PDA

View Full Version : Article about Linux (Ubuntu) on CNET

tumbes2000
June 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Here is a brief article about the Cnet cheapstake guy using Ubuntu

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-20075729-58/tired-of-paying-for-windows-try-linux-instead/?tag=cnetRiver

ScionicSpectre
June 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM
That's a very nice general opinion to hear from a long-time, embedded Windows user, honestly. I think more people should take the approach of, "I might need Windows for something, but Linux could be awesome in its own right, and I might as well give it a quick try, or use it occasionally."

It's good to hear 'techy' Windows guys talk about how refreshing Linux can be on a site like that. Then again, a lot of us on these forums were at one point 'Windows guys', so I guess it's not all that surprising.

:3 Thanks for the plug, Rick.

tumbes2000
June 30th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I found the article to be pretty fair and overall pretty good for the Ubuntu community. However it does not help that the third or so comment was really wanting to trash Unity more than give some positive feedback to the writer.

ScionicSpectre
June 30th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hah, it's good to note that Unity isn't Linux. Choice is important now more than ever, since the people who Unity and GNOME 3 are tailored for can have it happily, and everyone else can look at alternatives and keep their workflow/look and feel.

But yeah, it doesn't help that people like that are trashing things in response to such a light-hearted post, but most new Ubuntu users probably won't be understanding what Unity is to begin with. People who either don't try it or derail it based on that kind of trolling probably aren't worth the worry, honestly.

DLM955
June 30th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Over all that is a good article on ubuntu and I think people that have wanted to try it may dive in.
As far as the people bashing Unity did you notice they called it a desktop.it never was meant to be a desktop.It was designed to be used on the small screens of those netbooks 10 in diag ..
When are they going to learn this....o wait that's right they would if they would take the time to read.....
I tried it on my desktop and no I didn't like the look so gnome classic was chosen at startup as default...
but it rocks on my 14 in laptop screen

OldBoy44
July 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM
That's a very nice general opinion to hear from a long-time, embedded Windows user, honestly. I think more people should take the approach of, "I might need Windows for something, but Linux could be awesome in its own right, and I might as well give it a quick try, or use it occasionally."

It's good to hear 'techy' Windows guys talk about how refreshing Linux can be on a site like that. Then again, a lot of us on these forums were at one point 'Windows guys', so I guess it's not all that surprising.

:3 Thanks for the plug, Rick.

I must admit that I was a little surprised that so many of the comments were favorable! :)

lancest
July 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
I'm less and less surprised about favorable comments on Linux desktop these days.
Because I've used it so long with so much productive success.
Great OS, it's obvious the public is starting to notice- with the favorable reception of Android.