PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP!! HELP!! Stupid Unity Causing My Blood Pressure To Elevate!!!

pedal2themedal
June 30th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I am using 11.04, and I am having some issues with this crappy Unity stuff. First off, I cannot believe that they are using this as it's default desktop environment as it is a giant piece of dung. It may work for light users, but anything more complicated that checking your email is ridiculous. Anywho, enough ranting here and on to the question.

I am a big fan of the aero snap feature which is the only reason I upgraded. I tried to get it to work on 10.10 but it would not.

I used AWN as my Menu bar in 10.10 and I love it, but I cannot figure out how to get that stupid Unity taskbar off the top of the screen. I also tried loading classic ubuntu with gnome, and I go to edit the desktop environment preferences, and it is already showed to be awn even though it is popping up gnome, and the windows snapping does not work in my classic mode, and before anybody asks, I am NOT in the no effects classic, just the plain old classic gnome selection.

Any help guys? I like AWN better that anything I have tried as it looks amazing and rocks at being customized, but I am afraid I may have to switch to KDE and I don't really want to.

Krytarik
June 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Me, too, loving the hell out of AWN! :-D

So, this guide should help you:
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/05/run-awn-dock-in-natty-narwhal.html

Greetings.

dFlyer
June 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Either work through your issues with Unity, use gnome classic or downgrade to 10.10 until 11.10. No need to bad mouth a young desktop environment. I've been using Unity since beta1 and have found it stable, just not configurable, but that will change over time.

pedal2themedal
July 2nd, 2011, 12:34 AM
Either work through your issues with Unity, use gnome classic or downgrade to 10.10 until 11.10. No need to bad mouth a young desktop environment. I've been using Unity since beta1 and have found it stable, just not configurable, but that will change over time.

While this would not be an issue, I like to stay updated with things, I have since solved the problem by switching to Linux Mint Xfce and will be staying with mint from now on, sorry Ubuntu, you have lost my support.

Duncan Williams
July 2nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
using peppermint 2.
I am using ubuntu 11.04, a bit of mint
and avant as dock.
http://files.myopera.com/DuncanWilliams/usercss/nudderscreen2.png