PDA

View Full Version : Blog/Website advice

1992kris
June 30th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hi guys.

I've recently started a Linux blog/website just as a hobby, something to do in my spare time and I really like it. However I'd like to increase it's popularity but I don't know how to let people know about it. Just looking for any advice really. Thanks!

magmon
June 30th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Put link in siggy... LIKE A BOSS.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
June 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Hi guys.

I've recently started a Linux blog/website just as a hobby, something to do in my spare time and I really like it. However I'd like to increase it's popularity but I don't know how to let people know about it. Just looking for any advice really. Thanks!

Hi. I recommend posting often. Google loves blogs that are constantly updated. Look into creating sitemaps and submitting them to the various search engines. This will increase your visibility. In addition, useful content is obviously a must for a successful website. (Nobody is going to go to your site if they can get the information easier someplace else). In addition, if you can get other websites to link to your site, this will have a big impact on your search engine visibility. Use valid xhtml/html to insure that your page looks good in every browser.

Perhaps most importantly, enjoy the process. The website in my signature was built by me from the ground up, as a learning process. Even though I don't get a lot of visitors on my site, it serves as a place that employers can learn about me. In addition I've learned quite a bit about web design from maintaining it. I'm still pretty new to web development, but I already appreciate what I've learned.

Dangertux
June 30th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Feedburner

Make sure you're pinging technorati and anything else that can be pinged.

Add social media buttons fb like tweet digg etc.

Use your tags wisely.