOWTO (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35087), written by the forums' Heliode. It shows you how to create a compressed tarball of your files (just the ones you choose, or the whole lot), which can be stored as a file on an external without having to clear the HDD. The only downside is that it either takes a lot of room (if you go low compression), or a lot of time (if you have high compression).

markymark64
July 1st, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thanks Jethro, that'll work m8. I have a partition with nothing on it that I've yet to merge with my current partition that has 280 GB of space and what I'm using for ubuntu isn't even 1/4 th of that.

Cheers,

Mark

nzjethro
July 1st, 2011, 05:22 AM
Awesome, that should be heaps of room. My .tgz came out at just over 40GB, and that was for full backup of all my system files, plus pictures, music, documents, and some short movies. That was using the lower compression too, so that value could come down if you needed it to.

If that's all you were after, could you please mark this thread as solved? Instructions are in my signature. Cheers. :D

markymark64
July 1st, 2011, 05:28 AM
Hey Jethro, I see you're in NZ. Very cool m8. I've been looking at property on Waiheke Island and thinking about moving there with my boys. Looks like it's a great place and is close enough to Auckland for me to finish up my acting studies.

Cheers,

Mark

nzjethro
July 1st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Oh yeah, Waiheke's lovely. I've been working on a thesis about water management over there, complete with obligatory field trips, which have always been a nice way to spend a day or two. ;)

markymark64
July 1st, 2011, 05:47 AM
That's awesome Jethro. I've actually been dealing with a company that installed rooftop devices that pull H20 from thin air and the process it through an R.O. System before it enters the house. In the warm months it can produce up to 120 gallons a day, which would make my life perfect since I'm told there is no conventional water hookup. This is fine though since I am very opposed to water fluoridation and I know a lot of cities in NZ on the North and South Islands are fluoridated. However, that is changing thanks to education of the people and support from fluoridealert.org.

Cheers,

Mark