PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard with good Linux support

ember
March 3rd, 2005, 11:24 PM
Hi,

as written down in the hardware-forum, I killed my sound this evening. However I never really had too much love for the integrated Nvidia solution.

I have an Soundblaster Live 5.1 Player card in my older computer, which I could use, yet I believe it doesn't have hardware-mixing capabilities.

Can anyone recommend a good and affordable (<70 Euros) soundcard with good linux support and hardware-mixing capabilites?

Nis
March 3rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
About a year ago I got an Aureal Advantage for around $12 (not sure how much that is in Euros); $5 for the card and $7 for shipping. It works great under Linux and has hardware mixing. I haven't had any problems. I apologize that I can't remember the site I ordered it from but this is a good card to look for.

Dylanby
March 4th, 2005, 02:46 AM
I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1
I bought the oem version for about $70.00 CAD. These cards have great sound (if you don't need EAX) & make a nice change from Creative crap.

TravisNewman
March 4th, 2005, 03:21 AM
I still REALLY like Aureal cards. I've always thought their sound quality was better than Creative, and the Spatializer on the Vortex I had was fantastic! I only bought the SbLive! because of the surround sound capability (though not 5.1 surround, unfortunately).

Along those lines, and THESE lines (Linux sound card support), I have a VIA AC97 chipset onboard that I disabled entirely when I switched to using Linux full-time, BECAUSE the onboard sound has output, mic, and input, but using software provided by VIA, you can set those to be front, back, and center. I'd LIKE to do that, so I can free up a pci slot for more USB ports, but I gotta have my surround sound ;) Anyone know how to do this? I haven't found anything other than whether or not it works at all (which it does, I know), but nothing about how to enable 5.1.

ember
March 4th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks, I just looked into the proposals - I really would have liked one of those M-Audio Cards, but they are above my limits (unless I would stop to eat for two weaks ;))

Aureal is dead unfortunately (bought by Creative *hmpf*), but I'll see, if I can find one of their cards at ebay.

It's really a bit annoying that nearly every consumer audio card seems to come from Creative these days.

dolson
March 4th, 2005, 10:00 AM
What exactly do you mean by hardware-mixing? I feel stupid asking this, being that I use a Live! 5.1 card to record all of my music... I should know this. :)

ember
March 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM
With hardware mixing I meant the ability to play several sounds at the same time without the help of esd or alsa dmix.

dolson
March 4th, 2005, 02:49 PM
With hardware mixing I meant the ability to play several sounds at the same time without the help of esd or alsa dmix.
I thought that you could do that with the SB Live? I don't really know what Alsa Dmix is, but I could always do things with my Live that I could do with other cards. Is there a way to tell if my card is using Alsa Dmix or whatever?

WillCooke
March 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
I thought that you could do that with the SB Live? I don't really know what Alsa Dmix is, but I could always do things with my Live that I could do with other cards. Is there a way to tell if my card is using Alsa Dmix or whatever?
Likewise, my SB Live (emu10k chipset) works really well under ALSA. I've never had any problems playing two sounds at once etc, and under debian I certainly wasn't running esd. I don't know if I am now or not, I've never bothered to look.

The SB Live, for me, is good value, at about 18 GBP for a SB Live 24.

If all your'e doing is playing MP3's etc I would say this would be fine.

illek
March 4th, 2005, 08:06 PM
http://www.pricewatch.com/2/202/2511-1.htm

Make sure you get the au8830 chip set, not the 8810 or 8820.

Shadowmeph
March 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
ok I know this is a really old post but I am almost finished with My computer build and am wanting to use a decent all around sound card instead of the 7.1 0nboard sound I will be running both Linux Ubuntu and WIndows what suggestions do you have , I also heard something about the card should have "HD audio header" ( I am not sure what that is) this computer will be both a 40%Gaming and for 58% watcing movies any help/suggestions would be appreciated