PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Run from CD

zeke1312
June 30th, 2011, 01:56 PM
New to Ubuntu. I'm trying to run Ubuntu from a CD before I attempt a full install. When I try to log onto Firefox it fails, then after a minute or two, my wireless router asks for authentication which I already given before my attempt to log onto Firefox. Ubuntu is "online" or appears to be because I can log off my router and Ubuntu shows I've logged off. Can you help? Thank you

mastablasta
June 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
When I try to log onto Firefox it fails,
there is no logging in to Firefox. you just start it and use it.

then after a minute or two, my wireless router asks for authentication which I already given before my attempt to log onto Firefox. Ubuntu is "online" or appears to be because I can log off my router and Ubuntu shows I've logged off. Can you help? Thank you

in network manager you need to click on it and find your network. then give it your authentication for the network. it might also ask you for additional password. i think this second one is to lock your network password on computer so you dont' have to type it in every time.

oh make sure you have propper type of access selected (WEP or more likely WEP2). and you should be good to go.

especially if your wi-fi card is working.

zeke1312
June 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Yes, I have done all that. I currently have a desktop,notebook and an android communicating to my router OK for many months. I'm trying the CD version (11.04) on the notebook. I had the full version running (10) on my desktop and communicating OK.

mrgs
June 30th, 2011, 06:22 PM
How does it run if you use wired internet connection?

varunendra
July 2nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Can you post outputs of:

lshw -C network
ifconfig -awhile it appears connected to the wifi.. (do not use wired connection while running ifconfig)
and..

dmesg | tail -20
when it gets disconnected (asks for passkey)

zeke1312
July 3rd, 2011, 01:22 AM
Thank you. I used a password which included alpha and I am now connected. Hummm...but it does work now!